Happy single but sometimes lonely Watch

Supernova36
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
Anyone else get this ?

I am consciously and purposely single, it’s all my choice and mainly because I make absolutely zero effort to find a s/o and I basically cba :laugh:.

However there are some times at night where I think I’m so lonely. I have friends a plenty , I work quite a bit and I am doing a masters so I am fairly busy most of the time but today I had a day off work and uni starts again on Monday so no lectures or coursework due and I just feel bored !

Anyone else happy alone but get these small pangs sometimes ? I stay motivated by working hard towards by goals but one days like today where I have nothing to do my thoughts just wander lol
Angel_Chen
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Yeah I get you like I want a boyfriend but I know I should wait and there's no one worth dating
Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
JDieMstr
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Like they say "The grass looks greener on the other side".
It's****ingWOODY
  • Political Ambassador
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
You already know this is me too babe :lol: I do have an FWB these days but she works nights, so I still get those nights where I'm chilling watching TV and I just fancy a snuggle and there's nobody there to give me one
Angry Bird
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
**** this has been on my mind for a long ****ing time I'll post about it later
gjd800
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Maybe a couple of times a year.
awkwardshortguy
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
I don't ever get lonely in that way, that I can think of, even though I have been alone in that sense for more than two decades. I just remain sexually fruatrated.
Jackg1992
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
I go through is most nights when i struggle to sleep. I choose to be single because I've basically given up on relationships since being cheated on and left out in the cold. I hate the feeling of loneliness but at the same time I'm not going to make any conscious effort to be with anyone again.
Allie4
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
the only real reason why I still date is because of those sometime-moments when I miss a bit of companionship or someone to snuggle up to. other than that single life is awesome, nothing beats doing things on your own terms and having peace and quiet.
Supernova36
Rep:
?
(Original post by It's****ingWOODY)
You already know this is me too babe :lol: I do have an FWB these days but she works nights, so I still get those nights where I'm chilling watching TV and I just fancy a snuggle and there's nobody there to give me one
Haha I can’t even be bothered with a fwb they always go complicated and just as stressful as usual !!!
Bham369
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
I love being single! OK I miss having someone sometimes but overall I love it. I've no time for a relationship and don't feel I can put the effort I think you should into one right now.
VidiaA
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
I spent 11 years single. I can honestly say it was the best thing I ever did for myself. It can be hard at times, but for the most part it was great.

That being said, I met someone at the beginning of last year that finally made sense. I certainly wasn't looking for a relationship, quite the opposite if I am honest. I am never going to wash his socks though, that bit will never change
KeirCKF
Badges: 13
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Supernova36)
Anyone else get this ?

I am consciously and purposely single, it’s all my choice and mainly because I make absolutely zero effort to find a s/o and I basically cba :laugh:.

However there are some times at night where I think I’m so lonely. I have friends a plenty , I work quite a bit and I am doing a masters so I am fairly busy most of the time but today I had a day off work and uni starts again on Monday so no lectures of coursework due and I just feel bored !

Anyone else happy alone but get these small pangs sometimes ? I stay motivated by working hard towards by goals but one days like today where I have nothing to do my thoughts just wander lol
Define lonely. Quite majority of people perceive loneliness as being single, as the matter of fact you can feel lonely when you are not feeling accepted, not being understood, or simply feel lost.

I perceive loneliness as a feeling that we only understand when we know exactly what is the contrast, for example it is not possible to understand happiness when one does not know pain. Most feeling need to first experience a contrast feeling to understand what it is. In extreme case, if a person never experience pleasure, their mind will perceive certain thing that is less painful as pleasure. Of course we cannot define what is pain and pleasure very clearly, and there are obviously many complicated feeling in between both, but I am trying to clarify my point that loneliness is not often what general public perceive as being single.

