The Student Room Group

In Too High A Set for Maths GCSE

I've always been seen as academically capable, and have therefore been in the Top Sets for all of my Classes, despite the fact that I've always struggled a little with Maths and Science (my skills are in the English and Humanities department, which have always came to me easily.) While I'm definitely capable at doing the material in these subjects, I've always been a bit slower than the others in my Maths Set One, and due to a number of Personal Reasons, ended up being moved down into Set Two for Year 9 and 10, during which I regularly got good results, meaning I was moved up to Set One. Now, however, I'm totally out of my depth.

It's not that it's the work I'm struggling with - with Maths, I've always found that it takes me longer to grasp it than other people but, once I do, I can do it well - but the way it's taught. Because I'm one of the few who changed Sets in Year 11, our Set One Maths teacher assumes we already know all the content, and therefore doesn't really teach us it - she just hands out revision papers every lesson and expects us to get on with it. Because I've not been taught a lot of the content, I simply can't do the questions - and because everyone else knows the content, she's not going to teach it.

The simple, mature solution is just to go to the teacher and tell her that I'm really struggling, but because I've been able to do very little of the work she's branded me as a trouble maker and thinks I'm just being idle. This makes it very hard for me to ask for help, and even if I did ask her for help I doubt it would be sufficient.

I've considered going to my Year Leader and asking to be moved down Set, but I've not done that for two reasons:
a: the work in Set Two would be way too easy for me, and I'd not be able to get the 7/8 I really really want in GCSE Maths.
b: It would be very humiliating for me.

I really don't know what to do. One of the reasons I moved down Sets in Year 9 and 10 was because of my bad mental health, and I'm terrified by the approach of my exams and the current Maths situation. If anyone could offer advice on what I should do, I'd be incredibly grateful; I do try and revise, but the point of revision is to go over things you already know, not to try and teach yourself things a teacher assumes you know already.
Original post by Michael Allan
I've always been seen as academically capable, and have therefore been in the Top Sets for all of my Classes, despite the fact that I've always struggled a little with Maths and Science (my skills are in the English and Humanities department, which have always came to me easily.) While I'm definitely capable at doing the material in these subjects, I've always been a bit slower than the others in my Maths Set One, and due to a number of Personal Reasons, ended up being moved down into Set Two for Year 9 and 10, during which I regularly got good results, meaning I was moved up to Set One. Now, however, I'm totally out of my depth.

It's not that it's the work I'm struggling with - with Maths, I've always found that it takes me longer to grasp it than other people but, once I do, I can do it well - but the way it's taught. Because I'm one of the few who changed Sets in Year 11, our Set One Maths teacher assumes we already know all the content, and therefore doesn't really teach us it - she just hands out revision papers every lesson and expects us to get on with it. Because I've not been taught a lot of the content, I simply can't do the questions - and because everyone else knows the content, she's not going to teach it.

The simple, mature solution is just to go to the teacher and tell her that I'm really struggling, but because I've been able to do very little of the work she's branded me as a trouble maker and thinks I'm just being idle. This makes it very hard for me to ask for help, and even if I did ask her for help I doubt it would be sufficient.

I've considered going to my Year Leader and asking to be moved down Set, but I've not done that for two reasons:
a: the work in Set Two would be way too easy for me, and I'd not be able to get the 7/8 I really really want in GCSE Maths.
b: It would be very humiliating for me.

I really don't know what to do. One of the reasons I moved down Sets in Year 9 and 10 was because of my bad mental health, and I'm terrified by the approach of my exams and the current Maths situation. If anyone could offer advice on what I should do, I'd be incredibly grateful; I do try and revise, but the point of revision is to go over things you already know, not to try and teach yourself things a teacher assumes you know already.

im in year 11 and targeting a grade 9. id be willing to help you with the maths
Honestly, any help would be amazing, although I'd really not be sure where to start. Usually when I ask people to help they're very considerate, but when I explain that I understand basically nothing they realise I'm a lost cause XD
Honestly, any help would be amazing, although I'd really not be sure where to start. Usually when I ask people to help they're very considerate, but when I explain that I understand basically nothing they realise I'm a lost cause XD

Have you thought about asking other maths teachers for help, or emailing your teacher on friday and explaining the situation. That way you won't have to talk to him/her until Monday. :P
I'm happy to help explain anything and bitesize and khan academy are also good.

even if you knew nothing, you being in top set tells me you would be able to learn. if you tell me in 1 message everything you struggle with, ill give you lessons on those things (do you have twitter or any form of social media where messaging is quicker than on this?)
ehh i never really liked the set system. what grade u get really depends on the effort u put in. in my school we had 10 sets. set 10 = worst. set 1 = best. i was in set 9. everyone else in my set got D/E/Fs i got an A
Reply 6
You should use online learning resources and revision guides honestly you'll learn a lot I'm aiming for a grade 8 in maths and I am very close to achieving it. A lot of the work I did was on my own. Almost every subject but mainly maths due to the fact that my class has constantly had supply teachers for the past two years and therefore have missed out on a lot of work. But, I swear to you there are many excellent YouTube videos, websites and worksheets which will all help you incredibly! Also use past papers to examine yourself afterwards they help to see where you are and how well you are doing.There are many more you can also simply type
Reply 7
There are a few options you could follow to understand the material:
Ask another maths teacher for help during one lunch break every week, they will likely be able (and be willing) to help. Compile a list of topics to go over first- eg Completing the square, quadratic equations etc. In my opinion this is the best option.
Perhaps if it is within your means hire a maths tutor? You can even find maths tutors online these days for a fraction of the price
Speak frankly with your year head, or the head of maths in your school if you have one- just to get their opinion on the situation, not to put anything permanent in place. Ask for their view on the situation
Or, swallow your discomfort and simply explain the situation to your maths teacher. Don't sacrifice something long term (your grade!) for something short term (your teacher disliking you).
Reply 8
What ever the teaching style, the teacher is there to teach you. If you don't understand something ask them to explain it. I bet there will others in the class too scared to ask. Learning is a two way thing, if you don't ask the teacher will presume that you're ok with it. I much prefer the red, amber, green cup system,where you can indicate your understanding by the colour of the cup and thus everyone gets the proper attention.

Quick Reply

Latest