The Student Room Group

Don't understand this kind of mentality

Why some girls (definitely not all) use men just because they want someone to buy them gifts/pay for things etc.

I have a colleague who has been seeing a guy for a few months, and openly admits she has no feelings for him and that he'd never be her boyfriend. She says that she likes him as a person but doesn't find him physically attractive, doesn't really enjoy having sex with him (but does anyway) and cringes when he kisses/touches her.

I asked her why they weren't just good friends then and she said if they were then he wouldn't buy her things/take her out to places/pay for stuff so she wants to 'keep him around' for now..

I wanted to say that she may as well become a prostitute so that she could sleep with men for money..

I just find this a shame; I know a couple of other people like that who don't like the guy enough but keep them around because they pay for stuff. I've never wanted a man to spoil me or shower me with gifts and I'd rather buy stuff with my own money..

Does anyone else find this mentality odd?
Well of course it is odd and they are just shallow people who put materialism before morals. Men and women.
Yeah thats a really quite a mean way to use someone i think especially if they are also investing emotionally with someone but that person is only using them
I believe they are called gold diggers, poor guy, does he know he is being taken advantage of? Plus to pay to take her places and buy her stuff without any reciprocation just suggests he is a pushover.
At the end of the day its wrong. But if the guy is happy to continue doing it then whatever. If the guy starts paying for things and the girl does not even try to offer to pay then he should be able to see he may be being used.
Reply 5
Same reason guys keep a girl around that they have no interest in a future with: means to an end. People use people for all kinds of different things. Money, sex, companionship.

I doubt he’s with her for her personality, doesn’t sound like she’s much of a catch! Both are just ticking boxes.
I find it odd that you're friends with someone like this.
Reply 7
Original post by daydream28
Why some girls (definitely not all) use men just because they want someone to buy them gifts/pay for things etc.

I have a colleague who has been seeing a guy for a few months, and openly admits she has no feelings for him and that he'd never be her boyfriend. She says that she likes him as a person but doesn't find him physically attractive, doesn't really enjoy having sex with him (but does anyway) and cringes when he kisses/touches her.

I asked her why they weren't just good friends then and she said if they were then he wouldn't buy her things/take her out to places/pay for stuff so she wants to 'keep him around' for now..

I wanted to say that she may as well become a prostitute so that she could sleep with men for money..

I just find this a shame; I know a couple of other people like that who don't like the guy enough but keep them around because they pay for stuff. I've never wanted a man to spoil me or shower me with gifts and I'd rather buy stuff with my own money..

Quite certain this can happen in any gender not just female. It is just the popular culture render the fact that male should play an active role to confess to girl first, that makes female become the lead and powerful role before anything(relationship, makeout, whatever it is) start.

Obviously it is much time efficient to work for a shift to earn money instead of maintaining intimacy with a few guys you dont like in order to sway them to buy stuff. So what they want is not money is actually the manipulation and the feeling of power.

As for what factor make this happen, you can do some research on manipulative personality, I am too lazy to type to explain everything lol
please tell the guy please, save him
if he continues he will just grow more and more love for her and when she breaks it up
it will be terrible, make him depressed you dont even know

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending