The Student Room Group

Not the ordinary art school debate

Hello there,

I am not interested in starting the usual argument of those who is in favor or art school and those who is in favor of being self thaught. I think we all agree that there are enough with those threads.

However, I have decided to attend an art atelier/smaller art school. The only problem, I don't know which one. I am aiming to start studying this fall, so I really need to hurry up with my research. I have been googling and researching ALL internet it feels like and I am extremely overwhelmed.

I am interested in traditonal art schools, meaning that the big colleges fall away since I really want to learn how to draw and paint. I have mainly been looking at art ateliers/smaller schools such as Florence Academy of Art or Watts atelier etc. I have been looking at the ARC approved schools and they are all interesting, but I wanted some input from the community.

I live in Sweden, so a school in Europe would be preferred, however I am eager for a solid education so open for suggestions in US or anywhere.

Learning how to draw and paint in the traditional way and then use that as a foundation for experimentation in more contemporary art is the goal but need the foundation first.

Would mean the world to me if as many of you as possible just drop names of schools or teachers or whatever to help me manage this research "jungle".

Best regards,

David
Original post by DaJohansson
Hello there,

I am not interested in starting the usual argument of those who is in favor or art school and those who is in favor of being self thaught. I think we all agree that there are enough with those threads.

However, I have decided to attend an art atelier/smaller art school. The only problem, I don't know which one. I am aiming to start studying this fall, so I really need to hurry up with my research. I have been googling and researching ALL internet it feels like and I am extremely overwhelmed.

I am interested in traditonal art schools, meaning that the big colleges fall away since I really want to learn how to draw and paint. I have mainly been looking at art ateliers/smaller schools such as Florence Academy of Art or Watts atelier etc. I have been looking at the ARC approved schools and they are all interesting, but I wanted some input from the community.

I live in Sweden, so a school in Europe would be preferred, however I am eager for a solid education so open for suggestions in US or anywhere.

Learning how to draw and paint in the traditional way and then use that as a foundation for experimentation in more contemporary art is the goal but need the foundation first.

Would mean the world to me if as many of you as possible just drop names of schools or teachers or whatever to help me manage this research "jungle".

Best regards,

David

I know someone who strongly recommended http://londonfineartstudios.com/atelier-training/ in London but it's a bit of a dying market so limited options from reputable organisations (and lots of small start ups trying to make some quick cash for a substandard service).

Quick Reply

Latest