1984 and The Handmaid’s Tale - Versatile Quotes! (OCR A-Level Literature!) Watch

Obviously.Rachel
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
Is anyone else struggling to pick out really versatile quotes to memorise for their texts? I genuinely can’t remember how I did it at GCSE and it’s driving me mad!

My course is OCR A-Level Literature (H472) and my texts for this particular section (Dystopia) are ‘1984’ and ‘The Handmaid’s Tale’.

I feel like the questions can be so broad that my quotes often aren’t good enough! If you have any advice on picking them, or if you do the same texts and would like to share, I’d be very open to it!
yolgurt
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Obviously.Rachel)
Is anyone else struggling to pick out really versatile quotes to memorise for their texts? I genuinely can’t remember how I did it at GCSE and it’s driving me mad!

My course is OCR A-Level Literature (H472) and my texts for this particular section (Dystopia) are ‘1984’ and ‘The Handmaid’s Tale’.

I feel like the questions can be so broad that my quotes often aren’t good enough! If you have any advice on picking them, or if you do the same texts and would like to share, I’d be very open to it!
Hiya! I'm doing the same exam board as you and I don't think you need to memorise quotes. 1984 and The Handmaid's Tale is only relevant to the essay question and I checked and we are only being assessed on AO1, AO3, AO4 and AO5 since it is a comparative essay. AO2 doesn't come to play so while you could include quotes in your essay, it's not necessary and you won't be marked up or down if you do! Hope that helps
Kilam_Namoan
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by yolgurt)
Hiya! I'm doing the same exam board as you and I don't think you need to memorise quotes. 1984 and The Handmaid's Tale is only relevant to the essay question and I checked and we are only being assessed on AO1, AO3, AO4 and AO5 since it is a comparative essay. AO2 doesn't come to play so while you could include quotes in your essay, it's not necessary and you won't be marked up or down if you do! Hope that helps
That's not right as far as I know. AO2 is simply language/structure analysis. You still need quotes for your points; you just don't need to break down or explain quotes. You use quotes to show that you have read the texts and understand it- AO1.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Bournemouth University
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 19 Feb '20
  • Buckinghamshire New University
    Postgraduate and professional courses Postgraduate
    Wed, 19 Feb '20
  • University of Warwick
    Warwick Business School Postgraduate
    Thu, 20 Feb '20

Have you ever accessed mental health support services at University?

Yes (43)
24.29%
No, but I have thought about it (48)
27.12%
No (86)
48.59%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed