PODHEC1
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
Hi so I'm studying for an exam and I am going over how adrenaline prepares the body for a fight or flight response. I understand one of the target organs is the blood vessels but my textbook says there are two different effects vasoconstriction and vasodilation. Anyone care to explain how it works and how this help in stressful situations? Thanks, I am gcse btw
username2396569
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by HN786)
Hi so I'm studying for an exam and I am going over how adrenaline prepares the body for a fight or flight response. I understand one of the target organs is the blood vessels but my textbook says there are two different effects vasoconstriction and vasodilation. Anyone care to explain how it works and how this help in stressful situations? Thanks, I am gcse btw
Hey, so adrenaline's actions depends on the receptor it binds to. Adrenaline binds to receptors called adrenoceptors, and there are 4 main types of these alpha-1, alpha-2, beta-1 and beta-2. During the fight and flight (aka the sympathetic) response, you want to increase blood flow to the muscles and decrease blood flow to the organs that you don't need when running away from a bear or whatever (for example, unless you're going to **** yourself, you don't need to use your bowels in fight and flight). So, adrenaline binds to these receptors and causes the desired effects. In particular, binding to alpha-1 receptors on blood vessels causes vasoconstriction and thus decreased blood flow to the organs that you don't need, but binding to beta-2 receptors causes vasodilation of the vessels to the muscles, therefore supplying them with enough blood to keep them from fatiguing.

You don't really need to know a lot of that at GCSE, the key thing to remember is that adrenaline binds to different receptors, and depending on the receptor it has different actions
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How would you feel if uni students needed to be double vaccinated to start in Autumn?

I'd feel reassured about my own health (45)
15.05%
I'd feel reassured my learning may be less disrupted by isolations/lockdowns (96)
32.11%
I'd feel less anxious about being around large groups (38)
12.71%
I don't mind if others are vaccinated or not (26)
8.7%
I'm concerned it may disadvantage some students (17)
5.69%
I think it's an unfair expectation (74)
24.75%
Something else (tell us in the thread) (3)
1%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed