The Student Room Group

Tax Grad Schemes with GCSE English C

Hey everyone!

As I'm sure all other final year students are, I'm currently applying to graduate roles. My degree is in accountancy and am applying to mainly tax graduate roles!

I'm predicted a 2:1, have 380 UCAS points from my top 3 A-levels and have an A grade at GCSE Maths.

However... the vast majority of good graduate employers are asking for a B grade at GCSE English and I only have a C grade. It was the first GCSE I took and started the coursework in year 9, and completed in year 10 so I didn't do too bad considering!

Most grad schemes that require this literally do not even let you fill in an application form where I could probably gain some extra credit from my work experience etc. I've emailed some employers asking for consideration as my written and oral communication is good, as well as spelling, punctuation and grammar but have all been turned down.

What shall I do about this? It's so frustrating as I have great English skills, more than I'd need for a tax role which I think I'd be really happy in and good at! Do I have time to take the GCSE again before grad schemes start? Really don't know how to get around this annoying issue!

Any suggestions would be sooooo appreciated!!!!
Original post by China-97

It doesn't sound like you have much of a choice but to re-do the English GCSE.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending