Uk jobs for 14 year olds Watch

SmolDuckling
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
I'm looking for a job in the uk, plymouth to be more exact. I was looking at other questions and saw the 'joke' comments so I'm going to answer them before you start typing. Yes there are Chinese slave shops, but I'm not in China right now so that option is unavailable. 'Why don't you just get money off your parents?' Very good questions. My parents are extremely poor and on benefits, which is one of the reasons I want a job. Before people say 'paper rounds' they dont do those around mine anymore, and pet sitting or babysitting. Would you trust a 14 year old with your baby or animal? So please help me out and give me ideas on where I should look or ask
astershook15
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by SmolDuckling)
I'm looking for a job in the uk, plymouth to be more exact. I was looking at other questions and saw the 'joke' comments so I'm going to answer them before you start typing. Yes there are Chinese slave shops, but I'm not in China right now so that option is unavailable. 'Why don't you just get money off your parents?' Very good questions. My parents are extremely poor and on benefits, which is one of the reasons I want a job. Before people say 'paper rounds' they dont do those around mine anymore, and pet sitting or babysitting. Would you trust a 14 year old with your baby or animal? So please help me out and give me ideas on where I should look or ask
You could start out at low-paying jobs like McDonalds and Tesco and work your way up to better paying jobs, for which you would need to ask around different places if they would give you a job.
Rock Fan
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Your best hope is to try and get a paper round job.
cat_mac
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
You’ve answered your own question really, there isn’t much. Until you’re 16 those are your options.
Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
Appleorpear
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Some delivery job?
Snoozinghamster
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
If all those options aren’t possible then you are really limited until you reach 16, you could try independent stores or market stalls that may be willing to pay you cash in hand but you will have no guarantee of minimum wage or anything so it’s less than ideal.

Maybe consider if you really need the job, you could always try odd jobs for cash, car washing mowing the grass etc for neighbours, it’s not a permanent income but gets you some cash.
SmolDuckling
Rep:
?
(Original post by cat_mac)
You’ve answered your own question really, there isn’t much. Until you’re 16 those are your options.
Well not exactly, there isnt much but there still is some. There are many options I can do, its just finding a business that'l take me. For example I could be a waitress, but a business may not hire me because they believe that I won't be a good worker or that it'l be too hard.
SmolDuckling
Rep:
?
(Original post by TryHardNoob)
Rob a few shops, banks etc.
I get the joke, but I'm being serious.
SmolDuckling
Rep:
?
(Original post by Rock Fan)
Your best hope is to try and get a paper round job.
Thanka for your reply, but I already stated that they don't
do paper rounds around my house
Rock Fan
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Well not exactly, there isnt much but there still is some. There are many options I can do, its just finding a business that'l take me. For example I could be a waitress, but a business may not hire me because they believe that I won't be a good worker or that it'l be too hard.
Like people have been telling you, it is very unlikely you will find anything other than a paper round, if they don't do it in your area then think you are pretty much stuck until you turn 16.
SmolDuckling
Rep:
?
(Original post by Rock Fan)
Like people have been telling you, it is very unlikely you will find anything other than a paper round, if they don't do it in your area then think you are pretty much stuck until you turn 16.
Unlikely but not impossible
cat_mac
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
There are a lot of things employers have to take into consideration with child workers (legally) so it’s not just a case of them not thinking you’re capable. (Not saying child to be patronising, that’s just legally what you’re classed as in this context)

Children are not allowed to work:

• without an employment permit issued by the education department of the local council, if this is required by local bylaws
• in places like a factory or industrial site
• during school hours
• before 7am or after 7pm
• for more than one hour before school (unless local bylaws allow it)
• for more than 4 hours without taking a break of at least 1 hour
• in most jobs in pubs and betting shops and those prohibited in local bylaws
• in any work that may be harmful to their health, well-being or education
• without having a 2-week break from any work during the school holidays in each calendar year

During term time children can only work a maximum of 12 hours a week. This includes:
• a maximum of 2 hours on school days and Sundays
• a maximum of 5 hours on Saturdays for 13 to 14-year-olds, or 8 hours for 15 to 16-year-olds

Also you’re not entitled to minimum wage until 16.

All this info is from the .gov website, i’ll link it for you below.

https://www.gov.uk/child-employment/...ild-employment
Rock Fan
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Unlikely but not impossible
Not impossible but it is very hard to see anywhere taking a 14 year old on, not trying to sound negative but your chances are very remote.
SmolDuckling
Rep:
?
(Original post by cat_mac)
There are a lot of things employers have to take into consideration with child workers (legally) so it’s not just a case of them not thinking you’re capable. (Not saying child to be patronising, that’s just legally what you’re classed as in this context)

Children are not allowed to work:

• without an employment permit issued by the education department of the local council, if this is required by local bylaws
• in places like a factory or industrial site
• during school hours
• before 7am or after 7pm
• for more than one hour before school (unless local bylaws allow it)
• for more than 4 hours without taking a break of at least 1 hour
• in most jobs in pubs and betting shops and those prohibited in local bylaws
• in any work that may be harmful to their health, well-being or education
• without having a 2-week break from any work during the school holidays in each calendar year

During term time children can only work a maximum of 12 hours a week. This includes:
• a maximum of 2 hours on school days and Sundays
• a maximum of 5 hours on Saturdays for 13 to 14-year-olds, or 8 hours for 15 to 16-year-olds

Also you’re not entitled to minimum wage until 16.

All this info is from the .gov website, i’ll link it for you below.

https://www.gov.uk/child-employment/...ild-employment
Thank you, but I know all of this I have done so much research
Emma:-)
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Like has been said in all these other threads- hardly anyone will hire under 16's.
Basically because a) there are so many rules regarding employing under 16's, such as when you can work, what hours etc and b) you dont have a national insurance number until you are nearly 16.
Your best bet is a paper round, or babysitting/dog walking/gardening etc etc.
You will find the odd cafe, restaurant who may take you on, but these will be the smaller ones, not the big chain ones.
Why dont you do some voluntary work, in somewhere like a charity shop etc, so at least when you do turn 16, you will have some experience which will help you to get a job.
Emma:-)
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by astershook15)
You could start out at low-paying jobs like McDonalds and Tesco and work your way up to better paying jobs, for which you would need to ask around different places if they would give you a job.
a) places like mcdonalds, tesco etc dont take on under 16's.
b) They pay higher wages than you think. I worked at mcdonalds for 9 years, so i should know.
SmolDuckling
Rep:
?
(Original post by Emma:-))
Like has been said in all these other threads- hardly anyone will hire under 16's.
Basically because a) there are so many rules regarding employing under 16's, such as when you can work, what hours etc and b) you dont have a national insurance number until you are nearly 16.
Your best bet is a paper round, or babysitting/dog walking/gardening etc etc.
You will find the odd cafe, restaurant who may take you on, but these will be the smaller ones, not the big chain ones.
Why dont you do some voluntary work, in somewhere like a charity shop etc, so at least when you do turn 16, you will have some experience which will help you to get a job.
I have actually just applied for volunteer work and I'm waiting for a reply.
sarahyousaf786
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
maybe a small corner shop or newsagents perhaps? Is there any about near you?
SmolDuckling
Rep:
?
(Original post by sarahyousaf786)
maybe a small corner shop or newsagents perhaps? Is there any about near you?
There is, do you have any idea about how I would ask? I don't to look like an idiot
calypsocalippo
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
I had a job when I was fourteen, and honestly I really regret it. I worked in a cafe - somebody's already listed the legal issues of minors working further up, but because i wasn't 16 i was only paid £3 an hour because it was technically legal. I didn't quit because I knew I was unlikely to get a job anywhere else with better pay. My employer also made me work hours way over the legal requirement. The boss was also just plain mean (and looking back, not very good at her job.) Other friends of mine had jobs (one with horses, one in a different cafe) and they had a better employer. If you're set on getting a job, just be careful of getting exploited. Non-chain cafes or shops might be worth asking in - just go in a drop of a CV. Also, everyone trusts 14 yr olds with babysitting and dog-walking. One way to get in on that is make a flyer (like A5) and put them through local letter boxes along a couple local streets. I started babysitting at 15 i think, most of my friends started before. I was dog-walking at 13.

So yeah, a job is great, just be careful to get the right one.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...

All the exam results help you need

people online now

students helped last year
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you have grade requirements for your sixth form/college?

At least 5 GCSEs at grade 4 (64)
14.35%
At least 5 GCSEs at grade 5 (69)
15.47%
At least 5 GCSEs at grade 6 (84)
18.83%
Higher than 5 GCSEs at grade 6 (180)
40.36%
Pass in English and Maths GCSE (21)
4.71%
No particular grades needed (28)
6.28%