The Student Room Group

Is a Journalism Degree worth it?

Hi there,
I'm considering of doing a Journalism degree. The A-Levels I'm doing are
English Lit, Philosophy and Media.
However, I'm considering of going straight into an apprenticeship but id love to study at a higher level and study! What are your opinion?

Thank you!
Original post by z_o_e
Hi there,
I'm considering of doing a Journalism degree. The A-Levels I'm doing are
English Lit, Philosophy and Media.
However, I'm considering of going straight into an apprenticeship but id love to study at a higher level and study! What are your opinion?

Thank you!

If you study an accredited journalism degree then you’ll be taught a whole range of practical journalism skills and knowledge that will help you find a job. The sorts of jobs available are often less glamorous than many applicants imagine though so researching into the realities of a journalism job is important.

If you can then try to get work experience in a local paper/radio station/tv studio and from that work for a gap year (either in journalism or in press/pr roles for large organisations) before deciding whether it’s for you.

A lot of people recommend taking a more academic degree followed by a postgraduate journalism qualification - that tends to be the route taken by the journalists in the public eye. However they tend to take that route because they are of an age when BA accredited courses were less common and they also tend to come from backgrounds where they already have influencial contacts in the business. It’s misleading to use the experience of successful, wealthy 40-60 year olds as a template for success if you are just starting out.
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 2
Hey,

How are you getting on now?
Did you study journalism?

Quick Reply

Latest