The Student Room Group

How much should I insist my partner spends on my engagement ring?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Jack22031994
and things such as gemstones, are prettier anyway!

exactly. and they have such a variety of gemstones so you can get a ring with a meaning rather than a plain old diamond.
Original post by solasregina
You should not insist at all that your partner spends money on your engagement ring. It is up to him to make that decision. If he really wanted to engage you he would have brought the ring already or perhaps it is simply out of his budget right now.
Does he give you a reason why he won't buy you a ring?

Well we’re already sort of engaged but I wasn’t smitten on the ring he bought, so it’s on hold at the moment.
Are you actually an idiot? Is the price of the ring the only thing you’re concerned about, not the thought that he put into it?
Original post by Pleasantri
Well we’re already sort of engaged but I wasn’t smitten on the ring he bought, so it’s on hold at the moment.

That's incredibly rude and thoughtless.

It's only an engagement ring, no need to ovverreact in such a way.
Reply 25
I entirely agree here, its not how much it costs thats important, its the meaning.
Is it 3 or 4 times their monthly income men that are expected to spend?

What matters is what the ring represents, not the cost. If you love them and truly want to spend your life with them the ring itself doesn't matter. The whole x amount of your wages was just an add campaign anyway.
Just go for something pretty and that's a price you/ they can actually afford.

Frankly I wouldn't want to be wearing anything that expensive anyway. I'd be too worried about loosing it. And I'd much rather the money go into our wedding, honeymoon or a nice microwave than a rock for my finger.
Reply 27
Men aren't expected to spend anything on things like you. Generally it's up to the one giving the gift to determine the value of the gift not the receiver. If you weren't happy with the ring, tough. It's up to your fiance to decide what he's giving you. So if the fiance is bringing in an expensive ring... What exactly are you contributing to the relationship? Don't use tradition on why he should spend so much money on you, there are many wasteful traditions (such as this one) which have gone out the window (unfortunately the several times their monthly income remains).
How has this knob-end not been banned yet for blatant trolling? Been at it for ages.
Reply 29
Original post by It's****ingWOODY
How has this knob-end not been banned yet for blatant trolling? Been at it for ages.

Its TSR, I've seen threads that are several years old which are trolls but are still active.
Diamonds are gemstones.
Original post by VGM
Its TSR, I've seen threads that are several years old which are trolls but are still active.

Yeah, but what with trolling being so common nowadays, and the OP having several provocative troll threads under their belt... just saying, the obvious trolls are normally banned quite quickly, but this one has slipped under the net somehow.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending