stressedmadman
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
I really feel down and it's all because of my A Level subjects. I'm seriously stressed and I know that I'm going to fail at least 1 of my AS levels. I'm considering declaring this year a lost cause, dropping my subjects and starting fresh next year with new subjects and moving from my secondary school of 5 and-a-bit years to a local college. Is this something I should do if I know I can get 3 or even 4 A Levels by doing so?

Thanks
Petulia
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
I would say you might as well do the AS this year, and next year start over. It's only January, so you do have lots of time to catch up and maybe even start liking your subjects, and if you do well, you'll have an extra AS at the end of it anyway.

Drop out this year only if you're going to do something valuable with your time e.g work until September or volunteer or take a short course etc.
stressedmadman
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
(Original post by Petulia)
I would say you might as well do the AS this year, and next year start over. It's only January, so you do have lots of time to catch up and maybe even start liking your subjects, and if you do well, you'll have an extra AS at the end of it anyway.

Drop out this year only if you're going to do something valuable with your time e.g work until September or volunteer or take a short course etc.
I understand what you're saying and I get it. But what I'm doing right now is stressing me out so much. I can't emphasise enough the stress I'm under. I can't handle it and there's no way I'm going to be able to turn it around. I know of jobs out there and I know I can get one at least. I just don't see the point in forcing myself to continue with subjects I see no merit in doing and I likely will fail at least one
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
It’s only January now, you can sit the AS of your current exams this year and the A-levels next year OR you can drop your subjects, pick up new ones and start now aiming to sit the A-levels again next year but without the pressure of AS. Instead of working towards the AS exams and revising you can be studying, also you’ll have to work a little during the summer but it saves you a whole year
Daniel Felipe
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Instead of dropping all of your A-levels, maybe just drop one if its that bad. It'll reduce some of the work load and help with the stress. If you already do 3 subjects or less then try and persevere through the rest of the year.
Svesh
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Was asked to do chem bio maths and phys to do medicine. I had no interest in medicine so had no motivation to work and failed badly. Restarted this year doing maths further maths and phys and now I'm allowed to do watever at uni so motivated and doing well
Petulia
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by stressedmadman)
I understand what you're saying and I get it. But what I'm doing right now is stressing me out so much. I can't emphasise enough the stress I'm under. I can't handle it and there's no way I'm going to be able to turn it around. I know of jobs out there and I know I can get one at least. I just don't see the point in forcing myself to continue with subjects I see no merit in doing and I likely will fail at least one
If you're certain then email the college/sixth form you're interested in next year, and just ask them to make sure that you'll be eligible to apply to start in September. It shouldn't be a problem but it's best to just check anyway. Speak to your tutor at college and let them know you're thinking of dropping out, and then do it the proper way i.e don't just stop attending, tell them that you'd like to withdraw from the college.

Also just so you know, if you live in England and you're 16/17 right now, then the issue you'll have is that the compulsory school leavers age is 18 now. So if you're between 16-18 and not in college, you need to be working, volunteering or in an apprenticeship. I'm not sure how much this rule is enforced but it is worth speaking to your tutor at college about this before making any decisions.
(If you're from Wales/Scotland then ignore this last paragraph)
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What factors affect your mental health the most right now? (select all that apply)

Lack of purpose or routine (119)
15.51%
Uncertainty around my education (124)
16.17%
Uncertainty around my future career prospects (72)
9.39%
Isolating with family (51)
6.65%
Lack of support system (eg. Teachers, counsellors) (30)
3.91%
Lack of exercise/ability to be outside (66)
8.6%
Loneliness (81)
10.56%
Financial worries (32)
4.17%
Concern about myself or my loved ones getting ill (70)
9.13%
Exposure to negative news/social media (50)
6.52%
Lack of real life entertainment (eg. cinema, gigs, restaurants) (72)
9.39%

Watched Threads