stakif
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
Hi folks,

I graduated with a 2:1 in Accounting and Finance last summer and I've just been given word that my stage 2 appeal to the SPSO (Scottish complaints organisation) has failed. This means I no longer have any claim against my University, however I'm still curious as to how this essay effectively downgraded my classification.

The only module of 8 which fell outwith the standard of First Class Honours was wholly made up of the following essay. I prefer numbers to letters and I knew the essay wasn't at A-grade level, but I personally thought it deserved around 55%-60%, which would've got me my First. It received 48%, which meant it wasn't considered "borderline" and therefore wasn't to be included in the double marking sample.

Anyone with good knowledge of the company and marking process please feel free to give some pointers, or perhaps suggest a reputable site I can send it to. Making this post and getting feedback is purely for my closure.

Thanks all
Attached files
DJKL
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by stakif)
Hi folks,

I graduated with a 2:1 in Accounting and Finance last summer and I've just been given word that my stage 2 appeal to the SPSO (Scottish complaints organisation) has failed. This means I no longer have any claim against my University, however I'm still curious as to how this essay effectively downgraded my classification.

The only module of 8 which fell outwith the standard of First Class Honours was wholly made up of the following essay. I prefer numbers to letters and I knew the essay wasn't at A-grade level, but I personally thought it deserved around 55%-60%, which would've got me my First. It received 48%, which meant it wasn't considered "borderline" and therefore wasn't to be included in the double marking sample.

Anyone with good knowledge of the company and marking process please feel free to give some pointers, or perhaps suggest a reputable site I can send it to. Making this post and getting feedback is purely for my closure.

Thanks all
I think you lost marks heavily because you possibly somewhat ignored this statement in the brief,

"In both parts of your answer you should clearly establish why the drivers and capabilities you have identified are strategic in nature."

The bold was in the question and your essay does not clearly show how the points you identify are strategic, whilst they may well be you really needed to sell and explain why, as you did not you in effect did not address the question set.

It is very easy done, in fact I did it myself at university re a question on Dickens,. I expect this is the reason, not actually answering the question asked.

Did you not get feedback from the university re the piece?
stakif
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
Hi DJKL, many thanks for responding.

Yes I did receive feedback on the paper, not all of which I agreed with. There was a specific marking schedule given to markers and students which stated what the marker should be looking for. Unfortunately I couldn’t find a copy just now.

I remember the largest piece of marking award was for the appropriate application of recognised economic models. I put most effort into PESTEL and less so the Five Forces model.

The marking feedback was that I merely make mention of PESTEL, without actually utilising it. That section got around 15% of the total paper, whereas the maximum was 40%.

I was marked reasonably well on the Critical Evaluation section and got a C for that. Finally I scored poorly in the two smallest sections of Referencing and Presentation (around 40% of total available for those sections) – aspects I normally did well in throughout my time at University and which I thought deserved a high-B grade.

I re-read the piece for the first time in several months when I made the first post. I realised much of what I wrote was purely descriptive and not enough was made of how the company can change its strategy to deal with threats. I ended up spending way too long researching and not enough time forming a coherent overview.

However, given that I only needed an extra 2% from somewhere, I was gutted by this award and my school’s intractable stance on remarking.

Thanks again for your thoughts. I agree this was just a case of not answering the bloody question.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you tempted to change your firm university choice on A-level results day?

Yes, I'll try and go to a uni higher up the league tables (61)
29.05%
Yes, there is a uni that I prefer and I'll fit in better (15)
7.14%
No I am happy with my choice (118)
56.19%
I'm using Clearing when I have my exam results (16)
7.62%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed