The revision tips I used at GCSE (11A* 1A) Watch

jazz_xox_
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
Edit: just realised my title doesn't make sense lol.. this is a bit of a comination of revision techniques and tips, please ignore that

Hi! I used to love seeing posts like this when I was doing my GCSEs (and still do, for a-levels), so I thought I would make a little post about my revision tips and how I got 11A* and 1A.
The subjects I did were: english literature, english language, maths, further maths, biology, chemistry, physics, religious studies shortcourse, religious studies, french, ICT and media studies.
The A I got was english literature.

My revision tips:

1. Finish all of your resources ASAP. I started my resources in October before my GCSEs and finished them around January/February. This included notes, mind maps, flashcards and posters. Of course, for any content you haven't finished in class, I would say it's fine to do the resources as you are going along! Having your resources done means you don't have to spend time making them, and you can continually be revising from them.

Making your own revision resources is so helpful, it can be tempting to use pre-made resources but personally I think that the process of writing out/typing notes helps me understand content. I have a post about how I type my flashcards on my instagram (studyingwithjas).

2. Do past papers! This is the biggest tip, especially for science and maths. The questions can become repetitive after you have done enough questions to spot a pattern, and by reading mark schemes you are learning what examiners are looking for.

3. Use the specification!! Again, for science this is so important as it tells you exactly what you need to learn, and what you can be tested on. Although it can be interesting to know extra information, this is wasting precious revision time and it's helpful to see the specification. Perhaps have this alongside you when making notes as you can see if you have missed anything.

4. Keep organised! There's no point making so many resources if you can't find what you are looking for, so I'd recommend having folders for different subjects so then you can find things quickly. Also, being unorganised can make you feel stressed so maintaining a clean work space with your work organised well is the best thing to do.
I have folders for each subject, and like to store them under my desk so the desk surface is clear. If this isn't possible for you, maybe just move things to the side whilst you are working as having papers piled up right in front of you is the worst!

5. To-do lists. Personally, I prefer having lists of tasks I need to complete more effective than having a revision timetable with set times. This way, I get things done efficiently and have the motivation to complete them - for example, if I have 5 tasks on my to-do list, I will want to complete them in good time, so then I have spare time (either to do extra revision, or just time to myself!)

I make my to-do list on a Sunday night with everything I need to do for the week. At the end of each day I tick off what I've done and plan what I need for the next day. I find this motivating to know what I have got to get done and it helps me work towards short-term goals.

I hope this helped some of you, please feel free to ask questions too!
I regularly post revision tips and updates of my university application on my instagram, studyingwithjas, so feel free to take a look there! Good luck to everyone sitting exams soon, and there is still plenty of time to make differences if you feel you aren't where you want to be just yet
decs
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Thank you for the advise and congrats for your grades!! Did you make notes for all of the science topic? I started making notes for science(biology and some of chemistry and physics) but I just feel like it was very time consuming so would you recommend me going ahead to finish all my science notes or to only make notes on the topics that I struggle with? What subjects did you make mindmaps/notes for at GCSE? I am doing my GCSEs this year just to let you know.
Toastiekid
  • Community Assistant
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
This so useful! Thank you x
Which a-levels are you doing? How are they?
jazz_xox_
Rep:
?
(Original post by Toastiekid)
This so useful! Thank you x
Which a-levels are you doing? How are they?
You are so welcome! I am currently doing Biology, Chemistry and Maths (with statistics)- I am finding them okay, they are a big challenge but I feel like I am managing. I am aiming for A*AA (applying to med school so need a minimum of 3A's). Chemistry is my most difficult subject as I struggle sometimes to differentiate between reactions and different topics, but hopefully with lots of practice I will keep improving. Best of luck to you
jazz_xox_
Rep:
?
(Original post by decs)
Thank you for the advise and congrats for your grades!! Did you make notes for all of the science topic? I started making notes for science(biology and some of chemistry and physics) but I just feel like it was very time consuming so would you recommend me going ahead to finish all my science notes or to only make notes on the topics that I struggle with? What subjects did you make mindmaps/notes for at GCSE? I am doing my GCSEs this year just to let you know.
You're so welcome! Personally I did, yes- but I don't feel it's always necessary. Maybe make bullet points for topics you understand and more detailed notes for other topics that are more tricky. I used the CGP revision guides for my notes which were to the right detail for my specification. Maybe type out your notes if you would be quicker this way- I didn't do this at GCSE but I often do now, I also find it somewhat easier to memorise from typed notes rather than written, although this may just be me.
I made mindmaps and notes for all sciences, english literature, media studies, RS and ICT- as I remember. For maths, english language and french I found past papers key. Good luck
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Birmingham
    Postgraduate Open Day Postgraduate
    Wed, 20 Mar '19
  • King's College London
    Postgraduate Taught Courses - Arts & Sciences - Strand Campus Postgraduate
    Wed, 20 Mar '19
  • University of East Anglia
    All Departments Open 13:00-17:00. Find out more about our diverse range of subject areas and career progression in the Arts & Humanities, Social Sciences, Medicine & Health Sciences, and the Sciences. Postgraduate
    Wed, 20 Mar '19

Where do you need more help?

Which Uni should I go to? (34)
14.23%
How successful will I become if I take my planned subjects? (21)
8.79%
How happy will I be if I take this career? (50)
20.92%
How do I achieve my dream Uni placement? (34)
14.23%
What should I study to achieve my dream career? (29)
12.13%
How can I be the best version of myself? (71)
29.71%

Watched Threads