The Student Room Group

i want to drop out of my current course but i want to go to uni

here's the story

i finished my a levels last year (my results were A*A*C) and went to uni, i dropped out very shortly because my mental health was struggling and when i came home i decided to do another further education 1 year course (equivalent to a levels) at a college near home, they let me on the course despite starting it 4 weeks late as long as i could catch up on the work which i did, however i really hate the course and the tutors, i don't have friends on the course because everyone already made their friendship groups before i got there and no one really makes the effort to speak to me, i feel isolated there and my mental health is really suffering having to spend long hours with little breaks where no one speaks to me and my tutors hardly give me any attention

i've applied for university again however my ucas includes the course im currently on and my reference is from my current course tutor, is it possible to drop out from my current course and still go to university this year? what proceedure should i take?

the course i'm doing right now is an art foundation degree (equivalent to a levels though) and i'm applying to uni for graphic design
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by soulmated
here's the story

i finished my a levels last year (my results were A*A*C) and went to uni, i dropped out very shortly because my mental health was struggling and when i came home i decided to do another further education 1 year course (equivalent to a levels) at a college near home, they let me on the course despite starting it 4 weeks late as long as i could catch up on the work which i did, however i really hate the course and the tutors, i don't have friends on the course because everyone already made their friendship groups before i got there and no one really makes the effort to speak to me, i feel isolated there and my mental health is really suffering having to spend long hours with little breaks where no one speaks to me and my tutors hardly give me any attention

i've applied for university again however my ucas includes the course im currently on and my reference is from my current course tutor, is it possible to drop out from my current course and still go to university this year? what proceedure should i take?

the course i'm doing right now is an art foundation degree (equivalent to a levels though) and i'm applying to uni for graphic design

There would be nothing stopping you applying for university. As you are applying after the January 15th deadline, universities are under no obligation to look at your application. Universities may, however, question whether they should take you on after you have dropped out of several courses previously. You would need a really good reference to explain your situation and why you are still a good candidate.

Realistically, degree level courses involve much more self-directed learning and less input from lecturers and tutors. You will need to work for long hours alone on projects. There is every chance that people will be very busy and may not have time to make an effort to speak to you. If this sort of work has such a negative impact on your mental health, you may want to look at other options, or consider taking some time out to look after yourself.
Given that you want to study Graphic Design an Art Foundation course may well strengthen your application.

You need to contact the universities you have applied to and ask whether they would consider you without the Art Foundation. If they say no you have two options - continue with the Art Foundation to get a place at one of your first choice unis or look for universities that will consider an application via Extra using only A levels, not the Art Foundation course.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending