The Student Room Group

GCSE History GCSE Product Design

What are the pros and cons of History and Product Design?

I will be choosing my options soon, and will definitely pick computer science. If the blocks allow me to, I will also pick triple science and French.

I don't know which to pick out of history and product design. I am more of an academic person, however I would like something slightly less academic as I already have French, triple science and computer science. I am also not good at all at remembering dates, but I do alright in history (I got all marks in the 2 GCSE questions we have done so far).

Anyways, not asking you guys to pick one for me as only I can, and it doesn't really matter. I was just wondering about you experiences with the subjects, and the pros and cons of each
I chose GCSE History (edexcel) im in yr10 and I find the topics we are learning about very interesting. I also find it very useful in understanding real life world, especially the Cold War topic. But beware, there are a lot more essay style questions that you might expect (well, in my opinion). Also, the teacher that you have might affect how much you like the topic (but this is only a minor thing, dont choose your subjects based on the teacher)
bump
bump
Personally History is way better unless you need product design for you future job.
Original post by Kuchan
Personally History is way better unless you need product design for you future job.

But idk what I want to do in my future job, which is why it is a hard choice :P
Original post by Bill Nye
But idk what I want to do in my future job, which is why it is a hard choice :P

Okay let me ask you some questions then.
Which subject do you like the most?
Which subject do you do better in?
Which subject do you enjoy the most?
Which subject has the better teacher?
Original post by Kuchan
Okay let me ask you some questions then.
Which subject do you like the most?
Which subject do you do better in?
Which subject do you enjoy the most?
Which subject has the better teacher?

Which subject do you like the most? IDK in theory I would like history as it sounds really interesting etc but in reality I would dread a double history lesson and look forward to a double tech lesson (I don't hate history there are just others I prefer e.g. maths)
Which subject do you do better in? History
Which subject do you enjoy the most? Product design
Which subject has the better teacher? Product design I think - there are a bunch of new history teachers and the one I have at the moment only teaches up to year 9, but the product design teachers are good
(edited 6 years ago)
Which subject do you like the most? IDK in theory I would like history as it sounds really interesting etc but in reality I would dread a double history lesson and look forward to a double tech lesson
Which subject do you do better in? History
Which subject do you enjoy the most? Product design
Which subject has the better teacher? Product design

Product design seems like the best choice. You have a humanities subject already (french) so you wouldn't really need history.
Just pick product design honestly 😂.
I did GCSE Product Design, got an A* because it was really easy. It is time-consuming though, you're supposed to spend about 46 hours on coursework... probably did over 60 hours. When everyone is going home, you'll probably have to stay after school to finish your coursework. And remember it isn't all just practical. There is a lot of theory which you'll have to learn for the exam, but it's easy to remember and the lessons were quite fun.
This a little late but im in Year 11 starting exams in may and I take History and Product Design. I like it. It gives me the freedom to make whatever I want in Product Design. I like doing coursework compared just to ONE exam for your grade. History is interesting. I didnt like it in year 10 but this year its gotten interesting.
Original post by itsrobbiew
This a little late but im in Year 11 starting exams in may and I take History and Product Design. I like it. It gives me the freedom to make whatever I want in Product Design. I like doing coursework compared just to ONE exam for your grade. History is interesting. I didnt like it in year 10 but this year its gotten interesting.

I thought there was 25% coursework for History as well.
Original post by Victoria5
I thought there was 25% coursework for History as well.

Nah, most subjects have no coursework at all.
Nah, most subjects have no coursework at all.

Oh so coursework has been removed from the new spec. I did the old GCSE History spec and got 25% of my marks from coursework. Most of the subjects I had coursework including English Lang, English Lit, Biology, Chemistry, Physics, History, German and Business Studies. Maths and Religious studies were the only two subjects I did that didn't have coursework. I assumed the coursework was still present in the new GCSE's. Coursework used to be a real grade booster.
Oh so coursework has been removed from the new spec. I did the old GCSE History spec and got 25% of my marks from coursework. Most of the subjects I had coursework including English Lang, English Lit, Biology, Chemistry, Physics, History, German and Business Studies. Maths and Religious studies were the only two subjects I did that didn't have coursework. I assumed the coursework was still present in the new GCSE's. Coursework used to be a real grade booster.

Now coursework is only on more 'creative' subjects like design technology / art + design courses etc

Computer science has an NEA

Probably others but idk
I don't know about product design as I never did it for GCSE but certainly can enlighten you about GCSE History.

History is quite a interesting and enjoyable subject. I did History and loved the course. The volume of information you need to learn for GCSE History can be a lot but as long as you effectively revise all the content and do practice lots of essay and source questions you will be alright. You need to be prepared to put the time and effort into it as there are loads of dates you need to remember and sometimes essay writing and source evaluation can be a tough nut to crack.

I suggest you have a look at the GCSE History spec to see if the topics interest you to make a informed decision. If you want to do A level History GCSE would be good preparation for that as well. The subject does give you good essay writing skills which can be useful for other subjects such as English Literature.
(edited 5 years ago)
I don't know about product design as I never did it for GCSE but certainly can enlighten you about GCSE History.

History is quite a interesting and enjoyable subject. I did History and loved the course. The volume of information you need to learn for GCSE History can be a lot but as long as you effectively revise all the content and do practice lots of essay and source questions you will be alright. You need to be prepared to put the time and effort into it as there are loads of dates you need to remember and sometimes essay writing and source evaluation can be a tough nut to crack.

I suggest you have a look at the GCSE History spec to see if the topics interest you to make a informed decision. If you want to do A level History GCSE would be good preparation for that as well. The subject does give you good essay writing skills which can be useful for other subjects such as English Literature.

Sorry I have already picked my options! :P

I chose French, computer science, triple science and product design.

I chose product design because I find History quite boring (even though I am probably better at it than DT). My teacher also said do not take History if you do not enjoy English. I am rubbish at English and hate it :P I am definitely better at maths / science subjects.
Did both
Original post by CoolCavy
Did both

Boi.
Sorry I have already picked my options! :P

I chose French, computer science, triple science and product design.

I chose product design because I find History quite boring (even though I am probably better at it than DT). My teacher also said do not take History if you do not enjoy English. I am rubbish at English and hate it :P I am definitely better at maths / science subjects.

I just noticed the date of this thread was started lol. Sorry about that didn't pay attention to the date of the thread.

Quick Reply

Latest