I feel really depressed because I hate my job Watch

AngelsandFairies
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
Hi guys

Sorry about this rant but it's been 3 months since I've started my new job and I feel so depressed and it's really affecting my personal life.
I have been trying too hard and my absolute best to make my manager happy to help with the business.

I have tried to explain the situation, but unfortunately he does not care about it and just wants me to get on with it as normal. But obviously I cannot.

Yesterday, I have been approached by 2 Directors of 2 different companies and they are really interested in my CV that I have stored on online job boards.
As mentioned, I am seriously thinking of leaving my current job as it is making a negative impact on me psychologically and I can't take it anymore.

Any advice on what I should do as I feel like I'm being trapped in my current role?
alleycat393
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by AngelsandFairies)
Hi guys

Sorry about this rant but it's been 3 months since I've started my new job and I feel so depressed and it's really affecting my personal life.
I have been trying too hard and my absolute best to make my manager happy to help with the business.

I have tried to explain the situation, but unfortunately he does not care about it and just wants me to get on with it as normal. But obviously I cannot.

Yesterday, I have been approached by 2 Directors of 2 different companies and they are really interested in my CV that I have stored on online job boards.
As mentioned, I am seriously thinking of leaving my current job as it is making a negative impact on me psychologically and I can't take it anymore.

Any advice on what I should do as I feel like I'm being trapped in my current role?
If you're feeling trapped and unhappy and have other options move on. What is holding you back?
SnowBelle
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Remember you don’t owe anything to your manager or that company, especially if they are not willing to take account of your mental health. That’s just unprofessional on their part. Definitely consider the other options, you have nothing to lose and potentially a lot to gain.
AngelsandFairies
Rep:
?
(Original post by alleycat393)
If you're feeling trapped and unhappy and have other options move on. What is holding you back?
(Original post by SnowBelle)
Remember you don’t owe anything to your manager or that company, especially if they are not willing to take account of your mental health. That’s just unprofessional on their part. Definitely consider the other options, you have nothing to lose and potentially a lot to gain.
Well there is something to lose which is the job itself as I won't be having any income if I do leave...unless I get offered a job first. I have made speculative applications and surprisingly I have 2 interviews; one for tomorrow and Friday after work. I'm just hoping there will be a positive outcome for both - if not just one job! Second problem though...what reason do I tell them why I'm leaving - will they take into account my mental health? Also will they think I won't be able to cope wth the work regardless whether it will be boring or not? :confused: I don't want to talk negatively about my manager - he isn't all that bad I guess..
AngelsandFairies
Rep:
?
(Original post by J-SP)
If you are not happy, you look for other work, secure a job elsewhere and move. It’s really that straight forward
I am doing so right at this moment but am worried I won't get any offers because of my current situation!
rinofthemill
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
you've been approached by other places, so it's not like leaving is going to put you in financial jeopardy. your current situation is similar to so many other peoples - you are looking for better work because your current job doesn't suit you at all! as for your reason for leaving, you could just say you've had a better offer?
AngelsandFairies
Rep:
?
(Original post by J-SP)
You won’t know unless you try. If you are being approached by other companies, this suggests there must be something of interest to employers. That’s a major step you have ahead of most applicants.
I did attend an interview last Friday (someone called me to say they were hiring), however I didn't have sales experience - so no job offer there.

But the thing is why did they bother to waste my time as well as theirs when they knew that in the first place?!

However it was still a positive experience because the hiring manager said I was still a strong candidate and gave me helpful feedback to say that I should search for roles that would suit my skills and experience, which is a good thing I suppose.
AngelsandFairies
Rep:
?
(Original post by J-SP)
Sometimes employers look beyond their immediate requirements, especially if they see other strengths in applicants who do not meet the typical criteria.

Take it all as a positive. You will learn from the interview process too. The difficulty with job searching is having some resilience and perseverance - try not to take every unsuccessful attempt too personally.
Thank you for your advice. Also my situation right now is that I have an interview tomorrow. However it is not a standard [interview] process as I got it after making a speculative application. Do you think the employer will also waste my time if they didn't have anything available in their business?

I know it's a strange question to ask but I'm just worried this will be the case! :confused:
AngelsandFairies
Rep:
?
(Original post by J-SP)
The employer is unlikely to be wasting their time - they will have better things to do. Things can change, and as quickly as roles become available things can change internally and the role is no longer available. But at worst you are going to spend no more than an hour of your time potentially to find a new job and get the opportunity to move away from a job you don't like.

This can be common when people are depressed, but there is no point in assuming the worst in every situation. Look at it as an opportunity rather than automatically assuming they are purposely wasting your time.
Again thank you again for your advice, it's very much appreciated.

I had another positive outcome this evening, but it's all the waiting game now until Monday when I will hear back from them...
The Director was very pleased with my skills and experience and when I asked that important question on whether or not if I am suitable for the position, he quickly and firmly without hesitation answered yes!
However there is a part of me that thinks I won't get the job, probably because I don't have experience in accounting (as the job involves that) but he said the team will train me which is a positive thing.
Basically there is a high chance I will get it.

I'm just going to wait for Friday now - this third (and hopefully the last!) interview...also have another slightly positive feeling about this one as it's the same industry and same job as today's interview ...but still worried I might not get it either!
Hopefully I will get this job instead of the second one! :rolleyes:
AngelsandFairies
Rep:
?
Update:

Went to the interview and potentially have a job offer because they asked when I can start but they said I would have to wait for a month as they are in the middle of structuring the business in terms of software...:sigh:

A few more Directors have approached me and they all seem like a job is in the pipeline to cater my skills and experience.

I just want to leave my job and move on!
AngelsandFairies
Rep:
?
(Original post by alleycat393)
Thank you for your advice. After 2 weeks of absolute misery because of the job I finally have received 2 offers! :woo:

Problem is finally solved!
Goldenparadise
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Thank you for your advice. After 2 weeks of absolute misery because of the job I finally have received 2 offers! :woo:

Problem is finally solved!
Congratulations! If you don't mind me asking what were you doing before? and why did you hate it so much?
AngelsandFairies
Rep:
?
(Original post by Goldenparadise)
Congratulations! If you don't mind me asking what were you doing before? and why did you hate it so much?
Thank you!

I was working in the property industry. It clearly wasn't for me because I have worked in the social care industry for 4 years and my personality with my manager clashed. Not only that; I hated it so much because he constantly changed his mind about what he instructed me to do - and shouted at me for doing as what he told me to do!
Also the latest 'gaffe' - he literally passed a property ombudsman thing for the company and requested the certificate to be hanged.
There goes me thinking he wanted in a nice frame - which was £1.00.
He questioned why I brought it (I thought well...because how else was I meant to hang it?!) and he wanted to dispute it!
Yes for £1.00... :sigh:

Ridiculous is an understatement!
Goldenparadise
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Thank you!

I was working in the property industry. It clearly wasn't for me because I have worked in the social care industry for 4 years and my personality with my manager clashed. Not only that; I hated it so much because he constantly changed his mind about what he instructed me to do - and shouted at me for doing as what he told me to do!
Also the latest 'gaffe' - he literally passed a property ombudsman thing for the company and requested the certificate to be hanged.
There goes me thinking he wanted in a nice frame - which was £1.00.
He questioned why I brought it (I thought well...because how else was I meant to hang it?!) and he wanted to dispute it!
Yes for £1.00... :sigh:

Ridiculous is an understatement!
When you said property I just knew it must have been horrible, on the upside of things at least now you're moving on. For future reference don't ever let anyone try to take away your smile a work, because people like that a truly sad within themselves and will try to tear you down. Don't let anyone do that to you again and best of luck in your new role.
AngelsandFairies
Rep:
?
(Original post by Goldenparadise)
When you said property I just knew it must have been horrible, on the upside of things at least now you're moving on. For future reference don't ever let anyone try to take away your smile a work, because people like that a truly sad within themselves and will try to tear you down. Don't let anyone do that to you again and best of luck in your new role.
Yes I have learnt from this lesson now, but I guess it happens in any workplace really...

Thank you for the advice though, it's very much appreciated!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you get study leave?

Yes- I like it (182)
61.9%
Yes- I don't like it (12)
4.08%
No- I want it (78)
26.53%
No- I don't want it (22)
7.48%

Watched Threads