Better Education System: England or Scotland?

Watch
This discussion is closed.
ScottishBrexitor
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
Both countries may be part of our beloved United Kingdom, but they have strikingly different systems of educating our children. England has GCSEs and A Levels while Scotland has Nationals, Highers and Advanced Highers and pointless other qualifications which are a drain on finances.

Which country has the better education system in Britain and why?

My answer is England and the reason is because they have a competitive education system with state schools, grammar schools, different types of private schools which as we know competition makes everything better.

Scotland's education sucks monkey ass to a whole new level. The system is designed to make the poor poorer and the middle class richer. The SNP have made Scottish education by far the worst of the worst in the whole world. Thousands upon thousands of new young Scots cannot read, write and speak to save their lives and the SNP also have wasted thousands of pounds by having 7 levels of qualifications in the high school system, notably Nationals 1-5, Highers and Advanced Highers, National 4 and under are a waste of time, energy and money as they are designed for the dyslexic, autistic, council estate kids who schools think may struggle in the proper exams and thus instead of getting the teachers to do their job better they instead give them easier coursework as these schools fear that these kids will only get Cs as opposed to getting As. If these teachers instead did a better job and not be lazy these special kids might achieve well in the int 2/national 5s.

In the intermediate 1 and 2 days there was very little difference between int 1 and int 2, just things like in Biology you would get away with saying "accurate" while in int 2 would had to say "reliable". Scotland also wastes cash on pointless NABs which are required for pupils to pass in order to sit the exams. The excuse for this is that it acts as good practice for exams, well why not just let schools make their own mock tests, and we also have prelims too btw.

Unlike Scotland, the English system requires all pupils to sit a certain number of GCSEs because England knows how to run an education system and when push come to shove these failing kids will still achieve some success as the teachers teach better and the system sees shitholes like Hackney have their pupils get good marks while Scotland sees their shitholes do the opposite. Poor and less bright kids still achieve good grades in GCSEs in England because the system gets teachers to teach better.

In conclusion, England spanks Scotland in terms of education because England treats all it's pupils equal and doesn't waste money on pointless NABs or lower level qualifications for special needy pupils like the SNP and SQA love to do. When the Conservatives get a majority in the Scottish Parliamentary election in 2021 they should abolish the SQA and bring in English GCSEs and A Levels as these are far superior to anything Scotland has to offer. In addition to that having all schools fly the UK flag with all pupils making a pledge of allegiance to Queen and Country at the start of school to piss of the SNP for their criminal offences of destroying education in Scotland like the big bang did to the dinosaurs.
CaitlinM1
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Almost 98% of the information that you stated in your above point are completely incorrect. As someone who has been through both systems I would never draw an overall 'better' system but would like the advise you that you need better sources because where ever you have learnt such information clearly lack research. I'm not going to go through every point with you but the point of a National 4 is not for the many misinformed stereotypes that you have stated but for those who do sit that national 5 exam and then do not achieve the grade that they wish to have. Thus allowing students who have had a bad day or didn't have ideal exam conditions not to have wasted an entire year. As for achieving the National 4 qualification they learnt the exact same as a National 5 student would but in addition they are continually assessed throughout the year, in addition completing a folio. In regards to National 1-3 they are scarcely mentioned and are part of the Broad General Education rather than the senior phase/Scottish Qualifications.
Also in regards to the Government it is clear to see that you don't get to experience the many wonderful benefits that SNP have brought about and in comparison to the UK Government they have actually achieved a majority which meant that the people of Scotland voted from them and therefore have achieved a far better NHS when the same cannot be said for England and we have access to free tuition fees
thesunshinegirl
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
While it is possible to draw comparisons between the two, there is no way in which you can definitively say that one is better than the other, as education is something which is personal to each child and their teachers. However, having partaken in both systems, what I liked specifically about the Scottish system was that it was tiered, and those tiers weren't based on the child's' age. For example, most children were streamed to do their Nat4 qualification in S3, Nat5 in S4, Higher in S5 and Adv. Highers in S6. However, if for some reason you or your teacher thought you wouldn't achieve at that level, you could easily be allowed to take on the lower qualification (eg Nat4 in S4), and progress onto the higher qualification in the next academic year (Nat5 in S5).

