The Student Room Group

What do I do 😪

Was in 6th form today and got told to take my engagement ring off to which I refused , the school then got the head of the 6th form involved so I had to take it off and they said they are keeping it until further notice 😩😡 is this right and what should I do ? X
you're in 6th form and already engaged?
Reply 2
Haven’t come across a situation like this so im not sure
youre engaged at 16/17? wtf i can't even get a text back smh
You are engaged with someone in the sixth form? How did the teachers know?
it doesn't make sense that they'd take it from you. I mean it's a ring so it shouldn't have anything to do with them. it's not like you were on your phone. have you told your parents/guardian? I personally don't think they should have taken it.
Nnwelke verhalen waaren dat ,dame paramaribo 🤔
Reply 7
What’s the school’s policy on jewellery? If no jewellery is allowed it makes sense I guess, just don’t wear it to school anymore.
Reply 8
Engaged at sixth form? Was it a haribo ring?
Original post by UWS
Engaged at sixth form? Was it a haribo ring?

Ironically, your profile picture sums up my reaction.
You're engaged and I haven't even had my first boyfriend or my first kiss yet...
How do u get engaged at 17 years of age?

I'm 17 and I cant iron a shirt properly..
Original post by VickieLlandovery
Was in 6th form today and got told to take my engagement ring off to which I refused , the school then got the head of the 6th form involved so I had to take it off and they said they are keeping it until further notice 😩😡 is this right and what should I do ? X
Take a parent with you to get it back. If they refuse to return it to you, write to the police - whatever their policy on dresscode is, saying "until further notice" is saying "we don't want to give it back to you", and is theft. Make sure you have a description of the ring and know exactly who it was who took it.

When you have it back, make it perfectly clear that you aren't taking it off again.

Original post by Baza2002
you're in 6th form and already engaged?
I've known people marry at that age.

Original post by cat_mac
What’s the school’s policy on jewellery? If no jewellery is allowed it makes sense I guess, just don’t wear it to school anymore.
Would it necessarily hold for something which isn't being worn purely cosmetically, though? It's not like someone's going in wearing them just for fun.

So I'm not a girl, but if I was at school/college and engaged and they wanted my ring, I'm afraid I'd just quietly ignore them - in the full knowledge that my wearing a ring isn't disrupting people's educations, but their continued fussing is, and also that, were my parents brought in, they would have been in full support of me.
Original post by o.rowntree
How do u get engaged at 17 years of age?

I'm 17 and I cant iron a shirt properly..

cant even button me shirt haha
Original post by VickieLlandovery

They are allowed to take things like jewelry, but only for so long. Look up the rules on how long and ask for it back if it reaches that time (bring a printout of the rules).
You could also ask for a exception to their jewellery rule since it is an engagement ring.
If you are at college you still have to follow their rules. If you aren't allowed to wear jewellery, you won't be allowed to wear your engagement ring around college. You have to follow the same rules as the rest of the students. I would apologise and request it back, under the promise you won't wear it in classes anymore. There is nothing to stop you wearing it outside of college though.

When did you get engaged?
We don’t have a uniform at our sixth form so I don’t know, I think it’s a bit extreme to confiscate the ring though even if your sixth form has rules against jewellery

Quick Reply

Latest