The Student Room Group

Kings college london offers me a course i did not apply for

Hello,

So, I applied for Kings College's International Relations course with entry requirement of A*AA, which understandably my lacking predicted grades (mainly my very unfaithful teachers) of A (Biology) A (Politics) and B (History) meant I got a swift rejection a mere week later.

I'd quickly called them up asking for the reasons (although I was aware it was my low predicted grades. They'd confirmed my suspicions and mainly brought up my B in History which had weakened my strong application considerably; yet they would've possibly given me an offer if I had gotten predicted an A in History.

Yet, I'd received an email from King's Apply saying I was considered for the History course with entry requirements of AAA, obviously an A for History, which confused me. I hadn't applied for it myself, but they were already considering my application for the course, thus I had no say in it. Therefore I let it happen, wondering whether I would get a second rejection from my dream uni.

They'd accepted me, which makes me utterly confused. Why reject me for a course mainly due to my B in History but give me an offer in the History course? What should I do?

Also, I've already decided to reject the course since History isn't my main passion and the King's course is, honestly, not appealing to me.

Thank you.
(edited 6 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Wow, I don’t know what to say other than that is weird. Try calling them again and telling them this.
Original post by sakikaru
HWhat should I do?

That is obvious. It is an offer. You put it offer into consideration against any others you have once all your other decisions are in. If you prefer it to others, accept it; if not, decline it.

The operative proverb, of course, is never look a gift horse in the mouth.
Reply 3
Original post by Good bloke
That is obvious. It is an offer. You put it offer into consideration against any others you have once all your other decisions are in. If you prefer it to others, accept it; if not, decline it.

The operative proverb, of course, is never look a gift horse in the mouth.

Yes, I'm definitely aware of the simplicity of the situation, yet it's not as black and white. I hadn't once talked about my passion for history in my PS and made it abundantly aware of my passion for IR, thus I'm confused as to why I'm receiving a HISTORY offer.

Thank you for your response nonetheless.
I'm confused as to why I'm receiving a HISTORY offer.

Don't be. The implication is that IR course can afford to be choosier than the history course, which may be even be short of decent applicants.
I've applied for IR at KCL as well, not sure wether to expect an offer but I can see why it's your dream uni! If you have offers from another uni you like in IR id say take it, it's a much more employable degree than History but I can see why it would be difficult for you.
Reply 6
Original post by ellamax123
I've applied for IR at KCL as well, not sure wether to expect an offer but I can see why it's your dream uni! If you have offers from another uni you like in IR id say take it, it's a much more employable degree than History but I can see why it would be difficult for you.

Aw, hopefully you do get an offer; you definitely deserve it. Yes, I've received offers from QMUL, SOAS and Westminster, but I'm relying on adjustment at this moment of time.
Aw, hopefully you do get an offer; you definitely deserve it. Yes, I've received offers from QMUL, SOAS and Westminster, but I'm relying on adjustment at this moment of time.

Thank you, I hope I get a simple acceptance or rejection as I don't envy your decision! So KCL is the only Russell Group you applied for? May be worth doing unless you are completely set on IR, how difficult!
Reply 8
Original post by ellamax123
Thank you, I hope I get a simple acceptance or rejection as I don't envy your decision! So KCL is the only Russell Group you applied for? May be worth doing unless you are completely set on IR, how difficult!

I've also applied for QMUL and LSE (a long shot, actually ahah), yeah I've set my heart on possibly going to QMUL and transferring to King's after first year, I guess. Because I don't fancy doing history at uni.
Hello,

So, I applied for Kings College's International Relations course with entry requirement of A*AA, which understandably my lacking predicted grades (mainly my very unfaithful teachers) of A (Biology) A (Politics) and B (History) meant I got a swift rejection a mere week later.

I'd quickly called them up asking for the reasons (although I was aware it was my low predicted grades. They'd confirmed my suspicions and mainly brought up my B in History which had weakened my strong application considerably; yet they would've possibly given me an offer if I had gotten predicted an A in History.

Yet, I'd received an email from King's Apply saying I was considered for the History course with entry requirements of AAA, obviously an A for History, which confused me. I hadn't applied for it myself, but they were already considering my application for the course, thus I had no say in it. Therefore I let it happen, wondering whether I would get a second rejection from my dream uni.

They'd accepted me, which makes me utterly confused. Why reject me for a course mainly due to my B in History but give me an offer in the History course? What should I do?

Also, I've already decided to reject the course since History isn't my main passion and the King's course is, honestly, not appealing to me.

Thank you.

Hey– the exact same thing happened to me today, I was applying for the PPE course, and they just send me an email today saying that I didn't get in but that they were considering me for the History course. I also have no idea what to do, have you called them or do you know anything more?
You could have asked that if you did get the required grades for IR if they could let you switch on results day.
Why reject me for a course mainly due to my B in History but give me an offer in the History course?

Offers are a straightforward matter of economics, of supply and demand and the consequent price point. IR at Kings is massively more popular and therefore competitive than History. That's why the B prediction is not good enough for IR, but is good enough for History.
Reply 12
Original post by charlotteluth
Hey– the exact same thing happened to me today, I was applying for the PPE course, and they just send me an email today saying that I didn't get in but that they were considering me for the History course. I also have no idea what to do, have you called them or do you know anything more?

Ah, I'd called them explaining my situation and how my predicted grades do not reflect my potential. Afterwards, they told me to fill out a mitigating circumstances form explaining my situation. Make sure to call admissions.
Reply 13
Original post by AspiringUnderdog
You could have asked that if you did get the required grades for IR if they could let you switch on results day.

Yes I did and unfortunately they claimed there's never really spaces for the course due to its competitiveness. :frown:
Reply 14
Hello,

Thank you.

The exact same thing happened to me today although my story makes a lot more sense. I’m predicted an A* in history and I clearly have a passion for it so I didn’t need to question why they put me in the history course. But my dream course is International relations so I was kinda gutted that I didn’t get through but I feel like Kings would be such a great uni experience so I’m stuck. I’ve received an offer from SOAS, Bristol, Exeter and am waiting to hear back from LSE. I’m hoping I get into LSE but I hear the worst things about the student there like ever which scares me. Ugh it’s such an annoying and confusing situation I want to go to kings so bad but History at least makes sense for me. So weird how the out you in history it just creates the impression that they don’t care that much about where they want you but at least they haven’t completely disregarded you I gues..... good luck though! Sorry I ramble this reply is too long
Original post by lucyMDC
The exact same thing happened to me today although my story makes a lot more sense. I’m predicted an A* in history and I clearly have a passion for it so I didn’t need to question why they put me in the history course. But my dream course is International relations so I was kinda gutted that I didn’t get through but I feel like Kings would be such a great uni experience so I’m stuck. I’ve received an offer from SOAS, Bristol, Exeter and am waiting to hear back from LSE. I’m hoping I get into LSE but I hear the worst things about the student there like ever which scares me. Ugh it’s such an annoying and confusing situation I want to go to kings so bad but History at least makes sense for me. So weird how the out you in history it just creates the impression that they don’t care that much about where they want you but at least they haven’t completely disregarded you I gues..... good luck though! Sorry I ramble this reply is too long

You're now the third person on TSR who had posted about King's offering them History instead. Applications must be down...

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by lucyMDC

Hey sorry to asks this but the same thing happened to me, but they haven't gotten back to me yet, or like accepted my application for the History course, how long did it take them to accept you after they deferred your application the history course?
Reply 17
So strange that this has happened to so many people. I was accepted into history the same day I received an email about my application being moved to History. But because this has happened to so many people it might be taking them a while to go through them all. Good luck!
Reply 18
Original post by lucyMDC

Exactly! I'm quite different in terms of politics was something I was proven to be passionate about; yet history is not my passion at all, which is unnerving. I think it's a huge mistake from them thinking I would pay £9,250 yearly to do a course I do not have an ounce of passion for especially since my personal statement hardly has anything about history, there's honestly more about my biology A-level. I've also recieved offers from QMUL, Westminister and SOAS and waiting for LSE to do Politics and IR. Hopefully you get an offer! x
Reply 19
Original post by ageshallnot
You're now the third person on TSR who had posted about King's offering them History instead. Applications must be down...

Posted from TSR Mobile

Definitely...when I called them up they also offered geography (a subject I haven't even done since yr 8) and religion and society which is slightly off.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending