Applying to Oxbridge Watch

This discussion is closed.
Avi
Badges: 0
Report Thread starter 14 years ago
My UCAs application is due soon, but I'm not sure if I should apply to Cambridge or Oxford with my predicted grades and AS grades. I have quite a lot ofwork experience (over 3 years) and good extra curricular activities. However, for my AS's I got 2 A's, 1 B and 1 C (for maths, bio, phy, chem). I plan to resit the chem and physics. My predicted are A,A,B,B. Even though I think I can get at least 3 A's. Do u think these grades are enough to be considered for Oxbridge for medicine? Please help as the deadline is soon!
A0307
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
Go for it, why not.
Elles
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
whilst wanting to be encouraging & lots of work Exp. & extra curriculars sounds fab!

..the standard offer for medicine at oxford, at least, is AAA - so with a AABB prediction, unless their are exenuating circumstances, your application may not even be considered.

However, both Oxford & Cambridge are now using the BMAT - so if you thought you could do very well in this, then this may make up for lacklustre (& sorry..but many applicants will be applying with AAAAA at AS) AS performance (how were your GCSE grades?)

The fact is you can only apply for 4 medical schools.. so right now it could be considered that oxford or cambridge would be a waste of an application (remember, many candidates with AAA predictions don't get offers from any medical schools).

What is it you specifically like about them? perhaps you could consider applying after you have your A2 results? & taking a gap year to travel, or work on voluntary projects? or just apply this year anyway, but except there's a fairly strong possibility they may reject you.

alternatively (& i'm a pre BMAt person..!) see if you can carry the results of this exam on a year - & maybe apply to 4 other medicals schools you like this year (with standard offers of AAB) but sit the BMAT (you may need to apply to UCL or one of the medicals schools using this?) & if you do exceptionally well in this, then consider asking any offers you do receive to be made again the next year & then apply to oxbridge.. & if for some reason your BMAT isn't amazing & you don't get AAAA, then you may already have offers for other, equally good medical schools.

Hope this helps :-)
gringalet
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
I've heard it said that Cambridge and Oxford aren't really all that good for medicine in comparison to other places, so if you're worried that you might not get an interview, why not just not bother? Your predicted grades do sound quite 'low' really, even for most Arts subjects there – don't even think about medicine! But hey, if that's what you really want, just go for it!
NDGAARONDI
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
Don't be put off with people with AAAAAAAAAA because they get rejected too.
Avi
Report Thread starter 14 years ago
I find my predicted grades unfair...as I missed an A in physics by 2 marks yet got a B for predicted. Shouldn't Oxbridge have some leaniency due to my choice of subjects being quite tough to get straight A's?
Shushi
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by Avi)
I find my predicted grades unfair...as I missed an A in physics by 2 marks yet got a B for predicted. Shouldn't Oxbridge have some leaniency due to my choice of subjects being quite tough to get straight A's?
There are also with AAA predicted grades and then got ABB or AAB or something, and people who predicted to get AAB gets AAA etc
Teeble
Report 14 years ago
Most friends of mine applying for medicine only have a few weeks, or months, of work experience at the most. With 3 years relevant work experience, your application is going to look a lot better.

You might aswell give it a go, but only if you actually want to go there. Don't just apply because you think you should. And make sure you've got an excellent personal statement, of course.

Good luck.
Elles
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by Teeble)
Most friends of mine applying for medicine only have a few weeks, or months, of work experience at the most. With 3 years relevant work experience, your application is going to look a lot better.
but, i don't know of any oxbridge medics where their work experience was even discussed in the interview - which may indicate the importance they place on it as a selection tool.

plus with work experience it's always quality not quantity. sustained voluntary work is perhaps more relevant.
X
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Lincoln
    Mini Open Day at the Brayford Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 19 Dec '18
  • University of East Anglia
    UEA Mini Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 4 Jan '19
  • Bournemouth University
    Undergraduate Mini Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 9 Jan '19

Were you ever put in isolation at school?

Yes (203)
27.51%
No (535)
72.49%

Watched Threads