The Student Room Group

This discussion is now closed.

Check out other Related discussions

Why do men invent everything?

Even today, men are inventing almost everything. Facebook, Google, Youtube, Tesla cars etc.

Scroll to see replies

Original post by redeau7
Even today, men are inventing almost everything. Facebook, Google, Youtube, Tesla cars etc.

Probably because they were priveleged enough to get to their positions?
Reply 2
Original post by ugaaa5
Probably because they were priveleged enough to get to their positions?

Sorry, what position was Mark Zuckerburg in sitting in his dorm room when he invented Facebook?

What position were the inventors of Bitcoin & Ethereum in? Both invented by men from poor countries (Russia and, most likely, China).
Harvard Stellar Classification Scheme.
Disposable Diapers.
Radiation.
Kevlar.
Dishwasher.
Windscreen wiper.
Chocolate chip cookies.
Torpedoes Radio Guidance.
DNA Structure.

Women have made many discoveries and invented many crucial products over the years. Just give it a google.
:facepalm:
Original post by mah1000000
Disposable Diapers.
Radiation.
Kevlar.
Dishwasher.
Windscreen wiper.
Chocolate chip cookies.
DNA Structure.

Women have made many discoveries and invented many crucial products over the years. Just give it a google.

I would hardly call chocolate chip cookies a crucial invention, wasn’t radiation technically discovered rather than invented?
Original post by redeau7
Sorry, what position was Mark Zuckerburg in sitting in his dorm room when he invented Facebook?

What position were the inventors of Bitcoin & Ethereum in? Both invented by men from poor countries (Russia and, most likely, China).

Original post by redeau7

Sitting in a dorm room in Harvard...
Also, Bitcoin and Ethereum are useless. Please back up your claim.
Reply 7
Disposable Diapers.
Radiation.
Kevlar.
Dishwasher.
Windscreen wiper.
Chocolate chip cookies.
DNA Structure.

I should have been more clear. I mean invented things in the technology field.

For example, the woman that 'invented the dishwasher' basically made a box with a wooden crank to splash water onto dishes. Not really comparable to say, the first electric car, or almost every big technology platform out there.
(edited 6 years ago)
You don't seem to understand that many of the these people have come from industries that were even more male dominated back during the time in which they invented these things.
Unsuprisingly, these were also huge emerging industries during the time.
Reply 9
Original post by ugaaa5
Sitting in a dorm room in Harvard..

?

Harvard is 53% male 47% female

Yet no females from Harvard are inventing any big tech companies.

Original post by ugaaa5

Also, Bitcoin and Ethereum are useless. Please back up your claim.

1.5 million transactions per day says otherwise
Original post by redeau7

FYI, Zuckerberg was not at Harvard in 2017.
Original post by redeau7

If it is useful, buy a mining rig or invest in it.
I'd like to see.how much you lose. Cryptocurrencies are crashing.
Disposable Diapers.
Radiation.
Kevlar.
Dishwasher.
Windscreen wiper.
Chocolate chip cookies.
DNA Structure.

I don't disagree that women have made many inventions and discoveries, but the structure of DNA is an odd example... as it was discovered by two men!
Some research has demonstrated that, whilst the average female and male are of equal intelligence, male intelligence is more platykurtic. As such, both of the extremes are comprised mainly of men - in other words, both the very least and very most intelligent people are likely to be men. Perhaps it is these most intelligent men that are innovative.

This theory, however, is contested.
I think the only logical explanation is that they are much too preoccupied with bearing and rearing children and making themselves look good for men.
Original post by redeau7
even today, men are inventing almost everything. Facebook, google, youtube, tesla cars etc.

patriarchy
probably because women were expected to be domesticated and were not expected to pursue anything, things are obviously changing now.
Disposable Diapers.
Radiation.
Kevlar.
Dishwasher.
Windscreen wiper.
Chocolate chip cookies.
DNA Structure.

Lol, at first I thought you were listing reasons that men invented everything.
Original post by redeau7

maybe you should make something too!
I assume you're female...
Original post by CurlyBen
I don't disagree that women have made many inventions and discoveries, but the structure of DNA is an odd example... as it was discovered by two men!

Two men and Rosalind Franklin, the expert X-ray crystallographer who you never hear of because she was a woman and it was the 50s.
(edited 6 years ago)

Latest