Aoife3171
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
I need help picking my a levels. I have done my mocks for GCSE and have gotten 9 A* and and A in Spanish. I do chem, bio, maths, RE, English lit, English Lang, further maths, maths, Spanish and technology. I know I want to be a vet and I know I want to do 4 As subjects and drop to 3 A level subjects. For veterinary I need chem and bio. I was also thinking of maths but I have no clue what I should do for my fourth subject. Any ideas? What other subject would look good to universities? I also have the option of picking up some subjects like geography, history, food nutrition, Business studies and health and social care. Any advice will be appreciated. Thanks
lowza
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
You've got three great facilitating subjects as your A2s, so I'd pick the one you currently most enjoy for your AS. It might be helpful to have an essay subject, since that shows some versatility to your ability and obviously you wanna get into the habit of being able to write essays as you will inevitably have to at uni. Therefore, I'd go for something like English Lit or History.

(also, definitely take maths!)
Little Tail Chaser
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Vet School A Level Requirements.
(Be warned that the page is slightly out of date and I would suggest double checking on all the universites' websites).

For your fourth it honestly does not matter. It's a misconception that universities prioritise students that have done specific A level combinations; as long as you take the required subjects and your third A level is an academic subject (i.e. not general studies or critical thinking), then you're good! I would suggest picking a subject that you're interested in, that you enjoy, and that you think you'll get a good grade in. I personally did physics as my third (and maths as my fourth AS) but I know other people at vet school who took geography, history, French, English literature, sociology, psychology and PE.

From your suggested options, I would potentially avoid food nutrition and health and social care, but the others are fine
Aoife3171
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
What do u think of me doing maths,chem, bio and technology or maybe physics? Is it too science based? What would the work load be like?
Little Tail Chaser
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by Aoife3171)
What do u think of me doing maths,chem, bio and technology or maybe physics? Is it too science based? What would the work load be like?
Sounds good! No such thing as 'too science based', veterinary medicine is a science course after all and there are components of maths and physics that are applicable.

Bio, chem, physics and maths (AS) is what I did and I found the workload manageable. :yep: It was definitely less work than some of my friends who took more essay-based subjects.
young4b1
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by Aoife3171)
Sounds good to me if you enjoy those subjects! I’m in A2 and I do Bio Chem Maths and Psychology and I love it, the workload isn’t too much at all (i know people who do the same but physics instead of psychology). The subjects you chose also work well together e.g. in chemistry we have a unit on AS Biology, and in Maths we have a unit on physics (mechanics) etc. Just do what you love!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you have the space and resources you need to succeed in home learning?

Yes I have everything I need (54)
65.85%
I don't have everything I need (28)
34.15%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed