EDEXCEL IAL self-study

Watch
Wing24
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
Hi. I will sit the IAL on May as a private candidate. I wonder if there are some useful and detail-explained resources online? Could you recommend me some of them which you commonly use? Many thanks for it.

Erin0404
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
I am also an Edexcel IAL private candidate, currently doing Maths, Stats, Biology and Chemistry.

There are tons of useful resources out there, it's just a matter of finding the ones that work for you!
I use the following websites for different resources:

Maths and Stats:
- http://www.physicsandmathstutor.com/ (great for notes)
- examsolutions.net
- https://getrevising.co.uk/ (great for notes)
- https://hegartymaths.com/
- Crash Course videos on YouTube

Biology and Chemistry:
- http://www.physicsandmathstutor.com/ (great for notes)
- https://snaprevise.co.uk/
- https://getrevising.co.uk/ (great for notes)
- Crash Course videos on YouTube
999tigger
Badges: 19
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by Wing24)
Hi. I will sit the IAL on May as a private candidate. I wonder if there are some useful and detail-explained resources online? Could you recommend me some of them which you commonly use? Many thanks for it.
http://www.cambridgeinternational.or...source-centre/

Whatever subject you are studying it is still the same subject as an English A level, just slight variations in syllabus. do invest in some decent textbooks from Amazon.

The Cambridge site has more exam papers and mark schemes plus the spec.
LaibJ
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by Wing24)
Same here! Where are you guys in the course right now? I find myself worrying that I wont finish in time, specially maths.

I mainly use ExamSolutions for maths and Allery Chemistry has amazing videos too. Biology for me is usually Khan Academy and random notes on youtube
Erin0404
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
I've got Chemistry A2 and Biology A2 left to complete (hopefully). I'm waiting on the release of my C34 Maths and S2 Stats mark.

I've staggered my A Levels and only focus on one subject per exam period instead of attempting all three at the same time. I felt that trying to do all three subjects at the same time (as a private, self taught candidate) would be a lot more work and might end up costing me an A in the long run.
By choosing to stagger the subjects, I have ended up writing the January, May, and October exam series' and have so far achieved the marks I've aimed for.
My advice would be to consider doing the above, instead of cramming, if you feel you may be unprepared!

Also, I make sure that I have at LEAST a month to revise past papers before exams begin. I think going through the books and notes is important, but actually going over exam papers has been the key to me getting the marks I want.
I do every exam paper I can get my hands on for each subject, note down the mark I achieve for each paper, and then redo the entire set of papers in order to compare my marks. By doing this I can see exactly what areas I need to revise and focus on, and I get an idea of the kinds of questions that come up and the way in which they're asked. By the time the actual exam comes around, it feels like just another past paper
LaibJ
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by Erin0404)
I've got Chemistry A2 and Biology A2 left to complete (hopefully). I'm waiting on the release of my C34 Maths and S2 Stats mark.

I've staggered my A Levels and only focus on one subject per exam period instead of attempting all three at the same time. I felt that trying to do all three subjects at the same time (as a private, self taught candidate) would be a lot more work and might end up costing me an A in the long run.
By choosing to stagger the subjects, I have ended up writing the January, May, and October exam series' and have so far achieved the marks I've aimed for.
My advice would be to consider doing the above, instead of cramming, if you feel you may be unprepared!

Also, I make sure that I have at LEAST a month to revise past papers before exams begin. I think going through the books and notes is important, but actually going over exam papers has been the key to me getting the marks I want.
I do every exam paper I can get my hands on for each subject, note down the mark I achieve for each paper, and then redo the entire set of papers in order to compare my marks. By doing this I can see exactly what areas I need to revise and focus on, and I get an idea of the kinds of questions that come up and the way in which they're asked. By the time the actual exam comes around, it feels like just another past paper

When do you plan on doing the exams you have left? I wish I could do that but my story's a bit more complicated. I only started the course in January and need to give the May exams for A2 since i plan on going to uni next year and the other exams would be way too late. :') How did you deal with being at home for so long? Thats taking its toll on me haha
Erin0404
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
I was planning on doing A2 Chemistry and Biology in May/June this year, but I've chosen to do Chemistry now and Biology in October rather.
I have emailed a few of the universities I am interested in applying to for next year, and since I would only have results for one A2 subject outstanding, they have said that I can apply and get provisional acceptance.
Get hold of the universities you're interested in and chat to them! By communicating with them now, you'll also build a 'presence' with them which I've heard is a good thing (so I've heard).

I attempted to continue working and studying at the same time, but ended up having to bite the bullet and move home last year in order to focus completely on my A Levels. Being almost 30 and deciding to make a career change, this was obviously a huge commitment/change...
But because this is what I want to do, it's made it a little easier I'm planning to study Veterinary Science, and this has been a dream of mine for long time, so I'm happy to do anything I need to in order to get there!
LaibJ
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by Erin0404)
I was planning on doing A2 Chemistry and Biology in May/June this year, but I've chosen to do Chemistry now and Biology in October rather.
I have emailed a few of the universities I am interested in applying to for next year, and since I would only have results for one A2 subject outstanding, they have said that I can apply and get provisional acceptance.
Get hold of the universities you're interested in and chat to them! By communicating with them now, you'll also build a 'presence' with them which I've heard is a good thing (so I've heard).

I attempted to continue working and studying at the same time, but ended up having to bite the bullet and move home last year in order to focus completely on my A Levels. Being almost 30 and deciding to make a career change, this was obviously a huge commitment/change...
But because this is what I want to do, it's made it a little easier I'm planning to study Veterinary Science, and this has been a dream of mine for long time, so I'm happy to do anything I need to in order to get there!

It's so cool that youre planning this out so thoroughly! I really hope you get into the course you're looking for! Sadly I dont think Australian universities will be that accepting of outstanding A levels but good luck to you!!
Erin0404
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
I was told that I could receive provisional acceptance if I only had one A2 mark outstanding (to be released in January 2018) by someone at Murdoch (my first choice) 👌Ask around! You’ve got nothing to lose by inquiring
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Poll: What factors affect your mental health most right now? Post-lockdown edition

Anxiousness about restrictions easing (21)
6.56%
Uncertainty around my education (35)
10.94%
Uncertainty around my future career prospects (37)
11.56%
Lack of purpose or motivation (46)
14.38%
Lack of support system (eg. teachers, counsellors, delays in care) (17)
5.31%
Impact lockdown had on physical health (14)
4.38%
Social worries (incl. loneliness/making friends) (31)
9.69%
Financial worries (22)
6.88%
Concern about myself or my loves ones getting/having been ill (14)
4.38%
Exposure to negative news/social media (19)
5.94%
Difficulty accessing real life entertainment (6)
1.88%
Lack of confidence in making big life decisions (34)
10.63%
Worry about missed opportunities during the pandemic (24)
7.5%

Watched Threads