Rosieelms
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
I’ve received some offers for English Language and linguistics at uni & I was just wondering if anyone has studied it and could tell me how they found it/what kind of things they studied so I could do some more research into possible branches of the subject. I’m scared that I won’t be good enough at it / won’t enjoy it. Thanks (:
jburns1
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
I did! I would say to just do some light reading around the subject, nothing too technical. Something funny or interesting like this or this. Remember that you'll learn everything you need to on the course. That's what you're paying them for.

I can't say if you'll enjoy it because nobody really enjoys their degree in that sense, they enjoy university or learning. You will almost certainly find some modules boring, regardless of the course you choose.

English Lan + Ling has topics that cover anything from the history of language and old English to morphology and language acquisition etc. but you always study the core subjects, phonetics + phonology, syntax (which I found the dullest), sociolinguistics and psycholinguistics.
I would say go for it. English Language and Linguistics students are middle brain thinkers typically. Somewhere in between Mathsy and Englishy if that makes sense. But not all are like that. In an abstract sense, it appeals to those of us who like patterns.
Don't worry about not being good at it. Make sure you do some studying every day for a couple of hours or even less after lectures, and you'll be fine.
What's important is you enjoy yourself and don't get too stressed out about studying or getting the highest grade. I saw plenty of people drop out because of stress. You're there to learn. It's not a job.
SHUGURU
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Rosieelms)
I’ve received some offers for English Language and linguistics at uni & I was just wondering if anyone has studied it and could tell me how they found it/what kind of things they studied so I could do some more research into possible branches of the subject. I’m scared that I won’t be good enough at it / won’t enjoy it. Thanks (:
Hey!

I'm currently a third year studying English language at Sheffield Hallam.

As jburns1 said, the courses can be really broad and so many topics come under English language and linguistics. Look into the specific courses that you've received offers for, as they will each differ slightly in their modules and their approaches to studying English language. This will not only mean that you can look into some basic reading and studying of those modules, but you can also start to think about which courses interest you more and where you'd prefer to go. Which unis have you applied to, btw?

My favourite parts of English language are in sociolinguistics, as they give you an understanding of society through language use. I've always found it interesting, and as jburns1 said, some modules will definitely stimulate you more than others! What made you choose English language and linguistics?

Have a look at the modules on your courses - if you want to have a chat about any specifics I'd love to!
Rosieelms
Rep:
?
Thank you jburns1, this was really helpful! I’ve been trying to do some background reading into the history of language and dialects but these sound interesting. Also you’re right, I guess I’m just worried about not being at the same level as everyone else (even though there’s not really any reason why I would be). Have you finished your degree now?
Rosieelms
Rep:
?
Hi Shuguru, thanks for the reply! I’ve been looking into modules on each course and a lot of them are quite similar (phonetics, morphology etc) but I’m finding the optional modules are all different so that’s probably how I’m going to pick the course. I’ve got offers from Cardiff uni, Birmingham uni, Swansea uni & Sussex uni + an interview at Southampton uni (any tips would be very much appreciated).

I chose English language and linguistics because I think learning more about specifics would be interesting and teach me a lot about the world really. Hopefully it will help career-wise too.

I was also wondering which modules you found the worst/best (:
Hijikata
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
I'll hopefully be doing this degree come September too. I had similiar doubts too, but it's the degree that most appeals to me so I will give it my all despite the apprehension.

I highly recommend the book "The study of Language " by George Yule. It's an excellent introduction to the subject and has a glossary to help familiarise yourself with technical terms.
Rosieelms
Rep:
?
Thanks Hijijkata, I’ll definitely look into this book! Good luck with your application.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Norwich University of the Arts
    Postgraduate Open Day Postgraduate
    Thu, 23 Jan '20
  • SOAS University of London
    Development Studies, Interdisciplinary Studies, Anthropology and Sociology, Languages, Cultures and Linguistics, Arts, Economics, Law, History, Religions and Philosophies, Politics and International Studies, Finance and Management, East Asian Languages & Cultures Postgraduate
    Sat, 25 Jan '20
  • University of Huddersfield
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 25 Jan '20

How are your mock exams going?

Love them - Feeling positive (12)
7.02%
They've been reasonable (70)
40.94%
Not feeling great... (44)
25.73%
They are TERRIBLE! (45)