Starting to read around Economics

Watch
JessNg
Badges: 11
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
Hi everyone,

I was wondering if any economics students / candidates have any recommendations on what books I should read prior to applying for Oxford?

The aim of my reading is to deepen my knowledge and theory, as well as being able to showcase my interest in the subject.

Thanks a lot!
Jess x
Hirsty97
Badges: 21
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 4 years ago
Adam Smith's Wealth of Nations

Hard read but once you've read that everything else will seem easy in comparison.
JessNg
Badges: 11
Rep:
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
(Original post by Hirsty97)
Adam Smith's Wealth of Nations

Hard read but once you've read that everything else will seem easy in comparison.

Cheers Hirsty for the straight foward reply!
CrazyTeaParties
Badges: 10
Rep:
Report 4 years ago
Not an Econ person but as an Oxbridge applicant, would recommend looking on the course websites, getting the recommended reading list (I definitely remember history having one for Cambridge, which is where I applied) and choosing some books off there! Sorry I can't be more specific but that will give you a good few books to look at 😊
memesherrif101
Badges: 7
Rep:
Report 4 years ago
I enjoyed reading Basic Economics by Thomas Sowell which is a pretty good introduction to classical liberal econ. However, I'd suggest try to read widely and not just stick to one type of econ. 'Nudge' is a pretty good, fun intro to behavioral. I'd recommend podcasts alongside books, Slate Money is great as well as NPR's Planet Money.
Radicalist
Badges: 6
Rep:
Report 4 years ago
I would caution against reading works such as Wealth of Nations or Das Kapital or The General Theory etc as a starter - these are, as Hirsty pointed out, hard reads and may lead to your foundations being slightly shakier due to the fact the information is less digestable.

There are a ton of general books out there by respected economists that offer a great introduction - The User's Guide by Ha Joon Chang and Talking to my Daughter about the Economy by Varoufakis are both much easier reads to start you off. A slightly harder read that still offers a valuable overview into the development of economics is The Worldly Philosophers by Heilbroner.

Critical works like the ones initially listed are of course worth reading and are written by some of the finest minds ever to have lived but are much harder to tackle as an introduction to economics in my view.
Cowtheduck
Badges: 10
Rep:
Report 4 years ago
For the interview you're not expected to know much, if any, theory - much of it is a test of ability and competence, and involves more maths and logic-based problem-solving than theory knowledge.

For general interest, I recommend the Freakonomics series for an introduction to various applications of economics and Why Nations Fail for a general look into developmental economics. I found the latter a very good read in general, and it introduces a lot of geopolitical concepts as well.
honestly
Badges: 20
Rep:
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by memesherrif101)
I enjoyed reading Basic Economics by Thomas Sowell which is a pretty good introduction to classical liberal econ. However, I'd suggest try to read widely and not just stick to one type of econ. 'Nudge' is a pretty good, fun intro to behavioral. I'd recommend podcasts alongside books, Slate Money is great as well as NPR's Planet Money.
Sowell; a titanic lion amongst ecnomists....
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

When did you submit your Ucas application if you applied to go to university this year?

September 2021 (38)
6.51%
October 2021 (261)
44.69%
November 2021 (70)
11.99%
December 2021 (74)
12.67%
January 2021 (75)
12.84%
I still haven't submitted it yet! (47)
8.05%