I have no idea whether to choose French or Spanish for GCSE...

Watch
Astrology
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
So I think I mentioned this in my last thread, but I am very stuck, tbh, I don’t like any of them. Ppl have told me to do the one I’m most motivated to learn, or I find the easiest etc, but I feel like I find them both the same. Are the French and Spanish papers at GCSE roughly the same? I started French in year 3 ( when I was 8 I think) I I started Spanish two years ago. Are the workloads the same?
Also, is there more vocab or tenses to learn for French or Spanish?
username2571271
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
As someone who took both at GCSE, the workload is completely the same
Just pick the one that interests u the most, r u interested in travelling to France, Canada, Belgium etc. (French) or Spain, South America etc. (Spanish)
Hope this helps :thumbsup:
jdddd
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Personally, Spanish would be the better out the two as more people speak Spanish, so more opportunities and easier when travelling etc.
evesibby
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
They are the same format. I took both and the workload was fine. I had been doing french for a while then started doing spanish. I got a C in french and a D in spanish but only because I was bad at balancing all my subjects. Do both! Its enjoyable and looks good that you attempted two languages even if you fail one
cha01t
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
I took French at GCSE but a lot of my friends who took both said they preferred Spanish. Overall they’re probably quite similar in terms of difficulty at GCSE, but I feel like Spanish is slightly easier for English speakers.
TryHardNoob
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
French is slightly easier
Aiswarya Binoy
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
I took both and I can assure you French is easier. As you get to GCSE's, in Spanish there are too many verb tenses and endings whereas in French it's more similar to English.
deltagolf
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Both languages were classified by FBI in the first group of easiest languages for English speakers to learn.
DrSocSciences
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
French grammar is more complex, and has more exceptions. Personally, I found Spanish much easier, particularly due to the phoneticism of the written language. Consider whether your priority is the exam grade or the subsequent application of your knowledge of whichever language you choose, to your own life.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Which of these would you use to help with making uni decisions?

Webinars (82)
12.06%
Virtual campus tours/open days (165)
24.26%
Live streaming events (55)
8.09%
Online AMAs/guest lectures (62)
9.12%
A uni comparison tool (156)
22.94%
An in-person event when available (160)
23.53%