Am I driving well for my level (3rd lesson 6 hours in)

Watch
Helper34
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
I am an older driver (28) and I have my test booked in two months time. I know its quick but due to personal circumstances I need to have my license. I have passed my theory; On my first lesson last monday I was driving around local town. This was 10 minutes in after the hour of safety etc. He drove me back and said I had done well etc, but the next day I woke up with a bad cold. I had my next lesson and I didnt leave the industrial estate.. It went terrible. At the end, even though I explained I was unwell etc he didn't seem interested, just ended it with saying I would need more lessons than anticipated. I had a week break because I was unwell and went back today.

I was doing starts and hill starts perfectly, so we left after ten minutes. I drove quite a way from where I live to a nearby town, and the on the way I was making mistakes based on perception (not enough room from the curb), stalling not often but panicking at roundabouts and basically basic stuff.

I drove us the longest I have ever travelled in one sitting, and we got to the turn to my road and I went to swap gear to second. I had been in third and I put us in 4th by accident (had done this couple of times earlier), panicked and instructor helped me onto the road in second. He had a list of mistakes I had made (during the lesson I pointed out that perception etc would take time to get used to, he didn"t answer) and once again started saying we needed a "lot more" and that I may you guessed it.. need more lessons!

I am posting on here to see if I am at a good level at the moment and considering if I should get a diff instructor as the only times he praised me was when I did a perfect clurch move off.. At one point he even got fustrated because he was having to "tell me what to do when I should know it" when I stalled in a petrol station when someone cut us off.

JUST TO CLARIFY I am doing six hours a week and going to do between 30 and 40 or more depending if I need it.
uberteknik
  • Study Helper
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by Jack9889)
I am an older driver (28) and I have my test booked in two months time. I know its quick but due to personal circumstances I need to have my license. I have passed my theory; On my first lesson last monday I was driving around local town. This was 10 minutes in after the hour of safety etc. He drove me back and said I had done well etc, but the next day I woke up with a bad cold. I had my next lesson and I didnt leave the industrial estate.. It went terrible. At the end, even though I explained I was unwell etc he didn't seem interested, just ended it with saying I would need more lessons than anticipated. I had a week break because I was unwell and went back today.

I was doing starts and hill starts perfectly, so we left after ten minutes. I drove quite a way from where I live to a nearby town, and the on the way I was making mistakes based on perception (not enough room from the curb), stalling not often but panicking at roundabouts and basically basic stuff.

I drove us the longest I have ever travelled in one sitting, and we got to the turn to my road and I went to swap gear to second. I had been in third and I put us in 4th by accident (had done this couple of times earlier), panicked and instructor helped me onto the road in second. He had a list of mistakes I had made (during the lesson I pointed out that perception etc would take time to get used to, he didn"t answer) and once again started saying we needed a "lot more" and that I may you guessed it.. need more lessons!

I am posting on here to see if I am at a good level at the moment and considering if I should get a diff instructor as the only times he praised me was when I did a perfect clurch move off.. At one point he even got fustrated because he was having to "tell me what to do when I should know it" when I stalled in a petrol station when someone cut us off.

JUST TO CLARIFY I am doing six hours a week and going to do between 30 and 40 or more depending if I need it.

No-one can tell how fast you will progress.

As with everything, practice is the key.

At this stage, you will make loads of mistakes and are very conscious of everything you do. Eventually, you will do things automatically and subconsciously.

Think of how you learned to ride a bicycle and the trauma of trying to keep balance and not falling over while steering and watching where you were going etc. The concentration was immense.

Then it became second nature - and so it will be with driving. Eventually you will one day think, "how did I get here? I don't remember a single part of that journey". That's when to start worrying! lol.
Helper34
Rep:
?
(Original post by uberteknik)
No-one can tell how fast you will progress.

As with everything, practice is the key.

At this stage, you will make loads of mistakes and are very conscious of everything you do. Eventually, you will do things automatically and subconsciously.

Think of how you learned to ride a bicycle and the trauma of trying to keep balance and not falling over while steering and watching where you were going etc. The concentration was immense.

Then it became second nature - and so it will be with driving. Eventually you will one day think, "how did I get here? I don't remember a single part of that journey". That's when to start worrying! lol.
Thank you, I feel like hes pushing me too hard for someone my level. Im going to see how the next couple of lessons go and I will go from there.
RuthieG101
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
he may be pushing you due to a booked test.
there will be a lot that he's your teacher and if you fail it may go on a record.

you're supposed to make these mistakes, as you're learning.

I started at 25. took me around 50 hours of lessons (I had 1 hour a week) I also drove my parents car twice a week. practice is the key, like the other comment it becomes second nature after a while.

good luck
Helper34
Rep:
?
Thank you, i had my next lesson an hour ago. It went better than yesterday, he says we still have work to do but thats fine with me and yeah its probably because my test is booked
uberteknik
  • Study Helper
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Thank you, i had my next lesson an hour ago. It went better than yesterday, he says we still have work to do but thats fine with me and yeah its probably because my test is booked
It does sound like he has your best interests at heart.

He will be comparing your driving ability as it is now, with where you need to be in order to pass the test and decided that you need to make faster progress if you are to meet the challenge in the allocated time. That's not a reflection on you or him. It simply means he wants you to succeed but has not had experience of many (if any) people attempting your chosen path on which to base his assessment.

Try not to take it personally and keep plodding away. Positive feedback is hard to give when you first start which is why it seems harsh and unforgiving. As you relax and things start falling into place, the positive feedback should also improve.

On the test day you will either pass (job well done) or fail - more practice and a new test date. It's as simple as that.

Good luck. Do your best (I'm sure you already are) and keep us appraised with how you are progressing.
It's****ingWOODY
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Thank you, I feel like hes pushing me too hard for someone my level. Im going to see how the next couple of lessons go and I will go from there.
Best idea really. Too early to tell at this stage. Him getting angry at you for not having mastered the basics 6 hours in is very unfair, but yeah, see if things get better.
Helper34
Rep:
?
(Original post by It's****ingWOODY)
Best idea really. Too early to tell at this stage. Him getting angry at you for not having mastered the basics 6 hours in is very unfair, but yeah, see if things get better.
Thanks guys, yeah I just finished another two hours today. Only major thing was when we were meant to be going 60mph and I was 40, went faster downhill and he freaked out swearing and stuff while righting the car (i was shaking after) rest was minor mistakes. Will update on Friday after my fifth lesson.
Helper34
Rep:
?
Did my lesson yesterday. I started stalling a bit - I should be putting gas on at the same time, I thought because of the noise I shouldn't be. I asked him honestly how I am doing - He said that he isn't worried about my test date, but I don't have much natural ability (I am 10 hours in). Nerves are still a massive problem, I will stop too early or change gears too early... Does anyone have any experience with this? As in dealing with the nerves? Overall it was okay, just so goddamn nervous but the joke is obviously if I stop too early etc that in itself is a safety hazard so it's counter productive... Thanks guys.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you travelling in the Uni student travel window (3-9 Dec) to go home for Christmas?

Yes (49)
31.41%
No - I have already returned home (19)
12.18%
No - I plan on travelling outside these dates (33)
21.15%
No - I'm staying at my term time address over Christmas (14)
8.97%
No - I live at home during term anyway (41)
26.28%

Watched Threads