The Student Room Group

A Levels and anxiety/depression

Hii. A bit of background: I’m in Year 12 and I have an anxiety disorder and depression. I’ve had them since I was 11. In 2016 (my Year 11) I was hospitalised from September to December for depression, so I missed quite a lot of time from school. However I still managed to take my GCSEs and get OK/good grades.
Starting sixth form was hard but I had been coping OK since September 2017. I have support from my college’s welfare manager and my form tutor, who are both really helpful. Recently though my depression has got considerably worse and along with it my anxiety has been a lot higher. Last week I didn’t get out of bed for about 5 days. College know that I am struggling to come in and have been great and sent work home, and they’ve told me that I won’t be kicked out of college for low attendance, but I know that they’re just trying to make me worry about it less. If I’m not going in at all then surely they’ll have to kick me out.
I wanted to go back in today (I’ve been off for a week) but anxiety took hold of me again and I felt physically sick trying to leave the house. Im really going to try to go in on Monday but if I don’t then I don’t know how I’m going to continue. I feel like an absolute failure
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by k88ml
Hii. A bit of background: I’m in Year 12 and I have an anxiety disorder and depression. I’ve had them since I was 11. In 2016 (my Year 11) I was hospitalised from September to December for depression, so I missed quite a lot of time from school. However I still managed to take my GCSEs and get OK/good grades.
Starting sixth form was hard but I had been coping OK since September 2017. I have support from my college’s welfare manager and my form tutor, who are both really helpful. Recently though my depression has got considerably worse and along with it my anxiety has been a lot higher. Last week I didn’t get out of bed for about 5 days. College know that I am struggling to come in and have been great and sent work home, and they’ve told me that I won’t be kicked out of college for low attendance, but I know that they’re just trying to make me worry about it less. If I’m not going in at all then surely they’ll have to kick me out.
I wanted to go back in today (I’ve been off for a week) but anxiety took hold of me again and I felt physically sick trying to leave the house. Im really going to try to go in on Monday but if I don’t then I don’t know how I’m going to continue. I feel like an absolute failure

Hey, from personal experience they shouldn't kick you out this year. They'll probably be really supportive around the matter (some people aren't as I found out but there's always someone!).

When you get to year 13 and your exams are coming up they may suggest re-doing your 2nd year say if you get really poorly again.

Quick Reply

Latest