The Student Room Group

Newbie here, currently applying for Sept 2018

Hi everyone. Thought this would be a good place to talk about my worries. I'm in the very early stages of my application for secondary English, have just registered with UCAS, am arranging school experience etc, but I'm a little confused about how the funding will work.

I rang Student Finance earlier today and if anything I'm more confused now!

What I can gather so far is:

1) English is a shortage subject but I have a 2:1 in a relevant degree so I should get access to the £15k bursary for 18/19 but
2) I'm not eligible for any student finance support because I've already received 1 round of SF support from when I did my degree in 2010-13.

That would be fine in itself, but what really threw a spanner in the works was that apparently, some subjects award bursaries based on SF eligibility. That bit is even on the Get Into Teaching website, in the small print.

"To receive a bursary or scholarship you must be entitled to support under the Student Finance England criteria."

So no SF funding = no bursary.

If I can't get any support at all, I may have to just delay everything! Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated.
Original post by Holte139
Hi everyone. Thought this would be a good place to talk about my worries. I'm in the very early stages of my application for secondary English, have just registered with UCAS, am arranging school experience etc, but I'm a little confused about how the funding will work.

I rang Student Finance earlier today and if anything I'm more confused now!

What I can gather so far is:

1) English is a shortage subject but I have a 2:1 in a relevant degree so I should get access to the £15k bursary for 18/19 but
2) I'm not eligible for any student finance support because I've already received 1 round of SF support from when I did my degree in 2010-13.

That would be fine in itself, but what really threw a spanner in the works was that apparently, some subjects award bursaries based on SF eligibility. That bit is even on the Get Into Teaching website, in the small print.

"To receive a bursary or scholarship you must be entitled to support under the Student Finance England criteria."

So no SF funding = no bursary.

If I can't get any support at all, I may have to just delay everything! Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated.

Surely if this was true then not many people would be able to fund their pgce as most would have used student finance to fund undergrad?.... The pgce is £9k, they can’t expect you to fund it yourself!

I’d like to know the answer to this too!

Btw.... there’s a 2018 applicants thread in the sticky x
Reply 2
Original post by oOLaurenOo
Surely if this was true then not many people would be able to fund their pgce as most would have used student finance to fund undergrad?.... The pgce is £9k, they can’t expect you to fund it yourself!

I’d like to know the answer to this too!

Btw.... there’s a 2018 applicants thread in the sticky x

Thanks for the link, will save that for in future!

I know right? I might try them again before the end of the week to get a second opinion and see if I can get more detail out of them. Who knows, things could change once applications for September open.

I know right? I might try them again before the end of the week to get a second opinion and see if I can get more detail out of them. Who knows, things could change once applications for September open.

I do hope it’s not true!.... I have been accepted on to a pgce in Sept and I’d have to turn it down if Indon’t qualify for student finance!

Original post by oOLaurenOo
I do hope it’s not true!.... I have been accepted on to a pgce in Sept and I’d have to turn it down if Indon’t qualify for student finance!

PGCE funding is treated differently to undergraduate. You'll both qualify for student finance provided you meet the normal criteria; having used Student Finance for your undergrad degree will make no difference. Any bursaries are in addition to your tuition fees and maintenance loans.
It is worrying that the process of becoming a teacher is so complicated that people cannot even work out what they are entitled to.
Original post by doctorwhofan98
PGCE funding is treated differently to undergraduate. You'll both qualify for student finance provided you meet the normal criteria; having used Student Finance for your undergrad degree will make no difference. Any bursaries are in addition to your tuition fees and maintenance loans.

I though this would be the case, thank you!
Original post by Mr M
It is worrying that the process of becoming a teacher is so complicated that people cannot even work out what they are entitled to.

Even more worrying that those at student finance don’t know what the deal is!
Reply 8

Thanks, do you know anywhere this is reported as fact? I'm not doubting you, I just want something concrete to talk to SF about when I speak to them again!
Thanks, do you know anywhere this is reported as fact? I'm not doubting you, I just want something concrete to talk to SF about when I speak to them again!

I guess this website might do? https://www.gov.uk/teacher-training-funding It states that anyone can get funding for teacher training - and since you must have a degree in order to do teacher training, you therefore will get funded.
Reply 10
I guess this website might do? https://www.gov.uk/teacher-training-funding It states that anyone can get funding for teacher training - and since you must have a degree in order to do teacher training, you therefore will get funded.

Thanks mate!

Quick Reply