is it rare for a teenager to hear and see things?

Watch
jason_s_s
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
Just wondering...

how common is schizophrenia in teenagers?
cat_mac
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
As far as I know most people have their first episode in their early 20’s. But that’s not set in stone, you can experience it at any age. Your best bet is to see your gp and explain your symptoms and get the relevant treatment asap!
username3431918
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Schizophrenia tends to have an onset around the 20's and 30's. Regardless, if you're feeling some type of way then don't be afraid to get help - it's okay to ask for it.
pjrodarte339
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
I occasionally experience that too, but only when I'm feeling tired (which is most of the time). I think that a good nights sleep might help.
Cat476
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by jason_s_s)
Just wondering...

how common is schizophrenia in teenagers?
Schizophrenia affects around every 1 in 100 people and, though not as common, can affect children and teens.

You should go and see a GP and, if diagnosed, you'll probably be prescribed Risperidone.
Sabertooth
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by Cat476)
Schizophrenia affects around every 1 in 100 people and, though not as common, can affect children and teens.

You should go and see a GP and, if diagnosed, you'll probably be prescribed Risperidone.
I liked the bit where you picked a random antipsychotic out of the air. :wizard:
Cat476
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by Sabertooth)
I liked the bit where you picked a random antipsychotic out of the air. :wizard:
What, compared to typical/aytpical antipsychotics like Clozapine which can cause long term conditions such as tardive dyskinesia or neuroleptic malignant syndrome? Risperidone is as effective but with less serious side effects, hence why I chose that drug to mention. I know there are others but Risperidone is the one I have the most knowledge on and one of the most commonly prescribed.

Plus, it's not like I'm actually prescribing anything, it would be impossible to accurately guess which drug is best for the thread starter without knowing the individual's health risks, I was simply exemplifying a common atypical antipsychotic.
Sabertooth
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by Cat476)
What, compared to typical/aytpical antipsychotics like Clozapine which can cause long term conditions such as tardive dyskinesia or neuroleptic malignant syndrome? Risperidone is as effective but with less serious side effects, hence why I chose that drug to mention. I know there are others but Risperidone is the one I have the most knowledge on and one of the most commonly prescribed.

Plus, it's not like I'm actually prescribing anything, it would be impossible to accurately guess which drug is best for the thread starter without knowing the individual's health risks, I was simply exemplifying a common atypical antipsychotic.
You mean compared to the fact that risperidone is a atypical antipsychotic and can cause both tardive dyskinesia and neuroleptic malignant syndrome?

Obviously I know you're not actually prescribing anything, it just seemed funny you picked one seemingly out of thin air.

And, btw, if you're using something as an example you should be saying "such as" or "for example", not "probably".
Cat476
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by Sabertooth)
You mean compared to the fact that risperidone is a atypical antipsychotic and can cause both tardive dyskinesia and neuroleptic malignant syndrome?

Obviously I know you're not actually prescribing anything, it just seemed funny you picked one seemingly out of thin air.

And, btw, if you're using something as an example you should be saying "such as" or "for example", not "probably".
Okay well I might have been wrong on that part but answered the actual question the OP asked regarding how common it was.
Instead of being salty towards people using their time with no ulterior motive other than simply trying to help, why don't you just politely point out my lack of technicality (I never claimed to know anything other than basic general information on such a topic so I don't see why my error is such a massive problem to you) and advise the OP yourself as you clearly have a lot more experience in this field...
mah1000000
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Only if you are blind and deaf.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What factors affect your mental health the most right now?

Anxiousness about lockdown easing (150)
4.91%
Uncertainty around my education (450)
14.74%
Uncertainty around my future career prospects (342)
11.2%
Lack of purpose or motivation (424)
13.89%
Lack of support system (eg. teachers, counsellors, delays in care) (143)
4.68%
Impact of lockdown on physical health (185)
6.06%
Loneliness (263)
8.61%
Financial worries (111)
3.64%
Concern about myself or my loves ones getting/having been ill (123)
4.03%
Exposure to negative news/social media (139)
4.55%
Lack of real life entertainment (167)
5.47%
Lack of confidence in making big life decisions (269)
8.81%
Worry about missed opportunities during the pandemic (287)
9.4%

Watched Threads