By reading your post, I have reason to believe that what you define as loneliness is simply the period of your mind enter a calm state which you are aware yourself as single alone without any particular thing to do, comparing to your regular daily routine that is full of works and tasks that occupation in your brain that more or less give you excitement. If that so, you are only alone and single, not lonely. And it is absolutely fine to be alone, because we all need time to be alone and it is part of the psychological needs for us to understand ourselves and handle our emotion.

More importantly if you are occupied with negative mental activities during the calmness of your state of mind, it only reflects that fact that you do not give yourselves enough personal time to deal with your things in your mind that promote negativeness.

If;
being alone is single;
feeling lonely is not being accepted by the others;
being alone do not promote negativeness;
feeling lonely is a negative feeling;
________________________________ _____

Thus, feeling lonely is not equal to being alone.
-Eirlys-
  • Forum Helper
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago

Literally me right now. Given up on men already. :lol:

I get lonely sometimes, but mainly for friendships, not a boyfriend.
It's****ingWOODY
  • Political Ambassador
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Haha I can’t even be bothered with a fwb they always go complicated and just as stressful as usual !!!
Yeah they can do, happened to me before now! The one I'm with now though is really chill, we're literally just friends who happen to be physically attracted to each other and do bits. If I felt like she was starting to get possessive I'd be out of there in a flash, but as it stands I can talk to or even bang whoever I like and she can do the same, we don't have to talk every day and ATM there are literally no negatives in the situation :top:
Supernova36
Rep:
?
(Original post by It's****ingWOODY)
Yeah they can do, happened to me before now! The one I'm with now though is really chill, we're literally just friends who happen to be physically attracted to each other and do bits. If I felt like she was starting to get possessive I'd be out of there in a flash, but as it stands I can talk to or even bang whoever I like and she can do the same, we don't have to talk every day and ATM there are literally no negatives in the situation :top:
Sounds good then , this is exactly what I need :laugh:
Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
karl pilkington
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Are you a virgin
Supernova36
Rep:
?
(Original post by karl pilkington)
Are you a virgin
Looool no
asif007
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
I've been single for as near as makes no difference 8 years now. Had a fling with a girl about 3 years ago but it was far from a relationship and turned out to be a rebound for her. Purely down to luck that I got with her. So I like to think I know better than most about how it feels to be single. Most of the time I have no sympathy for people complaining about being single in the short-term or getting over break-ups . I take BS all the time from girls and I'm just fed up of it now. I couldn't care less if I stayed permanently single for the rest of my life - women have absolutely no importance in my life now. The only pleasure I take from them is to call them out on their BS, poke holes in their logic and make fun of them. Cos that's what they deserve.

It is a struggle sometimes. I have close friends but when I see them spending time with girls or I see couples together, I feel sick. Relationships and all their variations really wind me up because I've found it so difficult to get anywhere on any level with girls - beyond friendship of course. It's nice to have friends but having too many friends who are girls just pushes you further into the friendzone. Girls are so thick and narrow-minded that they categorise guys separately into friend or relationship material. While we guys have to put huge effort in and take rejection over and over again. Eventually when you've been hurt and stood up enough times, you have to wonder if girls are really worth it. I learned the hard way that they are not and they never will be.

So I do my best to enjoy single life and freedom. At times like this you absolutely must be comfortable in your own company and with spending a lot of time by yourself. I work hard, travel, eat well, go to the gym, visit family and friends, go clubbing, perform on stage and in films, DJ for small parties and have many hobbies. I have no girl tying me down complaining about why I'm not giving her enough attention, and I don't have to put up with BS. I don't have to feel guilty about swearing at a girl and I don't give a **** what any of them think about me. To me, that's true freedom.
username3590460
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Kinda. Even tho I’m young and I haven’t even been in a relationship before. It would be quite nice to be in 1 but being single is good. But then I wouldn’t really know if single is better.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you registered to vote?

Yes! (551)
37.82%
No - but I will (114)
7.82%
No - I don't want to (102)
7%
No - I can't vote (<18, not in UK, etc) (690)
47.36%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed