Turn on thread page Beta
    •  Official Rep

ReputationRep:
     Official Rep
    One of UEA's academics, Dr Teresa Belton, has published an interesting article in The Conversation UK today on Why Boredom Can Be Good For You.

What are your thoughts on this? Do you agree - or do you think boredom is bad for your health?

- Laura, UEA Official Rep

ReputationRep:
    Boredom couldn't be good in any circumstances. Period!
    •  Official Rep

ReputationRep:
     Official Rep
    (Original post by casanova27)
    Great to hear your thoughts casanova27! How come?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by casanova27)
    idk occasionally if I'm bored at home
    i'll start cleaning or organising my stuff

sometimes i end up being productive

ReputationRep:
    I think boredom is a great thing. We need time to clear our mind and think things through. We live in a society of continual stimulation but I just don't see how this can be healthy.

ReputationRep:
    it's great... that is why i love TSR :heart:
    •  Official Rep

ReputationRep:
     Official Rep
    (Original post by Kolijames)
    I think boredom is a great thing. We need time to clear our mind and think things through. We live in a society of continual stimulation but I just don't see how this can be healthy.
    I thought the concept of 'Flow' as an explanation for the use of smart phones as fulfilling our mind's need for stimulation was very interesting - it certainly explains a lot about the common use of phones in order to kill time, and why it can be a difficult habit to break!

Do you practise clearing your mind often? Any tips?

Too much isn't.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by University of East Anglia)
    I thought the concept of 'Flow' as an explanation for the use of smart phones as fulfilling our mind's need for stimulation was very interesting - it certainly explains a lot about the common use of phones in order to kill time, and why it can be a difficult habit to break!

Do you practise clearing your mind often? Any tips?
    This idea that time must be filled is certainty detrimental to mental health.

Definitely, I find running and meditation to be the best ways of clearing my mind. No phones, no distractions. Just myself and nature ;-)
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    It can be, but too much isn't! For example I'm currently bored in bed as I'm ill which is good as it will help me get better, but being bored when I'm meant to be doing my homework means I get distracted and it takes twice as long which means my mind is active for longer which makes sleep more difficult.
    So it can be, but not in all situations!

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: January 24, 2018
Poll
Should predicted grades be removed from the uni application process
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.