Traviata
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
Hi,

I'm a first year Engineering student, currently at Oxford. Recently I've been researching legal sector as a potential destination for after I finish my first degree.

I'd like to ask anyone who has experience with the careers in the IP sector going into law from a science background about their thoughts on doing the conversion course. As far as I understand, it is not required for those who wish to work particularly with the IP offices, but could be indispensable for anyone wanting to work as an in-house attorney for a bigger law firm- is that the case , or do I misinterpret facts here? Would I be better off doing GDL anyway?

Also, I'd be thankful if anyone could share their experience with applying for law internships whilst on a 4 year undergraduate course.

Thanks in advance.
Traviata
Rep:
?
(Original post by J-SP)
The GDL will be required if you want to become a solicitor/lawyer (although this will be replaced by the SQE in 2020).

If you want to become a patent attorney, then it isn't necessary.

It really depends on which career path you take.

Yes, I have recently read about this new qualification policy. I was not able to make perfect sense of it- the field is still quite foreign to me, so - I must admit- majority of the nuances escapes me. I expect to graduate in 2021- would this mean that I wouldn't benefit from doing GDL as much, or at all really, were I to look into soliciting?
Traviata
Rep:
?
(Original post by J-SP)
You won't be able to start the GDL in 2021 - it won't exist for new starters by then and will only be available to those who have started the courbefore Autumn 2020.

You would need to do the SQE which will replace the GDL in Autumn 2020.
I understand- thank you for clarifying that.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you worried that a cap in student numbers would affect your place at uni?

Yes (246)
60.29%
No (84)
20.59%
Not sure (78)
19.12%

Watched Threads