help with english lit analysis pls

Watch this thread
ellieloujonesx
Badges: 8
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
can someone deeply and really sophistically analyse the quote "a plague o'both your houses" in romeo and Juliet said by Mercurio

(or just give some high level points pls)
Lit teacher
Badges: 14
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 4 years ago
It's quite straightforward. At the time the play was written, the plague was a very real threat. The theatre was closed at one point to prevent it spreading. 'A plague on you' was a curse, similar to 'I hope you die'.
In his dying breath, Mercutio is cursing the two families and blaming them for his death. 'They have made worms meat of me'. It can be seen as foreshadowing; there is an established trope in drama that when a character says something like this it will come true.

For a higher level analysis, consider:
Is Mercutio being honest or fair in blaming the two families for his fatal wound? After all, he chose to challenge Tybalt when Romeo was trying to make peace.

At what point does the tone of Mercutio's speech change? At first he seems to be joking, 'a grave man' and making light of his 'scratch'. When does he stop being funny?

Mercutio is blaming the families rather than any one individual. Is this the moral lesson we can learn from the play? It seems to be supported by the final speech from Prince Escalus. Notice how he doesn't blame Tybalt, and while he points out that Romeo is partly to blame 'I was hurt under your arm' the anger is towards the whole family. Maybe Mercutio is the fool who understands more than anyone else.

The idea of a curse, and fate controlling events, comes from a tradition of Greek tragedy. A character will offend nature or the gods and from that moment they are doomed. Is Mercutio's curse the turning point, after which nothing ever goes right for Romeo or Juliet?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Y13's - If you haven't confirmed your firm and insurance choices yet, why is that?

I am waiting until the deadline in case anything in my life changes (19)
21.11%
I am waiting until the deadline in case something else changes (e.g. exams/pandemic related concerns) (11)
12.22%
I am waiting until I can see the unis in person (5)
5.56%
I still have more questions before I make my decision (15)
16.67%
No reason, just haven't entered it yet (21)
23.33%
Something else (let us know in the thread!) (19)
21.11%

Watched Threads