Can I do medicine with a BTEC Level 3 in Applied Science? Watch

This discussion is closed.
em_panucked
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
Due to being discalcular, I didn't qualify for A Level Chemistry, so I'm doing a Level 3 BTEC in Applied Science, Biology History and Psych AS. Would it be possible to do Medicine with a BTEC?
username2911200
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by em_panucked)
Due to being discalcular, I didn't qualify for A Level Chemistry, so I'm doing a Level 3 BTEC in Applied Science, Biology History and Psych AS. Would it be possible to do Medicine with a BTEC?
No, not at all. No university accepts BTEC for medicine; it is a very academic course which requires A-level/IB HL Chemistry and another science (psychology is not counted as a science for medical schools), preferably biology (sometimes maths or physics is acceptable without biology, but not for 95%+ of medical schools). BTEC Applied Science in any form contains nowhere the amount of required scientific knowledge for medicine, especially not the implied single award you are taking. Even the full diploma wouldn't be accepted for any medical school; BTECs are not what they want.
HateOCR
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
No
yt7777
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
There are some unis that accept BTEC Applied Science for Medicine, off the top of my head I think Plymouth, Keele, UEA as well as some others (most with a foundation year with the exception of Plymouth I believe). It could be worth contacting Lancaster too as they state "Our qualifications criteria are flexible and evaluated on a case by case basis." they say the same for both A levels and BTEC.

You may also want to consider doing a 3 year BSc medical related degree (e.g. Biomedical science) and then do PG medicine. You could do a BSc/MSci in Applied Medical Sciences at University College London (UCL) if you were to achieve grades of DDD (distinctions) on your BTEC in Applied Science

Hope this helps!

EDIT:

Cardiff also accept the BTEC for Medicine (6 yrs) - "The BTEC Level 3 National Extended Diploma in Applied Science at DDD level is an acceptable qualification for entry to the six year Foundation Programme (A104). " - https://www.cardiff.ac.uk/study/unde...icine/medicine
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• De Montfort University
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 7 Dec '19
  • Buckinghamshire New University
    Undergraduate Undergraduate
    Sat, 7 Dec '19
  • Regent's University London
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 7 Dec '19

Which party will you be voting for in the General Election?

Conservatives (77)
18.87%
Labour (200)
49.02%
Liberal Democrats (57)
13.97%
Green Party (26)
6.37%
Brexit Party (5)
1.23%
Independent Group for Change (Change UK) (3)
0.74%
SNP (8)
1.96%
Plaid Cymru (3)
0.74%
Democratic Unionist Party (DUP) (0)
0%
Sinn Fein (6)
1.47%
SDLP (0)
0%
Ulster Unionist (2)