Additionally, I think blaming the teachers for this is perhaps a little unnecessary - the only teachers I ever came across in my schools worked longer hours than those for which they were paid, and many of them volunteered to be part of dedicated support teams for both intellectually and physically disabled students. Excluding such children from education is clearly not the answer. If the quality of a public service is poor nationally, it is usually the result of underfunding (something which the SNP is absolutely guilty of in education).

I'd like to see your evidence that the intellectually disabled and/or poorer students in England do better off than they do in Scotland.

Finally, dyslexia, autism and living on a council estate do not, for the most part, factor in what grades a child is capable of achieving. Please refrain from bringing those factors into this argument - it is entirely unhelpful to your argument.
Liam stephenson
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
If think all children in the Scottish education system in National 4 all have some sort of learning dissabilty is very wrong and is quite frankly disrespectful having been taught in a national 4 class it is not as high a level as Nat 5 but is a major progression to a national 5. Put it short you are an ********* and what you said is very disrespectful
Bar1222
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
You seem to have no intelligence of the SQA but we will put that aside for now. You have just said in your concluding statement that you would happily reduce Scotland’s devolved powers to the English and MAKE the Scottish take GCSE’s, fly the flag of Great Britain and make them sing god save the queen. That is infact a substantial move to a dictatorship against Scotland as it has been for so long before hand. Might I also say that having a weak essay structure does not improve your argument as it has no arguments for Scotland thus informing all readers that you are biased to the English making your whole argument pointless as it can not be valid on the bases of incorrect information warped by opinion than fact. Now back to where I was before on stating that you want to crush Scotland’s right to have its own say for the people which if did happen would have monstrous consequences like for example riots or even worse like what has happened in Belfast in the 70’s which I am not encouraging to happen but that is the events that occurred to make Belfast the way it was in the 1970’s. Now let’s get to it on why you said the English education system is better that Scotland’s. Yes I agree with the point of below national 4 being a waste of time I have no contradicting views on that but you said Scotland doesn’t have a minimum number of national 5’s for pupils to achieve which is rubbish completely made up we all have to take six subjects at nat 5 but if you are not passing national 5 in prelims then there is no point to continue with a level that is too difficult for you which is completely logical and so you would move to nat 4 which in this case is acceptable as a qualification as it proves you are finally ready to learn nat 5. Now highers and advanced highers. A-level is equivalent to higher and a little beyond but they are generally thought to have tiny difference but advanced highers trump Your A-levels being the highest qualification you can achieve as the level that Scotland has for their eldest year is equivalent to the first year of university for those who are smart enough which is clearly not England having the education system they run on they have to take two years for either A-levels or GCSE sorry I don’t recall which one it is because my charge is about to die but we do all of our levels in one year because we have the power to make our education system better and that is exactly what we have done and I will defend against any English person who tries to take my freedom away and the message is gathering momentum and sooner than you think we will have unrest in this country about how we are treated. As a final point I would like to raise the fact you made which I find is complete ironic about how our system is made to make the poor poorer and middle class and the rich richer. You support the Conservative party which is obvious and their prime basis is to have tax cuts on the rich and raise retirement for the working class. I have witnessed the tori’s in action as my county was SNP for a long time and now has been taken over by conservative and about a month after the tori’s taking over all of our parking needs to be paid for with an outrageous amount of money which is a classic example of conservative taking money from the poor who have no other choice but to park there and compensate for the tax cuts on the rich thank you.
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What do you want most from university virtual open days and online events?

I want to be able to watch in my own time rather than turn up live (178)
28.48%
I want to hear more about the specifics of the course (104)
16.64%
I want to be able to dip in and dip out of lots of different sessions (58)
9.28%
I want to meet current students (52)
8.32%
I want to meet academics and the people that will be teaching me (50)
8%
I want to have a taster lecture or workshop to see what the teaching is like (126)
20.16%
My parents/guardians are more interested than me to be honest (37)
5.92%
Other things – I'll tell you in the thread (20)
3.2%

Watched Threads