user202
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
We are 3 months away from the exam and haven't even covered a majority of the topics.
I've revised every single bit of computer science myself.
However, I feel like I'm still not good with past papers because we're not being given adequate exam advice.
Honestly this subject is stressing me out and the fact that there aren't past papers available makes it worse.
I guess this thread is just me asking for any exam advice and whether there's a specific way to answer certain questions.
The papers seem to be about application of knowledge but a few questions completely stoop me.
It's gotten to the extent where I'm thinking of dropping it.
I'm not even sure of my grade because we've never taken both papers. We've only ever taken one computer science paper every time we had a mock exam.
It's causing me significant stress, but I'm still very hazy on whether I want to truly drop it.

Apologies for the rant.
Exam advice, anyone?
Svesh
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
50% of my gcse comp sci was coursework to make something. I just used forums and go an A in that. Then for the exam mostly memorised the notes and got an A for that aswell. From my experience most gce compsci teachers aren't that good. Self teach
user202
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
(Original post by aceplayyt)
50% of my gcse comp sci was coursework to make something. I just used forums and go an A in that. Then for the exam mostly memorised the notes and got an A for that aswell. From my experience most gce compsci teachers aren't that good. Self teach
Self teaching is difficult without past papers
Like, I've finished the notes.
All I can do now is rely on videos to expand my knowledge and hopefully there are good 9-1 ones out there.
Thankfully the NEA has been cancelled so that's a relief.
When did you start revising fully for computer science?
Svesh
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by user202)
Self teaching is difficult without past papers
Like, I've finished the notes.
All I can do now is rely on videos to expand my knowledge and hopefully there are good 9-1 ones out there.
Thankfully the NEA has been cancelled so that's a relief.
When did you start revising fully for computer science?
oh I didn't take gcses that seriously as I was getting A/A* without doing much work so I think it was about 1 week before the exam (properly). Purely memorising notes and did 1 past paper that existed.
Happyburger
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
You are not alone. The GCSE is so hard. The designers of the course made big mistakes and put too many topics in it. The cancelled coursework wasted a lot of students time as well. Most schools don’t even have a properly qualified Computer Science teacher, something schools and teachers try hard to keep hidden from students.

Your pain is nearly over. Just feel sorry for year 9. Many think Computer Science is writing games and will pick it for GCSE, despite all the warnings. They don’t realise it is an impossible boring course, and the hardest GCSE in school, and they will have to work all hours just to keep up a bit.
username3236796
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
I did GCSE Computer Science last year and our teacher didn’t bother going through most of the content. We were told we would but by the time I realised, it was too late as I had to put all my computer science time into the coursework. I got a high A on my coursework and okay in m exam and got an A.

You have the advantage of less coursework weighting and low grade boundaries. Like others have mentioned, the workload is ridiculous. The GCSE is hard and teachers aren’t qualified. Mine was qualified but was slow and went over binary ten million times. He also gave us an OCR 9-1 revision guide when we did AQA A*-G.

I’m sure you’ll do well, even with the cancelled coursework, as you can dedicate the time. Computer Science tutor is a good channel for videos (including 9-1).
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you think receiving Teacher Assessed Grades will impact your future?

I'm worried it will negatively impact me getting into university/college (220)
43.65%
I'm worried that I'm not academically prepared for the next stage in my educational journey (57)
11.31%
I'm worried it will impact my future career (39)
7.74%
I'm worried that my grades will be seen as 'lesser' because I didn't take exams (106)
21.03%
I don't think that receiving these grades will impact my future (55)
10.91%
I think that receiving these grades will affect me in another way (let us know in the discussion!) (27)
5.36%

Watched Threads