The Student Room Group

Suzuki swift first car? 17 Year old.

Is a suzuki swift a decent first car option?
I was stuck on getting a corsa but i have seen the swifts latest variants and they look nice tbh not too small or girly like ka/500 so it could be an option.
Has anyone heard good/bad things about the car and have any reviews on the car?
Also is insurance cheaper as a student in education or full time worker?
TY
(edited 6 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by MrCole&Co
Is a suzuki swift a decent first car option?
I was stuck on getting a corsa but i have seen the swifts latest variants and they look nice tbh not too small or girly like ka/500 so it could be an option.
Has anyone heard good/bad things about the car and have any reviews on the car?
Also is insurance cheaper as a student in education or full time worker?
TY

From what I've seen, declaring you are a student is generally cheaper than declaring you are employed, however, it depends on the job as to whether this rings true or not.
Original post by IWMTom
From what I've seen, declaring you are a student is generally cheaper than declaring you are employed, however, it depends on the job as to whether this rings true or not.

its only as i am doing an apprenticeship and turning 17 in a few months. So i was just asking as maybe if your full time they see you as more reliable and a better person to insure
Reply 3
its only as i am doing an apprenticeship and turning 17 in a few months. So i was just asking as maybe if your full time they see you as more reliable and a better person to insure

Remember though, you must declare whichever you do the most; you don't have a choice of which you pick.
Reply 4
I know 3 family members and a friend (new driver) who have swifts and they all love them. Very nippy for a small car with the only drawback being a lack of space in the boot. As with all Japanese cars they are very reliable.

My friend managed to get insurance for around £1500, without a black box. Obviously your quote may be different as location is a factor.
Original post by IWMTom
Remember though, you must declare whichever you do the most; you don't have a choice of which you pick.

well i mean, i dont know what it falls under, im 16 at the moment in time and do a apprenticeship in the city of london full time 9-5 everyday. No college etc. So maybe its full time? But then again im still young so it may fall under education. Do you have any idea tom?
Reply 6
well i mean, i dont know what it falls under, im 16 at the moment in time and do a apprenticeship in the city of london full time 9-5 everyday. No college etc. So maybe its full time? But then again im still young so it may fall under education. Do you have any idea tom?

If there isn't any sort of category for apprenticeship, I'd say full time employment.

I'm an Apprentice as well (well in my final month before I go full time). I've always used the role I do (Cargo Agent / Communications Executive) instead of "Apprentice" or "Student". As an Apprentice I can't see why you'd not theoretically be considered a student, especially if it's a course that requires college attendance. You're still eligible for student discounts, UCAS card etc.
Original post by nevershear
I'm an Apprentice as well (well in my final month before I go full time). I've always used the role I do (Cargo Agent / Communications Executive) instead of "Apprentice" or "Student". As an Apprentice I can't see why you'd not theoretically be considered a student, especially if it's a course that requires college attendance. You're still eligible for student discounts, UCAS card etc.

When i like select occupation it doesnt include anything about apprenticeship, only education or full time employment. What do i pick? I dont go college or school what so ever, i go to a apprenticeship provider to complete the work involved to complete the course but thats it.

if it helps i do office administrator / health care- NHS
My role isnt called office admin but its governance admin which is the closest subsitute
Swift is a decent car if you don't mind having a pitifully small boot, do not buy lower spec models on the newer types, as they've returned to putting drum brakes on the rear again on the SZ1 and SZ2 models.

If as an apprentice, you are in college 18 hours a week or more (ie not at your work placement), you are classified as a student. If that isn't the case, saying you're a student on the insurance would make your insurance completely void, and you must put yourself down as being employed.
Original post by GiantKiwi
Swift is a decent car if you don't mind having a pitifully small boot, do not buy lower spec models on the newer types, as they've returned to putting drum brakes on the rear again on the SZ1 and SZ2 models.

If as an apprentice, you are in college 18 hours a week or more (ie not at your work placement), you are classified as a student. If that isn't the case, saying you're a student on the insurance would make your insurance completely void, and you must put yourself down as being employed.

As i said i dont go to college at all and go to a apprenticeship provider to just do my course.

I am sure that i full under student as im 16 and do an apprenticeship.

But i would have to call up the insurance companies to clarify
When i like select occupation it doesnt include anything about apprenticeship, only education or full time employment. What do i pick? I dont go college or school what so ever, i go to a apprenticeship provider to complete the work involved to complete the course but thats it.

if it helps i do office administrator / health care- NHS
My role isnt called office admin but its governance admin which is the closest subsitute

My qualification work is in-house as well. Just put full-time employment in, you're not really commuting to a college or place of study (technically); you're predominantly commuting to "work"; so student is probably a bit of stretch although not entirely wrong.

Can you not just input Administrator by itself? In honesty I doubt it'll make much difference.
My qualification work is in-house as well. Just put full-time employment in, you're not really commuting to a college or place of study (technically); you're predominantly commuting to "work"; so student is probably a bit of stretch although not entirely wrong.

Can you not just input Administrator by itself? In honesty I doubt it'll make much difference.

" you're predominantly commuting to "work"" i wont be using the car to travel to work as its a good 1 hour drive and into the city of london, so a simple 2 quid train will be more efficeint
" you're predominantly commuting to "work"" i wont be using the car to travel to work as its a good 1 hour drive and into the city of london, so a simple 2 quid train will be more efficeint

Argh, that's given me a headache, because of this I imagine you'll be insuring your car as SDP only.

I'd still put in full time employment anyway. @IWMTom thoughts? (again)
Reply 14
Argh, that's given me a headache, because of this I imagine you'll be insuring your car as SDP only.

I'd still put in full time employment anyway. @IWMTom thoughts? (again)

Definitely.
Original post by IWMTom
Definitely.

im assuming that SDP is just social commuting like going mac ds or going out to shops?

What is the cheapest option as i assume that one "social only" is cheapest as less factors??..

I am sure that i full under student as im 16 and do an apprenticeship.

My Colleague's son is going through exactly the same situation, almost 17, doing an apprenticeship which is predominantly work placement based, and was told the information I gave by 5 major insurers (DirectLine, Aviva, AXA, Esure, Liverpool Victoria). He was told in his situation where he was working in his placement slot for 24 hours per week and the rest in college, that he wouldn't meet the requirements to be considered a full time student, and must select "employed".
Original post by GiantKiwi
My Colleague's son is going through exactly the same situation, almost 17, doing an apprenticeship which is predominantly work placement based, and was told the information I gave by 5 major insurers (DirectLine, Aviva, AXA, Esure, Liverpool Victoria). He was told in his situation where he was working in his placement slot for 24 hours per week and the rest in college, that he wouldn't meet the requirements to be considered a full time student, and must select "employed".

thankyou buddy, only difference is that i dont go to college but i will take that into consideration.

I know it may sound very stupid but i have taken into account for a finacned toyota gt 86. 2 ltr but only 200 a month on finance.

Insurance is looking at about 6-7 thousand though which is abit high but i was looking at 2.5k atleast on a 1 ltr
im assuming that SDP is just social commuting like going mac ds or going out to shops?.

Yes. But this means if you ever drive to work one day, you're driving against the terms of your insurance.
Yes. But this means if you ever drive to work one day, you're driving against the terms of your insurance.

Yeah thats fine, i would never drive over an hour into the busy city of london. You have to pay a fee to drive inside the city and its so busy i wouldnt be able to move.

Makes alot more sense paying 2 quid to get a train home.

Quick Reply

Latest