rdlewiss
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
Hey guys,
So I got offered the opportunity to go to an assessment centre for an apprenticeship. The only thing is it's 1 hour and half away from where I live and the actual office is so far away from the station and is very secluded. As well as this, I have major anxiety (major!) especially in relation to the presentation and group exercises. I dread public speaking and do whatever I can to avoid it. I'm a little introverted which I fear is going to defeat my chances in the group exercise.
My mum and dad have decided that they are going to drive me (as I can't drive yet) as it's far and they (and I) want to make sure everything goes smoothly in terms of actually getting there, is this babyish of me or should i take the train regardless of how complicated it will be?
Has anyone got tips on how to stop stressing and how to prepare, or has anyone ever had the same anxiety as me but found the assessment centre less intimidating than they thought?
999tigger
Badges: 19
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by rdlewiss)
Hey guys,
So I got offered the opportunity to go to an assessment centre for an apprenticeship. The only thing is it's 1 hour and half away from where I live and the actual office is so far away from the station and is very secluded. As well as this, I have major anxiety (major!) especially in relation to the presentation and group exercises. I dread public speaking and do whatever I can to avoid it. I'm a little introverted which I fear is going to defeat my chances in the group exercise.
My mum and dad have decided that they are going to drive me (as I can't drive yet) as it's far and they (and I) want to make sure everything goes smoothly in terms of actually getting there, is this babyish of me or should i take the train regardless of how complicated it will be?
Has anyone got tips on how to stop stressing and how to prepare, or has anyone ever had the same anxiety as me but found the assessment centre less intimidating than they thought?
Its good of your parents to take you.

Be prepared and practice if you can to remove nerves.

If you cant practice then watch youtive videos on assessment centres plus find out whats involved from the employer.

If you have to make a presentation then read to yourself or parents or the dog to get rid of nerves. If you are prepared you will find it much easier. Other people will be nervous as well.
jan20
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
hey! i suffer anxiety too as i just told you on the BT thread, so feel free to message me or rant, or anythinggg, to get rid of those nerves.

personally, what helps if bein over prepared.. know about the business, the products, the services, the rivals, so atleast you can throw in any figures if theres any hard questions.

also dont be afraid to say in an interview 'can i have a minute to think about that' , that will actucally show you care about you present yourself and wan to think a good answer rather than waffling sand saying 'urmmm' 'urmmm'

but just relax and try to have fun. rememeber everyone else is nervous too, and the asessors are human and have been in your positions years ago. whatever is meant to happen will happen, believe in yourself.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you get study leave?

Yes- I like it (521)
59.95%
Yes- I don't like it (44)
5.06%
No- I want it (245)
28.19%
No- I don't want it (59)
6.79%

Watched Threads