The Student Room Group
On campus at the University of Southampton
University of Southampton
Southampton
Visit website

New student joining University of Southampton this September(2018).

I need to know about the best halls for an aerospace engineering student.please include things like cost of living,distance from campus and market,bus links , favourable for international student and all that.
Original post by INDRANEEL SINGH
I need to know about the best halls for an aerospace engineering student.please include things like cost of living,distance from campus and market,bus links , favourable for international student and all that.

The accommodation officer will have all this info and access to virtual tours.
On campus at the University of Southampton
University of Southampton
Southampton
Visit website

Having visited Southampton many times worked in the uni(work experience) and previously lived there for four years I'd say that the Mayflower halls look good.

You've got a bus stop across the road where the U1 bus (the one you need for uni) leaves from about every 15 mins if my memory serves me correctly.There is a Co-op at street level and also a gym (which i think is private) in the halls.

Your also close to the center of town including 2 shopping centers (the Mall an West Quays) and there are also shops on above bar street conveniently where the entrances to The Mall and West Quays are. your also a sort walk from a cinema a theater and the train station so if you fancy a day out in London or somewhere a bit further a field than Mc Donalds it's easy to do so. you also about a 2 min walk from a Huge Asda (Wal mart) for when you want to do a larger food shop.

does that help at all?
Original post by jonathanemptage
Having visited Southampton many times worked in the uni(work experience) and previously lived there for four years I'd say that the Mayflower halls look good.

You've got a bus stop across the road where the U1 bus (the one you need for uni) leaves from about every 15 mins if my memory serves me correctly.There is a Co-op at street level and also a gym (which i think is private) in the halls.

Your also close to the center of town including 2 shopping centers (the Mall an West Quays) and there are also shops on above bar street conveniently where the entrances to The Mall and West Quays are. your also a sort walk from a cinema a theater and the train station so if you fancy a day out in London or somewhere a bit further a field than Mc Donalds it's easy to do so. you also about a 2 min walk from a Huge Asda (Wal mart) for when you want to do a larger food shop.

does that help at all?

Yes.,thanks. But i think mayflower is a bit expensive.
Reply 4
Yes.,thanks. But i think mayflower is a bit expensive.
If cost is a factor then you should be looking at self-catering at either Glen Eyre or Wessex Lane. Glen Eyre is closer to the Highfield Campus but is at the top of a hill. Wessex Lane is further away but has better access to shops.

The accommodation comes with a free Unilink bus pass and both halls are just a short bus journey from Highfields. Most students go into Portswood (accessible by bus) for food shopping as there is an Iceland and a Farm Foods both of which have very reasonably priced food.

There is not a particular accommodation which is best for international students.
Original post by nutz99
If cost is a factor then you should be looking at self-catering at either Glen Eyre or Wessex Lane. Glen Eyre is closer to the Highfield Campus but is at the top of a hill. Wessex Lane is further away but has better access to shops.

The accommodation comes with a free Unilink bus pass and both halls are just a short bus journey from Highfields. Most students go into Portswood (accessible by bus) for food shopping as there is an Iceland and a Farm Foods both of which have very reasonably priced food.

There is not a particular accommodation which is best for international students.

What about choosing a part catered room. Is it worth it and is the food good. Because I think self catered is a messy thing... U know making ur own food n all.
Reply 6
What about choosing a part catered room. Is it worth it and is the food good. Because I think self catered is a messy thing... U know making ur own food n all.
You get 2 meals a day Monday to Friday and one meal on Saturday and Sunday so you will have to do some cooking unless you eat out. I have heard the food is good.

Self-catering is usually the cheaper option and you should be able to manage on about £25-£30 per week. It also means you eat when you want to eat. If you have a day when your first lecture is at 12:00 do you really want to be getting up early just for breakfast.

As an international student obviously you can stay in halls every year but most UK students find private accommodation for their second year (it's cheaper than halls) which is why it is usually a good idea to learn the basics about cooking.
I’ll be joining Southampton in September too, and am going through the same problem.
Although Mayfield is a bit more expensive it seems the best option out of all of them as it is in a good location not too far not too close.
Original post by amarpreetbehal
I’ll be joining Southampton in September too, and am going through the same problem.
Although Mayfield is a bit more expensive it seems the best option out of all of them as it is in a good location not too far not too close.

Are you INDIAN? Cause I am. Which course?
But mayfield doesn't offers part catering service:frown:
Are you INDIAN? Cause I am. Which course?
But mayfield doesn't offers part catering service:frown:

Hey, yes I am, I am going to do History polar opposite of you. I take it you are an international student? Ask your mum to teach you some dhal recipes before you leave :tongue:. Im sure you could get by, self catering is a lot cheaper and convenient.
Hi Indraneel,
Exciting times for you!! If you're looking for something like uni halls, maybe I can help you.
Hampton Square is just 10 minutes away from uni (literally at the end of the road!) so we're pretty close. We have an on-site gym, cinema room, virtual exercise room, study room, a pretty cool amphitheatre; we also have security guards on site during the night and during the weekends when we're not here.
Our room prices start at £148pw with all bills included, all facilities are of course free of charge and because we're so close to the uni, you wouldn't even need to spend on the commute!
Here's our facebook: facebook.com/hamptonsq
We have pictures up if you're interested, you can also message us there if you want to chat.

Nora
Original post by amarpreetbehal
Hey, yes I am, I am going to do History polar opposite of you. I take it you are an international student? Ask your mum to teach you some dhal recipes before you leave :tongue:. Im sure you could get by, self catering is a lot cheaper and convenient.

Sure:u:. Learning to cook is a must. See you hopefully in the campus:biggrin:
Good luck with the move. See you there ☺️
Hi, how is the accommodation hunting going? If you're still looking for somewhere, we have studios avalible for the upcoming academic year. We also have quite a few international students from your University living here already.

All bills are included in the price, and we're near a Unilink bus stop. Our building is also on the same road as the shops and market!

You can also benefit from our social hub, gym, events, secure bike storage and laundry room - all in the same building. You'll have unlimited hot drinks from our machine in the lobby, with grab-and-go breakfasts every morning on the way to Uni.

If this the sort of thing you're after, you can view our rooms in 360° at https://www.unilife.co.uk or you can email [email protected] with any questions. Feel free to reply here too, and I'll get back to you as soon as I can!

Hope to hear from you :smile:
Rebekah

Quick Reply

Latest