Which University Course whould I take up after my Gap Year? Watch

chillbill79
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
The situation at the moment.
Taking Maths, Music and French A Levels, and Further Maths AS Level.
Predicted A*A*A(a)
Gcses: 8a*2a2b

Don't know whether to take Music at Oxford (+ 4 other places) or Maths/Econ at UCL, LSE, St. Andrews, Durham or Warwick.
Ik this is quite bizarre, I'll elaborate.
Music for me would be the best in term of course quality, enabling to me to be somewhat of a polymath due to the collegiate system of Oxford, whilst doing a thoroughly enjoyable course with hopefully quite good graduate prospects due to Oxfords Rep. Downside, wouldn't want to study it anywhere else. (Also have Grade 8 in both Piano and Violin, and Grade 5/5 Jazz Piano and Distinction in my Piano Diploma from ABRSM).
Or.
Maths/Econ at a "Target" Uni, but fat chance of Oxbridge. This would make me a more analytical thinker, skill me up in what I see to be a very interesting field relevant to our world and of course the language of the universe, with I'd hope lots of performance opportunities.

I also learn French and Spanish and hope to intern at Goldman in my 3rd year.
I know this is a lot to take in but if I could have some input I'd love that.
I.e. Oxford or Nothing vs Logic, lol.
(:)^2
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Daddy AF 😤🔪👌😘
chillbill79
Rep:
?
Tell me something I don't know jheeeeéz
Duncan2012
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
What do you want to do career wise?
Bahl12
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by chillbill79)
The situation at the moment.
Taking Maths, Music and French A Levels, and Further Maths AS Level.
Predicted A*A*A(a)
Gcses: 8a*2a2b

Don't know whether to take Music at Oxford (+ 4 other places) or Maths/Econ at UCL, LSE, St. Andrews, Durham or Warwick.
Ik this is quite bizarre, I'll elaborate.
Music for me would be the best in term of course quality, enabling to me to be somewhat of a polymath due to the collegiate system of Oxford, whilst doing a thoroughly enjoyable course with hopefully quite good graduate prospects due to Oxfords Rep. Downside, wouldn't want to study it anywhere else. (Also have Grade 8 in both Piano and Violin, and Grade 5/5 Jazz Piano and Distinction in my Piano Diploma from ABRSM).
Or.
Maths/Econ at a "Target" Uni, but fat chance of Oxbridge. This would make me a more analytical thinker, skill me up in what I see to be a very interesting field relevant to our world and of course the language of the universe, with I'd hope lots of performance opportunities.

I also learn French and Spanish and hope to intern at Goldman in my 3rd year.
I know this is a lot to take in but if I could have some input I'd love that.
I.e. Oxford or Nothing vs Logic, lol.
Imperial?
showaeski
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
I'd go for maths/economics and it's still worth applying to Oxbridge. But I think a degree in maths or economics would be more valuable than a degree in music even if it is from Oxford.
chillbill79
Rep:
?
Career wise, I'm open. If I did go for Maths/Econ, then I'd like to do a further masters like in Financial Econ at Cambridge, or even perhaps an MBA. It's all very well to say those things but I'm not as well informed as I could be. I do see myself working in Venture Capital, with probably Investment Banking as a stepstone, and open to going it on my own with a start-up if I believe in the core mission.

With regards to Imperial, the entry requirements are extremely high, but I have respect for the Maths with stats for finance bsc, tbh don't think as further maths would cut it.
In regards to the comment on Oxford Music, I'm inclined to agree. Learning how to think (i.e. Maths/Econ) ranks higher then just saying I made it to Oxford.
chillbill79
Rep:
?
Hangon yep I'm the daddy smd everybody, don't ban this tsr not sexual not sexual but please dont say nasty things to me ty I am a God Hurry up with my damn croissants #innit yeh
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Sheffield Hallam University
    Get into Teaching in South Yorkshire Undergraduate
    Wed, 26 Feb '20
  • The University of Law
    Solicitor Series: Assessing Trainee Skills – LPC, GDL and MA Law - London Moorgate campus Postgraduate
    Wed, 26 Feb '20
  • University of East Anglia
    PGCE Open day Postgraduate
    Sat, 29 Feb '20

Do you get study leave?

Yes- I like it (145)
60.17%
Yes- I don't like it (11)
4.56%
No- I want it (68)
28.22%
No- I don't want it (17)
7.05%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise