The Student Room Group

King's Rejection - is this unfair?

I've just been rejected from King's because "exam resits are not accepted due to the competitive nature of my course" but I'm not resitting any exams!

I already have two A Levels and I'm currently sitting a third, but have done my three A Levels split over three years (rather than two) due to living in hospital for an extended period of time and being too unwell to attend college full time. I understand if I am not up to King's standards (they ask for A*AA, I have AA and I'm predicted A* but maybe other candidates have been predicted better), but I clearly stated my medical history in my personal statement and explained that this is why my A Levels have been spread out, so I feel like they didn't even read my personal statement, just saw that I had two A Levels and dismissed me. I don't know if I should appeal this - if this is the case, I'm not sure if this is the right uni for me.

Can anyone give me advice?!

Scroll to see replies

Sounds unfair but honestly they get so many applicants anyone who isn't 'normal' gets filtered out I bet, unless they're truly properly exceptional. Or East Asian lol cos they spend the monies and don't complain.
Reply 2
Original post by somemightsay888
Sounds unfair but honestly they get so many applicants anyone who isn't 'normal' gets filtered out I bet, unless they're truly properly exceptional. Or East Asian lol cos they spend the monies and don't complain.

That's what I was thinking - it's such a competitive uni. Oh well!
I got rejected for the exact same reason as you! My application is quite competitive and I'm guessing my lnat score was good too as I got offered a place at Bristol :hmmmm2:

Edit: I'm not resitting either, I had extenuating circumstances too which have been explained in my reference and personal statement but I guess they didn't care haha
(edited 6 years ago)
I got rejected for PPE too. Well first they tried switching my course to something I didn't want to do so I told them to cancel my application.
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 5
Original post by rnv
I got rejected for the exact same reason as you! My application is quite competitive and I'm guessing my lnat score was good too as I got offered a place at Bristol :hmmmm2:

Edit: I'm not resitting either, I had extenuating circumstances too which have been explained in my reference and personal statement but I guess they didn't care haha

Did you bother contacting them, or did you just forget it? I've got into Exeter, Warwick and Cardiff, and I'm waiting to hear back from SOAS. I'm not devastated as I'd been told that they aren't known for student satisfaction etc. but I feel like they should be giving a valid reason for rejection, rather than saying that it's because I'm resitting!
Reply 6
Original post by Hirsty97
I got rejected for PPE too. Well first they tried switching my course to something I didn't want to do so I told them to cancel my application.

Why would they try to switch you?! That's crazy - I've heard quite a few people saying that they've not been handled well by King's.
Original post by emmaskrey
Why would they try to switch you?! That's crazy - I've heard quite a few people saying that they've not been handled well by King's.

They wanted to switch me to philosophy, politics and religion based on my personal statement, but I wanted the economics so I just said I wasn't interested.

Their loss is another university's gain amirite?
Did you bother contacting them, or did you just forget it? I've got into Exeter, Warwick and Cardiff, and I'm waiting to hear back from SOAS. I'm not devastated as I'd been told that they aren't known for student satisfaction etc. but I feel like they should be giving a valid reason for rejection, rather than saying that it's because I'm resitting!

I thought about it but I only got rejected yesterday so I haven't got round to it, not sure if it would change anything?:frown: I'm not really devastated either, I'm kind of gutted I didn't apply UCL instead of Kings as they don't seem to have a policy regarding Resits (which I'm not doing anyway but it does say on King's website they want A Levels sat within a two year period). I also have an offer from Exeter, Warwick and got one from Bristol today, just waiting on Birmingham:smile: what's your firm choice?
Reply 9
They wanted to switch me to philosophy, politics and religion based on my personal statement, but I wanted the economics so I just said I wasn't interested.

Their loss is another university's gain amirite?

Exactly! Where are you off to now?
Reply 10
Original post by rnv
I thought about it but I only got rejected yesterday so I haven't got round to it, not sure if it would change anything?:frown: I'm not really devastated either, I'm kind of gutted I didn't apply UCL instead of Kings as they don't seem to have a policy regarding Resits (which I'm not doing anyway but it does say on King's website they want A Levels sat within a two year period). I also have an offer from Exeter, Warwick and got one from Bristol today, just waiting on Birmingham:smile: what's your firm choice?

Okay so I contacted my personal tutor regarding this, just to keep him updated, and he's given me some really good advice which would seemingly apply to you too, given that our situations are really similar!

He used to work at King's and has immediately got in touch with them arguing my case, saying that they're discriminating based on disability, that my circumstances are highly unusual and I shouldn't be treated as if I'm a resit student when I'm not, etc. etc., and they've given him someone to call and complain to. This doesn't mean I'll get in obviously, but he says that they shouldn't be allowed to treat students in our situation this way. I think what particularly outraged him is that they messaged me last week saying they'd examined my application and I needed to sit the LNAT, so I paid the £50 and sat it, only for them to say that they won't accept me due to 'resitting', which they were well aware of before asking me to sit the LNAT - he feels like they've messed me about, basically. Like I said, I'm not overly disappointed, as King's was always a long shot, but I do feel a bit like I have a genuine excuse for my circumstances, which they aren't acknowledging! I don't know... I'll keep you updated, because you should definitely complain if you feel like you've been treated unfairly!

