The Student Room Group

Where to study electronic engineering in London part time?

I've nearly graduated from Uni and will start working in London in Sept. I have quite a strong interest in electronics (not home electrics) and was looking for some part time (evening) courses in London that I can attend after work. I'm not interested in gaining a qualification, just a good course to learn the foundations so I can teach myself once I'm done. So far, I can only find degree courses online, any Londoner's or students here that can help?
You're likely better off doing courses on something like coursera to get what you're looking for.
Yeh I had a look online but I'm afraid I'll get distracted as with most online courses. I learn best in a structured way, when I have target to achieve so I felt a, part time or weekend thing would be best. I can't believe there's hardly anything of the type available...
Original post by hamzaahmad786
Yeh I had a look online but I'm afraid I'll get distracted as with most online courses. I learn best in a structured way, when I have target to achieve so I felt a, part time or weekend thing would be best. I can't believe there's hardly anything of the type available...

Well if it's not leading to a qualification there's probably no money in it for anyone to put on a course.

There's mooc courses as already mentioned.

There's almost certainly hacker groups, makerspaces, clubs of some sort in London - so probably someone there who could show you the ropes
recently announced e.g. of an interest group meeting (not in london though)
https://www.meetup.com/iotliverpool/events/246805700/

TBH it's possible to self teach - there's tutorials of various qualities on youtube, various books and you can get components, modules and kits really cheap of the internet these days.
Original post by hamzaahmad786

The online courses are structured and the paid ones come with a certificate at the end.

Like Joinedup said, if it doesn't come with a qualification at the end it's unlikely that people will be willing to pay for it, and activities which would meet your requirements would be aimed towards school kids rather than adults, and even then wouldn't be as long term.
There is amateur radio licenses.

these guys are apparently willing to train noobs up in London and give them the RSGB exams https://wiki.london.hackspace.org.uk/view/Group:Amateur_Radio#Study_Courses_.26_Exams

radio amateurs are ime similar in outlook to astronomers - pretty generous with their time when passing on knowledge... they also tend to know a shitload about electronics
Wow thanks guys, really useful links. I must stress I am a complete amateur when it comes to electronics, hence why I was looking for an absolute beginners course (kinda like the sort of things people who come fresh out of high school/college would do like BTECS/HNCs etc.). If anyone has anything else to add to this thread, please do contribute!

Quick Reply

Latest