emmawalker66
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
Thinking about potentially taking Philosophy at uni (despite never having studied it before - you can't take it as an A Level at my school) just because I'm v v interested in it. Does anyone have any suggestions for books to read for someone in my position? Thank you!
kpa126
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by emmawalker66)
Thinking about potentially taking Philosophy at uni (despite never having studied it before - you can't take it as an A Level at my school) just because I'm v v interested in it. Does anyone have any suggestions for books to read for someone in my position? Thank you!
Hi! I am currently studying religious studies (..so part philosophy) as an A Level and absolutely love it! I have applied to do philosophy as a degree too for this year, and can assure you you will not need to worry about missing out on A-Level knowledge! - a lot of it is of no relevance / will not 'help' you in the degree. Within philosophy I think it would be good to just get a general vibe of what Philosophy really entails and where it originated. There are some great videos on philosophy and the main questions in it on Youtube - CrashCourse. They have a whole section of videos on philosophy which should give you a good background to it

In terms of books, some can be quite long, but I would look up some passages from Plato's republic or even some political philosophy like ideas from John Stewart Mill. Famous philosophers that tend to be covered in syllabi range from Kant, Marx, Mill and Hume. Just do some broad reading online or through forums where people debate philosophical problems, I wouldn't worry about reading any long winded books unless you are prepared to do so.

Hope you get some new ideas from this!
Katherine
emmawalker66
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
(Original post by kpa126)
Hi! I am currently studying religious studies (..so part philosophy) as an A Level and absolutely love it! I have applied to do philosophy as a degree too for this year, and can assure you you will not need to worry about missing out on A-Level knowledge! - a lot of it is of no relevance / will not 'help' you in the degree. Within philosophy I think it would be good to just get a general vibe of what Philosophy really entails and where it originated. There are some great videos on philosophy and the main questions in it on Youtube - CrashCourse. They have a whole section of videos on philosophy which should give you a good background to it

In terms of books, some can be quite long, but I would look up some passages from Plato's republic or even some political philosophy like ideas from John Stewart Mill. Famous philosophers that tend to be covered in syllabi range from Kant, Marx, Mill and Hume. Just do some broad reading online or through forums where people debate philosophical problems, I wouldn't worry about reading any long winded books unless you are prepared to do so.

Hope you get some new ideas from this!
Katherine
Thank you!
Ellie_sb1
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Think by Simon Blackburn offers a good foundation of knowledge! Philosophy is my passion.....
inmillity
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Sophie's World by Jostein Gaarder is a fascinating book that is both a novel and a mostly complete history of philosophy (although it skips the oriental philosophers but I've never studied them). It's a great book and easy to read while you absorb lots of info. I bought my copy on Amazon and I very much like the cover art too 😂
riodhnaduncan
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Heya! I am studying RS at A-Level currently, and a good way to start is look at some of the main theories such as Teleological, Problem of Evil, Utilitarianism etc and books that look at them! It’s a great subject, i’m looking to do it at uni too!
gjd800
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Pick up the classics and read as much as you feel like. Honestly though, we don't expect you to come to us as an undergrad with any knowledge so it won't be a problem if you have none.

What I will say will help you out though is trying to get hold of a journal article or two and start looking at how they are written and structured early on. It is the writing about philosophy that most first years struggle with, and getting to grips without journal articles can really help give you a basis for how your own writing should look/what forumale to follow.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What factors affect your mental health the most right now?

Anxiousness about lockdown easing (119)
4.9%
Uncertainty around my education (360)
14.81%
Uncertainty around my future career prospects (265)
10.9%
Lack of purpose or motivation (342)
14.07%
Lack of support system (eg. teachers, counsellors, delays in care) (112)
4.61%
Impact of lockdown on physical health (145)
5.96%
Loneliness (210)
8.64%
Financial worries (91)
3.74%
Concern about myself or my loves ones getting/having been ill (103)
4.24%
Exposure to negative news/social media (117)
4.81%
Lack of real life entertainment (128)
5.27%
Lack of confidence in making big life decisions (210)
8.64%
Worry about missed opportunities during the pandemic (229)
9.42%

Watched Threads