19-99
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
Basically, i've got an offer from Lancaster (AAB), Kent (AAB), Southampton foundation (ABB), Leicester (ABB) I didn't take computing nor maths so these were the best unis imo to apply to.

Out of all these universities Southampton is generally rated the highest and has the best career prospects according to various websites. It is also closer to me then the other universities (especially Lancaster). But the course needed maths so i had to apply to a foundation year. So my question is would it be worth doing this foundation year and building upon my skills before i start the course. Or should i just trek to Lancaster because a foundation year isn't worth the money or time compared to Lancaster.

Also is Lancaster a prestigious university because not many people rate it even though it is in the top 10 in most ranking tables. Would you say it is in the same league as Nottingham, Surrey etc.

(Assuming I like all these courses and campuses/city).
Dregab
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
I don’t know anything about Lancaster but in today’s climate graduate prospects are really important and Southampton is a really good university so I don’t think there is any harm in doing a foundation year.
999tigger
Badges: 19
Report 1 year ago
Depends. It can get you into a uni with lower grades that you othrwise wouldnt be able to join. It costs £££.
alexschmalex
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
I did a foundation year at Sheffield for mech eng, I had offers from other unis to go straight into the course but decided on Sheffield because end of the day it was the best uni. The year was a massive bore but at the end of the day I have no regrets 👌🏾
yellowcopter
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by 19-99)
Basically, i've got an offer from Lancaster (AAB), Kent (AAB), Southampton foundation (ABB), Leicester (ABB) I didn't take computing nor maths so these were the best unis imo to apply to.

Out of all these universities Southampton is generally rated the highest and has the best career prospects according to various websites. It is also closer to me then the other universities (especially Lancaster). But the course needed maths so i had to apply to a foundation year. So my question is would it be worth doing this foundation year and building upon my skills before i start the course. Or should i just trek to Lancaster because a foundation year isn't worth the money or time compared to Lancaster.

Also is Lancaster a prestigious university because not many people rate it even though it is in the top 10 in most ranking tables. Would you say it is in the same league as Nottingham, Surrey etc.

It's kind of a waste of money in this situation. Lancaster, Leicester and Kent are all basically on the same level as Southampton. If anything, I personally think Lancaster and Leicester are slightly better.
username2752874
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by 19-99)

If you don't see yourself doing A Level Maths (which is all you really need for computer science) in a gap year, then do it; even though doing A Level Maths is thousands of pounds cheaper (compared to foundation) it's the route I'd recommend. If you can't do it, you won't be able to handle CompSci. This would give you access to a lot more universities.

If you don't want the above, I believe Lancaster is the best option out of the three. Southampton is the most prestigious, but isn't much better than Lanc. It's definitely not £9250 worth and a year of studying better.

Good luck
Beldlwlrma
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Hi, firstly congratulations on your offers. I am currently doing a Foundation Year for Biochemistry and I think it's definitely worth doing it. It just gives you a good set of skills for your actual course and especially for Maths they will most likely cater your modules to the course you will be doing afterwards. So it will prepare you quite well. Southampton is a really good uni, I went to one of their Open Days. I would definitely take on the offer. Also I think doing a Foundation Year at the same uni will give you advantages for your first year because you will already now the way they assess you and how to meet their expectations etc. So I think it's definitely worth considering. (I hope this makes sense, I am not a native English speaker...)
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• The University of Law
    The Bar Series: Applications and Interviews - London Bloomsbury campus Postgraduate
    Thu, 17 Oct '19
  • Cardiff Metropolitan University
    Undergraduate Open Day - Llandaff Campus Undergraduate
    Sat, 19 Oct '19
  • Coventry University
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 19 Oct '19

Why wouldn't you turn to teachers if you were being bullied?

They might tell my parents (11)
6.15%
They might tell the bully (18)
10.06%
I don't think they'd understand (30)
16.76%
It might lead to more bullying (69)
38.55%
There's nothing they could do (51)
28.49%

Watched Threads