username3691874
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
Anyone know how to revise effectively for GCSE Computer Science (9-1) J276 in order to be able to achieve a grade 9, for both paper 1 and paper 2(especially paper 2, as our class, has been poorly taught about the contents for it).
S.H.Rahman
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
I found these videos very helpful when doing the course the new spec has had a few changes only watch topics you are doing and make sure to check against your specification to see all points are covered but all in all this helped me when I was in a similar position to you with a not so great teacher!
CapitalistAlgan
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
cgp revision workbook got me an 8, close to 9.
username3691874
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
(Original post by CapitalistAlgan)
cgp revision workbook got me an 8, close to 9.
Thank you for your reply. As a matter of fact, I forgot to mention that I only use the CGP revision book when revising for computing, however, I can't seem to retain the information very well from the book(possibly because we only started computer science in year 9), any suggestions as to how to use the book and should I use a checklist for revision, something like that?
username3434964
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by BT144)
Thank you for your reply. As a matter of fact, I forgot to mention that I only use the CGP revision book when revising for computing, however, I can't seem to retain the information very well from the book(possibly because we only started computer science in year 9), any suggestions as to how to use the book and should I use a checklist for revision, something like that?
I'm choosing my options and am gonna pick computer science.

We don't start it until year 10 so feel lucky
Usmaan.khan
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Hey,what videos are those?
Happyburger
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by Bill Nye)
I'm choosing my options and am gonna pick computer science.

We don't start it until year 10 so feel lucky
The GCSE Computer Science is in meltdown in schools so don’t pick it. This year, the coursework that most students worked for so long on was cancelled leaving everyone angry. But did you know you still have to do it next year yet it won’t count for any marks either?

It is the hardest GCSE to do by miles and that’s official. Teachers are poor because they aren’t qualified (read the news about the crisis in schools teaching this subject). Most students find it so hard that other subjects suffer and they get poor grades in them. You have to work evenings and weekends just to keep up. You have no time for anything else.

Pick something else. Don’t pick GCSE Computer Science.
Usmaan.khan
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by S.H.Rahman)
I found these videos very helpful when doing the course the new spec has had a few changes only watch topics you are doing and make sure to check against your specification to see all points are covered but all in all this helped me when I was in a similar position to you with a not so great teacher!
Hey,what videos where those?thanks
CapitalistAlgan
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by BT144)
yeah i usually read the revision guide page then i do the complementary question page on the workbook. as soon as im done with the question i check it and if i missed out any marks i write it down in the answer box to try and let it stick to my head. maybe like that it'll work better than just using the rev. guide
S.H.Rahman
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by Usmaan.khan)
Hey,what videos where those?thanks
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rxSW...X-eslHud2Lyycd

Forgot to put in link :L
tutor2
Rep:
?
Report 10 months ago
You need a private tutor
tutor2
Rep:
?
Report 10 months ago
That's not sensible , computing if you get it is easy and you can wind up with a 70.000 pound job , Face it computers are all around you can you honestly ignore that ? Previously I found that students came for theory. Now Students have started coming on mass as they don't assess the coursework and the computing is instead tested in the exam. Classes are often led by people who know little about computing and are qualified teachers. Myself and a few others came from computing careers and worked as Computing teachers but even then it is difficult to teach 30 kids when some want to sit there and play games . Tuition is the way if you want to succeed, there is a marked rise people seeking tutors
(Original post by Happyburger)
The GCSE Computer Science is in meltdown in schools so don’t pick it. This year, the coursework that most students worked for so long on was cancelled leaving everyone angry. But did you know you still have to do it next year yet it won’t count for any marks either?

It is the hardest GCSE to do by miles and that’s official. Teachers are poor because they aren’t qualified (read the news about the crisis in schools teaching this subject). Most students find it so hard that other subjects suffer and they get poor grades in them. You have to work evenings and weekends just to keep up. You have no time for anything else.

Pick something else. Don’t pick GCSE Computer Science.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

With HE fairs postponed, would a virtual HE fair be useful?

Yes (68)
62.39%
No (41)
37.61%

Watched Threads