Which Course to Choose. Watch

Rachf87
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
Hello I am a mature student with a toddler. I am planning to enroll with the open university this year. I am applying for a credit transfer of one year of a social work degree from a long time ago.

My long term goal is to do a degree with the open university part time then when my little boy is in school i will do a Masters Degree in Social Work ( I have always wanted to get a masters degree). I would use the degree to pursue a career in social work but i am also interested in health and social care trainer roles, assessor roles and care management.

When i read the units that will be studied from a few different courses I get really excited about the Social Psychology course. I feel like I could easily spend 18 hours a week studying that. When I read the units in the Health and Social Care Degree I don't feel enthusiastic about studying. I know I may get more on a credit transfer for H&S Care but if I had to retake the whole thing to do social psychology I would do an open degree and just choose the social psychology units.

I am torn, I feel like H&S Care will help me work my way up sooner in health and social care in case I need a break before my MA but then I might not even end up needing the MA if I get in a good care management job. But I really want to do the social psychology degree. I dont feel like I could stay motivated to study from home in health and social care. I plan to study social work at a university as opposed to open university so that will keep me engaged during the social work masters. Plus I have studied before and I enjoyed it.

My heart says one thing and my head says another. Any advice or insight would be greatly appreciated.

thanks,

Rachel
Rosco316
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Not sure why you don't just do a straight degree in social work? This would save you about another 2 to 3 years doing a masters not to mention the fees in England are horrendous.
Rachf87
Rep:
?
(Original post by Rosco316)
Not sure why you don't just do a straight degree in social work? This would save you about another 2 to 3 years doing a masters not to mention the fees in England are horrendous.
Basically, I want to have another child and i cant start full time at uni until the youngest is at school which is, at a minimum, 5 years away. I am also not happy to study full time while my child/children is/are under 5.

I have also recieved 2 years of funding via student finance so I am only eligible for 2 years unless I appeal. I would be able to get funding for a masters though and for the open university, So I may not be able to do a full 3 years of social work degree at a normal university.

I could wait to go uni full time but I am desperate to study again.

thanks so much for your reply.
Rosco316
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Yep but the OU do a social work degree?
http://www.open.ac.uk/courses/qualifications/q32
Rachf87
Rep:
?
(Original post by Rosco316)
Yep but the OU do a social work degree?
http://www.open.ac.uk/courses/qualifications/q32
you can't apply directly to that degree. it's one you do through your employer. my employer wouldn't do that and I can only work part time so wouldn't work. good idea though but not applicable to me.
Snufkin
  • TSR Support Team
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Rachf87)
But I really want to do the social psychology degree. I dont feel like I could stay motivated to study from home in health and social care.l
That's all that matters, there's absolutely no point doing a degree if you know from the outset that you will find it hard to stay motivated. If you are genuinely interested in social psychology then you should do it. You can do an MA in Social Work with a degree in any subject, so really, there's no reason to do Health and Social Care.
Persipan
  • Community Assistant
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
If the only thing preventing you from doing the Social Psychology course is the credit transfer, you could always do an Open Degree and just do the Social Psychology modules. Or, ask them to assess how much credit transfer you'd get towards Social Psychology and then make a decision. (For an Open Degree they will pretty much transfer in any create, so long as it's still 'in date', as it were).
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Where do you need more help?

Which Uni should I go to? (149)
18.63%
How successful will I become if I take my planned subjects? (79)
9.88%
How happy will I be if I take this career? (135)
16.88%
How do I achieve my dream Uni placement? (114)
14.25%
What should I study to achieve my dream career? (78)
9.75%
How can I be the best version of myself? (245)
30.63%

Watched Threads