The Student Room Group

Help me persuade the boyfriend to change his taste in cars!

Hi all!

The boyfriend (23) is looking for a car he can call his own after driving his family's bog-standard leased car for a couple of years. He works at a car manufacturer so the people he wants to "impress" are far more car-mad than me.
So he starts describing he wants something with more power (fair enough, currently a 1.0L petrol), then goes on to suggest he wants it to have character.
His idea of character is something you might purchase in a mid-life crisis in my opinion! He likes the look of a Jaguar XJR (older model so it's affordable) and XK8. Then after me expressing my feelings he goes in a completely different direction and suggests an Impreza.

The other week he was suggesting an Audi A7 leased which seemed more in the right direction to me, although it's a little out of the price range. His taste is definitely saloon/sports if the two even go together, and he used the words posh and sophisticated, which certainly doesn't correlate with the Impreza! (Probably from gaming...)

Any suggestions of what he might like, but will also gain him some respect at his place of work, and also my respect? I wouldn't blink an eye if he fancied a VW Golf, Mercedes A-class, Seat Ibiza or something similar. Perhaps they're just mainstream. Am I just being too judgemental?

Help!

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
What's his budget? I'm a big fan of the older BMWs. E36 and E46.

Should definitely get either an E36/46 M3. Fast, nice to look at, not too expensive right now and can get some decent examples if you look around.
Original post by carrotstar
Hi all!

The boyfriend (23) is looking for a car he can call his own........... Am I just being too judgemental?

Help!

Your bf needs to dump you and find someone worthy of his superior taste.
Reply 3
Original post by BigShack

Should definitely get either an E36/46 M3. Fast, nice to look at, not too expensive right now and can get some decent examples if you look around.

I think around 5k. Interesting choice!
Definitely encourage the old jag. Jaguars are gorgeous.
Reply 5
Original post by uberteknik
Your bf needs to dump you and find someone worthy of his superior taste.

How did I know someone would day that? Thanks but no thanks :wink: I'm not stopping him, just seeing if he'll liaise. It will be parked outside our house in a year's time if things go the way we plan!
How did I know someone would day that?

idk psychic?
Reply 7
Original post by uberteknik
idk psychic?

Not psychic enough to have predicted my boyfriend’s taste in cars, however... 😕
Not psychic enough to have predicted my boyfriend’s taste in cars, however... 😕

I feel your pain!
Original post by BigShack

might want to add in the E30 in there :wink:

makes sense OP
underpowered cars are a headache
a powerful car is where it is at :yep:
Hi all!

The boyfriend (23) is looking for a car he can call his own after driving his family's bog-standard leased car for a couple of years. He works at a car manufacturer so the people he wants to "impress" are far more car-mad than me.
So he starts describing he wants something with more power (fair enough, currently a 1.0L petrol), then goes on to suggest he wants it to have character.
His idea of character is something you might purchase in a mid-life crisis in my opinion! He likes the look of a Jaguar XJR (older model so it's affordable) and XK8. Then after me expressing my feelings he goes in a completely different direction and suggests an Impreza.

The other week he was suggesting an Audi A7 leased which seemed more in the right direction to me, although it's a little out of the price range. His taste is definitely saloon/sports if the two even go together, and he used the words posh and sophisticated, which certainly doesn't correlate with the Impreza! (Probably from gaming...)

Any suggestions of what he might like, but will also gain him some respect at his place of work, and also my respect? I wouldn't blink an eye if he fancied a VW Golf, Mercedes A-class, Seat Ibiza or something similar. Perhaps they're just mainstream. Am I just being too judgemental?

Help!

What about one of those FiAT Panda's? Not the new model. The ones from the early 2000s
Original post by Stevenmidlands9
What about one of those FiAT Panda's? Not the new model. The ones from the early 2000s

Why is everyone suggesting Fiat Pandas?

I hope it's just because the actual animal is adorable.

They do look pretty practical though.
I was expecting much worse.

My uncle has an excellent taste in cars, but poor taste in car colors. Only decent thing he's bought is his recent 16 plate XF.
What's your problem with imprezas? They're great cars, especially for the snow.
an impreza is the typical boy racer car. it is very good. i personally like it quite a bit
Original post by nevershear
I was expecting much worse.

My uncle has an excellent taste in cars, but poor taste in car colors. Only decent thing he's bought is his recent 16 plate XF.

Yes! I'm trying to convince him to in the XF direction, they just look so much more sleek... Just seen one on autotrader for under 5k though it does have mileage over 200k :frown:

Original post by Kyouya3S
What's your problem with imprezas? They're great cars, especially for the snow.

I think it's because I think of the Impreza as a "racer" sort of car, but if you saw my boyfriend in person you definitely wouldn't think it would suit him. Also they tend to be annoyingly loud and I imagine that comes with lack of fuel efficiency too!
Reply 16
Seat Leon 1.4 EcoTSI
Original post by Sochaux
Seat Leon 1.4 EcoTSI

Suggested this to him and he replied “Nah hatchbacks are boring”... thanks though! That’s right up my street but not his 😂
Golf gti, golf r , a class, Mini Cooper, Corsa, mercedes gla , bmw e30, Audi a1 , fiesta st, focus ,
My brother in law just got a Mercedes A class (company car) - very swish inside, built in sat-nav, decent boot - just don't get it in white (even if it is cheaper)

Quick Reply

Latest