The Student Room Group

Maths GCSE resit help

Hello everyone, I got a D in my maths GCSE a few years ago I am now hoping to resit to get a B/C.
The problem is I am studying remotely from home and have no help, does anyone know the really vital stuff I should be learning to get a C? Since I have no teacher I am sort of guessing and I am drowning in all the info.
Many thanks
Reply 1
Im in the same position but im using the GCP books to help me. And if you do past papers and revise the topics your not sure of, that should help.
Reply 2
Original post by xenya
Hello everyone, I got a D in my maths GCSE a few years ago I am now hoping to resit to get a B/C.
The problem is I am studying remotely from home and have no help, does anyone know the really vital stuff I should be learning to get a C? Since I have no teacher I am sort of guessing and I am drowning in all the info.
Many thanks

Are you doing higher or foundation.Did you get a D in the foundation/higher paper ?? How much did it cost to do a retake, i cant afford one and i dont know what to do
Original post by xenya
Many thanks

Assuming you are in England you can no longer get a C as grades have changed to a 9-1 scale, a 4 would be considered a pass a 5 is a strong pass and a 6 would roughly match a B. If you aspire to achieving a 6 then you have to do higher tier. You could do exams in summer or in November. If you want to do it in the summer you need to have your exam centre sorted out soon.
The www.mathsgenie.co.uk web site lists the topics you should study in order of difficulty with revision videos and practice questions. If you quickly revise the easiest stuff and study the grade 3, 4, 5 and if you have time grade 6 content you ought to be in good shape to achieve your goal.
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 4
Original post by gdunne42
Assuming you are in England you can no longer get a C as grades have changed to a 9-1 scale, a 4 would be considered a pass a 5 is a strong pass and a 6 would roughly match a B. If you aspire to achieving a 6 then you have to do higher tier. You could do exams in summer or in November. If you want to do it in the summer you need to have your exam centre sorted out soon.
The www.mathsgenie.co.uk web site lists the topics you should study in order of difficulty with revision videos and practice questions. If you quickly revise the easiest stuff and study the grade 3, 4, 5 and if you have time grade 6 content you ought to be in good shape to achieve your goal.

Yes thanks I am aware, I mean the equivalent of a C so a 4.
I have sorted out the exam , I am more interested in revision hints/helps from peoples teachers but thank you!
Reply 5
Its around 100 and you need to personally sort out the centre i.e ringing schools and asking which is annoying. Im planning on doing AQA foundation, it is apparently more straight forward than Edexcel
Original post by Ty457
Are you doing higher or foundation.Did you get a D in the foundation/higher paper ?? How much did it cost to do a retake, i cant afford one and i dont know what to do
Original post by xenya
Many thanks

Maybe you should talk to somebody, if not your teacher, in school about what topics you need to revise. Maybe it's worth reflecting on which questions you weren't so good at in the previous exam and maybe they're the topics you need to work around. If you wasn't sure how to answer the questions then maybe it's worth revising exam technique also, which your teacher can help you with in school if you ask them.
Reply 7
Yeah I have at least 7 books but its not the same as a teacher :/

Original post by wapaw
Im in the same position but im using the GCP books to help me. And if you do past papers and revise the topics your not sure of, that should help.
Reply 8
Original post by _Eleven_
Maybe you should talk to somebody, if not your teacher, in school about what topics you need to revise. Maybe it's worth reflecting on which questions you weren't so good at in the previous exam and maybe they're the topics you need to work around. If you wasn't sure how to answer the questions then maybe it's worth revising exam technique also, which your teacher can help you with in school if you ask them.

Thanks but the whole point is I’m not in school and have no help haha
Reply 9
Original post by xenya
Yeah I have at least 7 books but its not the same as a teacher :/

Im also doing AQA foundation. Im doing ok because I also got a D last time. If you got a D you should already have some fair knowledge of stuff, and I dont think the curriculum has changed much.
Original post by xenya
Yes thanks I am aware, I mean the equivalent of a C so a 4.
I have sorted out the exam , I am more interested in revision hints/helps from peoples teachers but thank you!

My advice to use the mathsgenie web site still applies.
As you are taking foundation you only need to study as far as the grade 5 topics.
Reply 11
Original post by wapaw
Im also doing AQA foundation. Im doing ok because I also got a D last time. If you got a D you should already have some fair knowledge of stuff, and I dont think the curriculum has changed much.

I hope so! It was over 4 years ago though so it’s all new to me
Original post by xenya
Thanks but the whole point is I’m not in school and have no help haha

If your parents or any of your relatives have any knowledge then maybe they can help. If you have access to Internet then it's worth looking on the exam board website for some past papers to practice if you haven't been given any already. Getting hold of a revision guide from a local library or online would be helpful. MathsWatch is a very useful website, if you haven't already then sign up. Here's a link:
https://vle.mathswatch.co.uk/vle/

Hope that helps:smile:

Quick Reply

Latest