The Student Room Group

International Relations Departments

Hi there,

I am well aware that this is a topic that comes up quite often, so going to try and keep this a bit original to not spam the forum.

I have finished my undergrad and would like to apply for IR at one of the Russell Group-universities in the UK.

I will likely apply for 5 schools and want to make my applications count. I am wondering if somebody has an idea of how to determine which department would be most suitable for my interests? Is there any resources for determining which uni department is strong in which areas?

My interests: state relations, foreign policies, Middle-East, governance, Religion

Hoping for some help, cheers!:smile:
Original post by gdzll

My interests: state relations, foreign policies, Middle-East, governance, Religion

You could study those things at essentially every IR department in the UK. You're going to have to do some digging yourself, I'm afraid.

There will be some departments with special research focuses on the politics of the Middle East, Middle East security, and religion in International Relations. Get on Google and start there.
Reply 2
Hey thanks for this,

Fair enough, kinda what I suspected. Google it is then!
Look on each Uni website at 'Research interest' of staff in that Dept - or their staff profiles.
And if its available, a list of current PhDs in progress.

This will give you a clue about what the focus of the Dept is, and what 'active research' is going on.
Reply 4
Original post by returnmigrant
Look on each Uni website at 'Research interest' of staff in that Dept - or their staff profiles.
And if its available, a list of current PhDs in progress.

This will give you a clue about what the focus of the Dept is, and what 'active research' is going on.

Ah yeaj of course great idea. Cheers!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending