Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Why teaching jobs are becoming the new career choice for the millenial?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cashmita22)
    Very few of the people I know have gone into teaching, in fact they are crying out for teachers in some subjects so it cant be that popular of a job.

ReputationRep:
    Who says it is?
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    With changing day our decision, choice and action are changing and have acquired a dynamic state. The same dynamism is also visible in our career choices. We are constantly looking out for jobs.. To be precise we are not just looking "jobs" we are looking for opportunities that provide us with steady financial support, at the same time it needs to be unique and characteristically rich enough to encourage and challenge us to do better. I personally believe that teaching is one such profession that provide us with dynamism. If we look into statistics and research reports it states the young crowd especially women , mid life career changers, travelers, and many others are looking forward to teaching career..

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cashmita22)
    are they? Any news articles or data suggesting that more millenials are becoming teachers?

I'm not implying that your speaking *******s, Just as someone who works in education, Im very interested to see any research in the area, and especially anything that points to an increase in the teaching profession.

I would say anacodatly that their is a huge growing market for 'training + coaching'. I'm not sure about traditional teaching as such, but as millenials are becoming more and more focused on supposed self-improvement, the market for professional coaching/mentoring outside of traditional education. seems very lucrative. Life coaches, diet coaches, creative coaches, etc. etc.

ReputationRep:
    let me see,teachers are getting older some are even near retirement age.... milennials are old enough to go into the profession.

I think a lot of people want to go into it to see people learn, people have largely altruistic reasons for doing so. But reasons vary some people are interested in achievement and career satisfaction others just think about money.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by fallen_acorns)
    are they? Any news articles or data suggesting that more millenials are becoming teachers?

I'm not implying that your speaking *******s, Just as someone who works in education, Im very interested to see any research in the area, and especially anything that points to an increase in the teaching profession.

I would say anacodatly that their is a huge growing market for 'training + coaching'. I'm not sure about traditional teaching as such, but as millenials are becoming more and more focused on supposed self-improvement, the market for professional coaching/mentoring outside of traditional education. seems very lucrative. Life coaches, diet coaches, creative coaches, etc. etc.
    I agree with your point that training is also a good career option for the upcoming generation. However, i would appreciate if you can speak little decently.

Secondly I wish to highlight that teaching is no more restricted to traditional teaching. the entire concept of teaching has been changed. The modern concept says teachers are more like educator or mentors, who guide their students to show them the pathway and encourage students to be their-self.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dodo0099)
    let me see,teachers are getting older some are even near retirement age.... milennials are old enough to go into the profession.

I think a lot of people want to go into it to see people learn, people have largely altruistic reasons for doing so. But reasons vary some people are interested in achievement and career satisfaction others just think about money.
    one of the biggest reasons I have seen is because it is an incredibly easy entrance into a career that is deemed by the majority of society as being respectable. a lot of my middle class friends who did non-conventional subjects at school are now teachers. The pattern was pretty predictable for most: study a subject without great job prospects.. keep teaching as a backup - apply for jobs in their final year of university - get rejected from many.. apply for their PGCE.

They know that the money is reasonable, its an incredibly safe job, its not to hard to get a job in most subjects, and when they sit around a dinner table, their job is respectable (unlike say working in low-end retail or the service industry, witthin middle class circles that is)

The exception to this that I have seen in my personal experiance is primary school teachers. I have never met a primary school teacher who didn't have a desire to work with kids/be a primary school teacher for a good while. But that could just be my own experiance.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by fallen_acorns)
    one of the biggest reasons I have seen is because it is an incredibly easy entrance into a career that is deemed by the majority of society as being respectable. a lot of my middle class friends who did non-conventional subjects at school are now teachers. The pattern was pretty predictable for most: study a subject without great job prospects.. keep teaching as a backup - apply for jobs in their final year of university - get rejected from many.. apply for their PGCE.

They know that the money is reasonable, its an incredibly safe job, its not to hard to get a job in most subjects, and when they sit around a dinner table, their job is respectable (unlike say working in low-end retail or the service industry, witthin middle class circles that is)

The exception to this that I have seen in my personal experiance is primary school teachers. I have never met a primary school teacher who didn't have a desire to work with kids/be a primary school teacher for a good while. But that could just be my own experiance.

Thank you for sharing your experience. Every coin has a flip side and in the same manner with life we do have positive and negative side. A person can be learned but cant assure the same person to be a great teacher on the other hand there can be some who may have not been a very good performer academically but they are great teachers. Teaching is all about passion and ones love for changing the society. Teacher play a crucial role in molding the child's future and and give it a shape. However, I do agree with what you shared. Yes there is a group of people who thinks its the easiest entrance to the career world but at the same time they should be conscious before taking this as a profession as they are highly responsible for shaping the society..

ReputationRep:
    I fell into university teaching as a side-effect of wanting to get a doctorate and write books. I love it now, best thing I ever did.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by gjd800)
    I fell into university teaching as a side-effect of wanting to get a doctorate and write books. I love it now, best thing I ever did.
    Great!! At times situations comes with surprises!!

Poll
Who is most responsible for your success at university
Useful resources

Articles and guides:

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A-Z of careers Advice on choosing a careerCV writing helpCovering letter helpInterview tips

Featured recruiter profiles:

CGI logo

CGI is open for applications

"Offering a range of apprentice and sponsored degree positions."

Deutsche Bank logo

Deutsche Bank is recruiting

"Thrive in an international banking environment"

ICAEW logo

Merck

"Merck is a global leader in specialized pharma & chemicals – join us!"

Army logo

The Army is recruiting now

"With hundreds of roles available, there’s more than one way to be the best."

Bianca Miller, runner-up on The Apprentice

Handle your digital footprint

What would an employer find out about you on Google? Find out how to take control.

Quick links:

Unanswered career sector and employment threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.