Is it too late to star musical theatre singing lessons? Watch

theojt01
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
I'm 16 and will be 17 in May, and am currently in sixth form, in the past two years, I started to really get into musical theatre and after doing my school production and joining a theatre company, I have found myself really loving it.

Many of my other theatre friends are currently doing their musical theatre grades in my school, most of them on grade 6 working towards their diploma. However, since I have never done any grades before, I'd be afraid of having to start from the beggining and not getting very far with it for when I leave school and go to uni or theatre school in 2019.
Beth_H
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
'Starting from the beginning' with singing isn't quite the same as starting from the beginning with a new instrument, since you already know physically how to produce a singing tone, and how to vary the pitch of your voice, which means that once you get the hang of the techniques your teacher shows you, you can start to progress quite quickly. Of course, you probably won't get to the samw level as your friends by the time you leave sixth form, but you can definitely make a meaningful improvement to your technique, and sound noticeably better when you sing. If you're singing regularly with your theatre company, I would definitely recommend having at least a few lessons to make sure that you're not singing with an incorrect technique which risks damaging your vocal cords.
theojt01
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
Thank you so much for the reply! I'm definately going to consider it now.
Beth_H
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by theojt01)
Thank you so much for the reply! I'm definately going to consider it now.
That's great! Have fun.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

People at uni: do initiations (like heavy drinking) put you off joining sports societies?

Yes (534)
66.42%
No (270)
33.58%

Watched Threads