The Student Room Group

1984 and The Handmaid’s Tale - Versatile Quotes! (OCR A-Level Literature!)

Is anyone else struggling to pick out really versatile quotes to memorise for their texts? I genuinely can’t remember how I did it at GCSE and it’s driving me mad!

My course is OCR A-Level Literature (H472) and my texts for this particular section (Dystopia) are ‘1984’ and ‘The Handmaid’s Tale’.

I feel like the questions can be so broad that my quotes often aren’t good enough! If you have any advice on picking them, or if you do the same texts and would like to share, I’d be very open to it!
Reply 1
Original post by Obviously.Rachel
Is anyone else struggling to pick out really versatile quotes to memorise for their texts? I genuinely can’t remember how I did it at GCSE and it’s driving me mad!

My course is OCR A-Level Literature (H472) and my texts for this particular section (Dystopia) are ‘1984’ and ‘The Handmaid’s Tale’.

I feel like the questions can be so broad that my quotes often aren’t good enough! If you have any advice on picking them, or if you do the same texts and would like to share, I’d be very open to it!

Hiya! I'm doing the same exam board as you and I don't think you need to memorise quotes. 1984 and The Handmaid's Tale is only relevant to the essay question and I checked and we are only being assessed on AO1, AO3, AO4 and AO5 since it is a comparative essay. AO2 doesn't come to play so while you could include quotes in your essay, it's not necessary and you won't be marked up or down if you do! Hope that helps:smile:
Original post by yolgurt
Hiya! I'm doing the same exam board as you and I don't think you need to memorise quotes. 1984 and The Handmaid's Tale is only relevant to the essay question and I checked and we are only being assessed on AO1, AO3, AO4 and AO5 since it is a comparative essay. AO2 doesn't come to play so while you could include quotes in your essay, it's not necessary and you won't be marked up or down if you do! Hope that helps:smile:

That's not right as far as I know. AO2 is simply language/structure analysis. You still need quotes for your points; you just don't need to break down or explain quotes. You use quotes to show that you have read the texts and understand it- AO1.
can u jus expand on wht AO1,A03.A04,A05 IS PLZZ.

Quick Reply

Latest