I'm still waiting to hear from SOAS but I think that regardless of their response, my firm will be Exeter. What about you?
Okay so I contacted my personal tutor regarding this, just to keep him updated, and he's given me some really good advice which would seemingly apply to you too, given that our situations are really similar!

He used to work at King's and has immediately got in touch with them arguing my case, saying that they're discriminating based on disability, that my circumstances are highly unusual and I shouldn't be treated as if I'm a resit student when I'm not, etc. etc., and they've given him someone to call and complain to. This doesn't mean I'll get in obviously, but he says that they shouldn't be allowed to treat students in our situation this way. I think what particularly outraged him is that they messaged me last week saying they'd examined my application and I needed to sit the LNAT, so I paid the £50 and sat it, only for them to say that they won't accept me due to 'resitting', which they were well aware of before asking me to sit the LNAT - he feels like they've messed me about, basically. Like I said, I'm not overly disappointed, as King's was always a long shot, but I do feel a bit like I have a genuine excuse for my circumstances, which they aren't acknowledging! I don't know... I'll keep you updated, because you should definitely complain if you feel like you've been treated unfairly!

I'm still waiting to hear from SOAS but I think that regardless of their response, my firm will be Exeter. What about you?

The reason they give might be different to the actual reason they rejected you. That is, it is easier for them to say that you do not meet their no-resit rule rather than to go into a lengthy explanation of why your borderline grades were not sufficiently impressive, in light of your LNAT performance and mitigation circumstances.

It is not necessarily the case that they strung you along, as it were.

Do keep me updated! Seems very unfair

Kings isn't somewhere that I particularly wanted to go, I just needed another uni I can use LNAT for as I couldn't justify paying 50£ just for Bristol as I didn't think I performed well enough. Bristol is my firm but Exeter is my insurance! Will attend both offer holder days as I can't make a decision just yet:smile:
Reply 13
Original post by Notorious_B.I.G.
The reason they give might be different to the actual reason they rejected you. That is, it is easier for them to say that you do not meet their no-resit rule rather than to go into a lengthy explanation of why your borderline grades were not sufficiently impressive, in light of your LNAT performance and mitigation circumstances.

It is not necessarily the case that they strung you along, as it were.

Oh no, I completely understand that, I just want to make sure that this is the case - if they've misunderstood and assume I'm resitting, I don't want to miss out by not informing them of the true circumstances. If I've done poorly in my LNAT and/or my grades aren't good enough, I'm okay with that, it's how the system works.
Reply 14
Original post by rnv
Do keep me updated! Seems very unfair

Kings isn't somewhere that I particularly wanted to go, I just needed another uni I can use LNAT for as I couldn't justify paying 50£ just for Bristol as I didn't think I performed well enough. Bristol is my firm but Exeter is my insurance! Will attend both offer holder days as I can't make a decision just yet:smile:

Ah, maybe I'll see you at the offer holder day!
Exactly! Where are you off to now?

Either Exeter, Bristol, Manchester. Exeter is the one I want to go to most because of the location, hbu?
Either Exeter, Bristol, Manchester. Exeter is the one I want to go to most because of the location, hbu?

Location? Exeter and Bristol are about an hour apart, and the train from Bristol-London takes slightly less time than the Exeter-London one. Bristol is also further north, so takes less time in that regard too.
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by Notorious_B.I.G.
Location? Exeter and Bristol are about an hour apart, and the train from Bristol-London takes slightly less time than the Exeter-London one. Bristol is also further north, so takes less time in that regard too.

The course in Bristol isn't for PPE though, so it's a choice between Exeter and Manchester
Reply 18
The course in Bristol isn't for PPE though, so it's a choice between Exeter and Manchester

I'm leaning towards Exeter, for their Law course - what course are you going for? It would be nice to know a face before arriving!
Reply 19
Original post by 123Mary_xo
hey, I got rejected too and I'm disappointed because I really wanted to go to kings. Anyways, the reason for their decision was because my predicted grades weren't good enough for them but I phoned them up and asked if my teacher could email them with new predicted grades and they said yes. However, that would be a waste of my time because they are not looking for students that come from a struggling background or struggling in any kind of way. Therefore, if you fit into that category forget it. Good news is that I got into Kent and I'm just waiting on SOAS too.

The thing is, I don't struggle academically - I have two high A grades and I'm predicted an A* for my third subject, which meets their entry requirements. The issue for me is a disability, which resulted in a hospital admission, thus having to spread my A Levels over 3 years, rather than 2. I completely understand if they have had more desirable applicants, but I don't want to be rejected purely because I have a disability which has resulted in my education being (against my will) disrupted. I guess I just want to be told that I simply wasn't god enough, rather than have them tell me that I'm resitting, when I'm clearly not - that way, there's nothing to dispute.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending